Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are people for real?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2009, 01:23 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are people for real?

I've got my Laguna up for sale, cracking motor, in really good condition for its age, my advert is simple, but gives what I'd hope is the correct information a buyer would want.

Just checked my e-mail and I've got this, bearing in mind this car is only £500

"Hi. Interested in the car and have a few questions:
1. Is the car Hpi clear?
2. Does it have a full service history?
3. What brand are the tyres and how much tread do they have?
4. Any faults with the car like rust, dents, scratches, burning oil etc etc?
5. Can you send me more photos of the car from all angles including interior and engine bay?
6. Where in Notts are you based?"

1. Hpi on a 1996 £500 car, are you having a laugh?
2. Nothing written in the advert about history, if it had Full history it'd be more than £500
3.Brand? It's not a racing car! Tread - 6mm
4.No to all.
5.I can.
6.I'm not going to bother letting you waste my time.

Jesus, is this guy particular or what?? Oh and to top it off, the surname is Birk, says it all really
Old 20 September 2009, 02:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Makes me laugh, when i bought my "super mudburner" after the scooby engine blew up (citreon zx td )

It cost me about 350quid
drove it for 2 months and then tried to sell it

I had some right gonk of a taxi driver, typical taxi driver type, bit of a wideboy wannabe, only with a lot less cash.

Anyway he was waffling on a load of bollocks about the dent on the door and stuff, and he gave me some stupid offer, which i declined
"so if i come back in 2 weeks time when i know you still would not have sold it, i can have it for 150"
"mate i could not give a flying **** about this car, i only bought it while that one over there was having a new engine fitted, i really dont give a toss about not selling it at all, i will park it up here every day, with a sign in the window and it will sell for 300"
"suit yersell, it will never sell at that crazy price"

The gonk did actually come back in a few weeks, and somebody had paid me what i wanted for it
Old 20 September 2009, 02:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin
I've got my Laguna up for sale, cracking motor, in really good condition for its age, my advert is simple, but gives what I'd hope is the correct information a buyer would want.

1. Is the car Hpi clear?
5. Can you send me more photos of the car from all angles including interior and engine bay?

2. Nothing written in the advert about history, if it had Full history it'd be more than £500
4.No to all.
5.I can.

Jesus, is this guy particular or what?? Oh and to top it off, the surname is Birk, says it all really
To be fair James I'd ask all of the above for any car. I certainly wouldn't drive around in a car that could have been stolen
Old 20 September 2009, 02:45 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

"TUNE"? Mmmmm: not 'alf!

Old 20 September 2009, 02:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I had this when selling my laguna

and in fact my other cars too, ive had the same guy turn up ever few weeks making me a stupid offer for the shogun im selling, ive told him everytime he comes here that I would rather watch it rot than sell it him for what he is offering, yet he still comes back every few weeks with the same offers
Old 20 September 2009, 03:31 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
To be fair James I'd ask all of the above for any car. I certainly wouldn't drive around in a car that could have been stolen
I bet you didn't ask any of those questions on that Cinquechonky!!

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2009, 05:02 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate selling cars brings out all the spazzers who will arrange to view it and never turn up or even bother ringing you to inform you.
Worst one though was a bunch of chavs that turned up wanting to test drive my last subaru. There were 5 of them and no room for me in the car but it was okay as they were leaving the untaxed cavalier they had turned up in as collateral

Luckily My next door neighbour is a fairly big bloke but in future I think it's best to have a mate with you when the car you are selling is going to attract this sort of people.
Old 20 September 2009, 07:44 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always best to have a couple of handy mates with you when your selling scoobs and such like cars.When i had my scoob parked on the drive was always getting young lads walking passed looking at it,which is ok until they start to take too much of an interest in it,So you know the kind of people they are likely gonna attract when it comes to selling espeacially classics.My last one i blew the gearbox up while entering the motorway,was gutted so i just fooked it off and bought a sensible car,and got another scoob but keep it locked away in my cousins garage.

Last edited by DYK; 20 September 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 20 September 2009, 08:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I bet you didn't ask any of those questions on that Cinquechonky!!
I did actually. But I was desperate for 1100cc of failure
Old 20 September 2009, 10:48 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Brand of tyres is important to me. Linglong Hedgeseeker or Chungking Skidmaster tell me one thing, they've skimped on the rest of the maintenance.

