Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Call to change the law on bullying.

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2009, 11:32 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call to change the law on bullying.

BBC NEWS | UK | Call to change anti-bullying law

Whilst I applaud anything that will cut down on bullying, let alone stamp it out, I think they are TOTALLY wasting their time.

Why? Because we live in a society that literally THRIVES on abuse, and even sees it as a form of entertainment. "Strictly Come Dancing" relies on watching couples belittled to their faces and chucked off the "game", as does "The X-Factor" both of which re-start tonight on prime time. We idolise "Mr Nasty" Simon Cowell.

That odious woman off "The weakest Link" has made a career out of being rude and belittling people, and the viewers LOVE it WHY? Contestants even have to sign a waiver that THEY will not hit back at her when she does it, or they can't go on the show

The Hotel Inspector, that horrid American woman who goes round "helping" people do up their houses for selling, and that so-called chef that swears all the time, while apparently helping people get their business in order, are just further examples of this trend.

Whilst we see insults and the belittling of people as entertainment, there is little hope that our children will not do the same for their own "entertainment". And it's a short step to pushing and shoving and all the rest, from belittling and mocking.

Even kids' programmes are at it: years ago, Batman knocked down a baddy and waited to see if he got up again. Nowadays, goodies knock down the baddy, then kick him in the head to make sure

Years ago, Robin said to Batman, on seeing a load of "winos" on a pier, "Good grief, Batman, just LOOK at those people!"
Batman replied, "No Robin, don't judge them harshly without knowing the REASON they are where they are, and live how they live."

Nowadays, goodies knock down the baddy, then shout, "That'll teach you, you scum sucking piece of sh*t!", or other such endearing phrase.

While our "entertainment" is as such, there is no hope that bullying will get less, let alone, be stamped out.
Old 19 September 2009, 12:05 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This is quite a serious topic for a foggy mind to tackle on a Saturday morning

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but how are you going to change it? I would not support a movement to curtail people's right to free speech, or to choose what they watch. There is a reason that the old batman cartoons are not mainstream kids entertainment now, and that is because kids don't want to watch them.

I think the things you have noticed are because our behaviour has changed over the years, I do not think they are the cause. The cause is a much more complicated topic, and simply changing TV programmes will not solve the issue. Even if you banned TV and all video entertainment, I really do not think you will see an improvement in people's behaviour.

I think people do this stuff because they want to, and they get away with it. Its the getting away with it that encourages others, and allows the problem to grow.
Old 19 September 2009, 12:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You can never stop bullying. As said above, bullying comes in all sorts of forms, from Strictly come dancing / Sh!te-Factor etc to school ground bullying, to invading countries to stop weapons of mass destruction.

It is human nature, and TBH Mother nature that the strong will always bully the weak in one form or another.

I'm not proud of this, but I was a school bully. I was very fit athletically, did weights, and did Marshal Arts, so I could handle myself. It started when I got to comprehensive school. I wear Glasses, and made the decision. The first person to call me "4 eyes", "Speccy" etc, got taught never to say that to me again. Reputation gets around, and you do start to live up to your reputation. I never picked on anyone just for fun. But used my reputation to get what I wanted.

I hate gangs of lads picking on one person, and used to get into fights helping out those that were getting picked on by more than one person, even though I had nothing to do with it.

Since leaving school (19 years ago) I've never had a fight of any kind, and walk away from any trouble whether or not I think I'd win.

Most bullies (like myself) grow up and grow out of it. There will always be some that never do. I see them all the time.

You can crack down on it, but you'll never stop bullying.

Last edited by stilover; 19 September 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 19 September 2009, 01:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
BBC NEWS | UK | Call to change anti-bullying law

Whilst I applaud anything that will cut down on bullying, let alone stamp it out, I think they are TOTALLY wasting their time.

Why? Because we live in a society that literally THRIVES on abuse, and even sees it as a form of entertainment. "Strictly Come Dancing" relies on watching couples belittled to their faces and chucked off the "game", as does "The X-Factor" both of which re-start tonight on prime time. We idolise "Mr Nasty" Simon Cowell.

That odious woman off "The weakest Link" has made a career out of being rude and belittling people, and the viewers LOVE it WHY? Contestants even have to sign a waiver that THEY will not hit back at her when she does it, or they can't go on the show

The Hotel Inspector, that horrid American woman who goes round "helping" people do up their houses for selling, and that so-called chef that swears all the time, while apparently helping people get their business in order, are just further examples of this trend.

Whilst we see insults and the belittling of people as entertainment, there is little hope that our children will not do the same for their own "entertainment". And it's a short step to pushing and shoving and all the rest, from belittling and mocking.

Even kids' programmes are at it: years ago, Batman knocked down a baddy and waited to see if he got up again. Nowadays, goodies knock down the baddy, then kick him in the head to make sure

Years ago, Robin said to Batman, on seeing a load of "winos" on a pier, "Good grief, Batman, just LOOK at those people!"
Batman replied, "No Robin, don't judge them harshly without knowing the REASON they are where they are, and live how they live."

Nowadays, goodies knock down the baddy, then shout, "That'll teach you, you scum sucking piece of sh*t!", or other such endearing phrase.

While our "entertainment" is as such, there is no hope that bullying will get less, let alone, be stamped out.

Yup, well said.

Also do not forget the likes of Americas next supermodel and there are many more similar shows where bitchiness and putting down the other contestants and the dreadful judges doing the same are just more examples of this.
Old 19 September 2009, 02:35 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but how are you going to change it? I would not support a movement to curtail people's right to free speech, or to choose what they watch. There is a reason that the old batman cartoons are not mainstream kids entertainment now, and that is because kids don't want to watch them.
Do you think so? Or are the programmers/programme makers reflecting society?

Originally Posted by Luminous
I think the things you have noticed are because our behaviour has changed over the years, I do not think they are the cause.
It's a bit "chicken and egg" isn't it?

Stilover: what you describe doesn't sound like bullying. You describe standing up for yourself, and making others learn to leave you alone. I don't think that's the same as being a bully, who, in my understanding, preys on those weaker than themselves, in order to gain from it somehow, whether by making themselves feel superior, or actual gain. You don't say you did any of that, so have nowt to recriminate yourself for.

Last edited by tanyatriangles; 19 September 2009 at 02:38 PM.