Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kn*b jockeys at Comet - make my blood boil

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2009, 05:57 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kn*b jockeys at Comet - make my blood boil

I don't come on here to rant, but after a visit to our local Comet store with the missus, I thought I'd tell you my little tale.

Anyway's, went to Comet to have a look at new TV's and was quite impressed by the Samsung LED TV's they had on show.
We were looking at a 40" when the inevitable happens and one of the salesman arrives to do his spiel. Eventually he comes to the connectors and says how we need this £80 HDMI cable to get the best picture.
To prove his point he shows us two large TV's sitting next to each other and explains that one is using the £80 cable, the other a £15 cable. He puts on a little demo and to my surprise the supposed cheaper cable is worse on some text.
The salesman then wanders off to get one of the leads from the rack and in the mean time I have a quick shifty behind the 2 TV's. The TV that showed the poorer picture didn't even have an HDMI lead in it, it was connected by component.
The missus, knowing what I'm like, tells me just to leave it as we wouldn't be buying from there anyways.
The salesman then comes back with the wonder lead and proceeds to tell me that this HDMI cable is full HD and 100Hz.
I bit my tongue and decided that it was time to leave. I just wonder how many £80 cables they manage to sell to the uninitiated.

I've heard and read all the stories about Comet/Currys and the like, but had never actually experienced it myself.

Dave.

Last edited by Phantom_Flan_Flinger; 04 September 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are there to make money, good markup on overpriced cables, its a recession and it works most of the time, you knew the score, lots dont so thats their luck out, Comet then make money on stuff like that which enables them to be more competitive on the more visible stuff like the actual telly.

Our local one is crap for a different reason, nothing ever in stock, the staff never seem helpful, and to be honest a bit thick.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:10 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I would have had to rubbish him there and then and make him look like the ***** he was. You shouldn't let people get away with trying to con you. He must have thought you were stupid
Old 04 September 2009, 06:14 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
I would have had to rubbish him there and then and make him look like the ***** he was. You shouldn't let people get away with trying to con you. He must have thought you were stupid
On my own I would have, but the missus didn't want a scene.

Dave.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:15 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Salesmen, loathe 'em or love 'em.....

I went to "view" a (new) WRX and we chatted finance, but he didn't seem very bothered with actually trying to selling me one ?

dunx

P.S. I did turn up in "her" Sainsbury's tractor tho'.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:17 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
which enables them to be more competitive on the more visible stuff like the actual telly.
They were throwing in a free £250 Blu-ray player, but on checking the internet once I got home, the TV on it's own could be had for £250 less.
Old 04 September 2009, 07:00 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Oh man. I wouldnt have been able to resist making him look like a ****! Forget the new telly, get a new missus, lol.
Old 04 September 2009, 07:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I would have had to say something too im afraid to say.
I went with a mate a couple of years back to get a plasma for his new place. £1100 later, the guy is trying to sell him a £200 wall bracket for it too, as apparently only the 200 quid one fitted the TV.

They do take the pee I have to agree.

I dont like being sold things, I prefer to make my own decisions.

Dunx when I bought my new WRX, the sales guy could not even tell me what seats the one the had in stock had in it! They seem to know nothing these days, other than where to put the X's for you to sign.
Old 04 September 2009, 07:35 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The thing that really annoys me is when they try to force the aftercare on to you.

You buy a cheap £200 TV and they want another £80 for aftecare - er no, I'll buy another TV - are you sure? Ask me again and I'll take my business elsewhere.

We have a Sony shop and Panasonic shop in town (same street, same owners) and the dimwits in there are laughable. I asked them about a receiver they had and the guy didn't have a clue.

Its not wonder so many ask for advice online and purchase online. Say you buy from Amazon. It comes home, you use it for a weekend and if you really think its not what you want you can send it back no questions - not go into a shop and have to argue with some spotty little oik that the electrical item is a bag of poo.
Old 04 September 2009, 07:40 PM
yoza
BANNED

The last salesman I bought a car off sold the car by saying...

" Woza please, No, No, It no good for wou, wou fcukin kill wourself, and weave me wiff headache, wou like this Bongo...better for wou, better for me." LOL

No I didnt buy a car off Johnathan Ross.

Last edited by yoza; 05 September 2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05 September 2009, 07:38 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Long time ago I helped someone return a faulty TV (+ 'free' DVD player) to Comet. They tried to get us to keep the 'free' DVD player and deduct £150 from the £500 paid for the TV. I said no we are returning the package - I had to speak to their head office and the Office of Fair Trading to get them to refund the whole amount - but they did in the end. Comet = crap service (worse than Currys)
Old 05 September 2009, 08:50 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Go back and shoot him the cheeky barstad..That is really not good to be playing tricks like that.The only time you will really ever need a better cable is if your running it over long distance,The higher cost cables tend to have better sheilding (so are less susceptible to any interference) but over a short distance which most household tv's are,any hdmi will work just as good...
Old 05 September 2009, 09:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I would have mentioned it to be honest just to clamp him up

But i like doing that anyway, nothing better then making some "know it all" salesman crash and burn
Old 05 September 2009, 09:31 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I have a standard response to these people...

Salesman: Hello sir, can I help you?
Me: I doubt it.

Old 05 September 2009, 10:08 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I use them as my test bed to try out TV,s Blue rays etc..

then buy online or elsewhere, (better price / warranty)

Mart
Old 05 September 2009, 10:42 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Blatent rip off, call trading standards, they are exploiting people.

When the muppets try and sell me a warranty I always tell them I'm an engineer -

Them - "do you want a warranty on this £25 microwave?"

Me - "no thanks, I'm a microwave engineer"

That shuts them up straight away.
Old 05 September 2009, 10:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would have requested the manager and asked if that was their normal procedure!

Les
Old 05 September 2009, 02:59 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I would have requested the manager and asked if that was their normal procedure!

Les
+1
Old 05 September 2009, 08:54 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I have a standard response to these people...

Salesman: Hello sir, can I help you?
Me: I doubt it.

Nice one - will use that next time!
Old 05 September 2009, 09:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yoza
The last salesman I bought a car off sold the car by saying...

" Woza please, No, No, It no good for wou, wou fcukin kill wourself, and weave me wiff headache, wou like this Bongo...better for wou, better for me." LOL

No I didnt buy a car off Johnathan Ross.
sounds like a w4nker though
Old 05 September 2009, 09:37 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Component's still supposed to be ok though but if he was using it for a like for like demo then that's way out of order. Phone them up when your Mrs is out

Before my WRX I had a Saxo VTR, while looking for this I went to a Citroen dealership and they were slagging off a local car supermarket, the conversation went something like this:
Him
"I wouldn't buy from them, all their cars are imports"
Me
"Where do you get yours from then?"
Him
"France..."

I looked at him and laughed, he walked away
Old 05 September 2009, 09:40 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

agree he was rubbish, but how do you know he was a **** jockey as well ?
Old 05 September 2009, 10:00 PM
Lisawrx

Out of order imo.

While I work in a shop, and know what it's like to have pressure on you to up sales, outright lies are just wrong.

If anything, I try and save our customers money (probably to the anger of management), as being honest may well be enough on it's own to secure repeat custom.
Old 05 September 2009, 10:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
I dont like being sold things, I prefer to make my own decisions.
This is something i don't believe, people love being sold things properly as a proper salesman will make the item more personal and of value to you. You just hate being sold things by idiots.
Old 06 September 2009, 08:22 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Anyhow why don't you look at Richer sounds for tv's instead of them comet **** jocks,been buying from RS for sometime and always found them to be very good.A month ago i bought a pair of Mordaunt short speakers and a Denon Mini system,gave us the 5yr warranty for nothing....
Old 06 September 2009, 02:53 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Phantom_Flan_Flinger
I don't come on here to rant, but after a visit to our local Comet store with the missus, I thought I'd tell you my little tale.

Anyway's, went to Comet to have a look at new TV's and was quite impressed by the Samsung LED TV's they had on show.
We were looking at a 40" when the inevitable happens and one of the salesman arrives to do his spiel. Eventually he comes to the connectors and says how we need this £80 HDMI cable to get the best picture.
To prove his point he shows us two large TV's sitting next to each other and explains that one is using the £80 cable, the other a £15 cable. He puts on a little demo and to my surprise the supposed cheaper cable is worse on some text.
The salesman then wanders off to get one of the leads from the rack and in the mean time I have a quick shifty behind the 2 TV's. The TV that showed the poorer picture didn't even have an HDMI lead in it, it was connected by component.
The missus, knowing what I'm like, tells me just to leave it as we wouldn't be buying from there anyways.
The salesman then comes back with the wonder lead and proceeds to tell me that this HDMI cable is full HD and 100Hz.
I bit my tongue and decided that it was time to leave. I just wonder how many £80 cables they manage to sell to the uninitiated.

I've heard and read all the stories about Comet/Currys and the like, but had never actually experienced it myself.

Dave.
You will get no where going to the shop concerned, go to trading standards!

The component connection was probably the managers idea and if it generated sales the area managers and MD's wont care either!

As for the 80 quid aftercare on a 200 quid tv, the poor salesman gets a right bollocking for letting ANY sale go through without aftercare, these places really push it to the point i have seen sales turned down by the manager to keep the aftercare conversion rate where it should be ( i worked in comet for 3 years while at college and my manager told the customer we didnt have any stock of a 2k tv cos the customer didnt want aftercare, he was told to go to the stockport shop as it was bigger and carried more stock. We had 5 in the back but the sale would have dropped us below the minimum level expected by head office for aftercare, it was a case of aftercare made WAY more money for the company than actual sales, so it was top priority)!

I have seen salesmen almost MAKE an old woman take 8 quid aftercare on a 10 quid toaster, and he was PRAISED by the manager for basically ripping her off!
Old 07 September 2009, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
You will get no where going to the shop concerned, go to trading standards!

The component connection was probably the managers idea and if it generated sales the area managers and MD's wont care either!

As for the 80 quid aftercare on a 200 quid tv, the poor salesman gets a right bollocking for letting ANY sale go through without aftercare, these places really push it to the point i have seen sales turned down by the manager to keep the aftercare conversion rate where it should be ( i worked in comet for 3 years while at college and my manager told the customer we didnt have any stock of a 2k tv cos the customer didnt want aftercare, he was told to go to the stockport shop as it was bigger and carried more stock. We had 5 in the back but the sale would have dropped us below the minimum level expected by head office for aftercare, it was a case of aftercare made WAY more money for the company than actual sales, so it was top priority)!

I have seen salesmen almost MAKE an old woman take 8 quid aftercare on a 10 quid toaster, and he was PRAISED by the manager for basically ripping her off!
I expect you are right and it was the manager's idea. I would want to see him explain to me exactly why it was done and ask him what he is going to say to the Standards Authority when I had reported it.

No one should be allowed to get away with that kind of a rip off!

Les
Old 07 September 2009, 03:02 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Anyhow why don't you look at Richer sounds
I did phone RS, but was told that they have no stock in any store for the model I was after, until the middle of the month.

Dave.