Tyres are the most important component, if you can't get that right, you'll not have bothered with lots of other stuff. I just bought a cheap motor, saw plenty of cars with no name tyres, they always had no history with them, I went for the one on Pirelli and Michelin and an owner bursting to show me the history complete with invoices.
Old 20 September 2009, 10:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

To be honest I'd be asking the same questions myself if I was buying a £500 car.

Hopefully I'd never be that skint again!
Old 21 September 2009, 01:50 AM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

Ive just had exactly the same thing with a scooter I had, I bought it to get me around while I was looking for my scooby

I put it on Gumtree one evening and the next morning I had 2 emails, one was from a genuine guy who asked the usual things and wanted more pictures which I obliged and he made me an offer that was £25 less than what I wanted and wanted me to deliver the bike and said he definatley wanted it even without looking at it....result, bike sold 2 days after advertising it with no problem.

The second guy was a complete numpty, he asked stupid questions and then tried to offer me half what the bike was up for as he wanted a gilera and not a peugeot...as if I give a ****, obviously I refused but this guy continued to text me 5 or 6 times with the ridiculous offer even after I had sold the bike.
Old 21 September 2009, 02:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will cost 3 quid for a check, the buyer can splash that out, not like its going to rob them but for 500 quid its a great 2nd car whilst the scoob becomes a weekend toy and they can munch miles quite happily

Tony
Old 21 September 2009, 02:34 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Like I'd let my little brother drive a stolen car!

I did suggest to scoobyvigin that he should take the stupid offer he received the other day, then tell me the address of the buyer, then I'd go round before it's taxed/insured and rust-proof it or cube-it. That way they've paid out money and not got a car to show for it
Old 21 September 2009, 07:14 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Like I'd let my little brother drive a stolen car!

I did suggest to scoobyvigin that he should take the stupid offer he received the other day, then tell me the address of the buyer, then I'd go round before it's taxed/insured and rust-proof it or cube-it. That way they've paid out money and not got a car to show for it

I remember the issues with the bloody clutch - what an effort James made getting that thing back to Notts

I did send him some ££ back though as I felt guilty.
Old 21 September 2009, 12:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We were selling a Fiesta, utter minter, Mk2, had been someones pride and joy, he had it resprayed as the paint had dulled so it looked like new, wheels had been painted in the proper colour, it just like it had rolled out of the factory, it was four hundred quid, perhaps a hundred dearer than the average rattly sh1tters you see, guy comes round and spends an hour faffinf about, driving it and then spots some overspray on a rubber seal and knocks it back because it had "had paint", it was 12 years old and the ad clearly stated "full respray", next buyer arrived, looked at it and said, yep, that will do !

I agree, that if you seel anything sporty the cretins crawl fromt he woodwork, had some tit buying a R5 1.7 GTX off us, they had done the cheapest/quickest/lowest insurance comparison and it came out well, the guy buying it didnt drive, his mate did and drove like a **** "Hmm more understeer than I expected", er mate its a test drive, he did sixty down our road past kids playing, he seemed to be one of those blokes living in car magazine speak, prolonged exposure to "Evo" magazine bulls***, anyway, gets back, terrified, they turned up in a very nice MR2, I expressed and interest and he hadned me the keys in a big gesture, meaning you go and take a look, even sit in it but I took it as seeign as I have ragged your car, you can rag mine, so I did, he was apparently mortified according to my wife as I went for ten minutes MR2 torture, it was totally spotless, the work of an **** retentive (like that bloke off the Astra forum who did the six month polish), he was livid they didnt buy the Renault... wonder why
Old 21 September 2009, 12:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Is the car Hpi clear?

4.No to all.
5.I can.

Its being a bit picky for £500 but I would be tempted to ask at least some of those questions.

If you gave answers like that if it were me looking for a £500 car, you'd still have the car and I'd still have my £500.
Old 21 September 2009, 03:39 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I hate selling cars brings out all the spazzers who will arrange to view it and never turn up or even bother ringing you to inform you.
Worst one though was a bunch of chavs that turned up wanting to test drive my last subaru. There were 5 of them and no room for me in the car but it was okay as they were leaving the untaxed cavalier they had turned up in as collateral

Luckily My next door neighbour is a fairly big bloke but in future I think it's best to have a mate with you when the car you are selling is going to attract this sort of people.
So what happened? Did you let any of them drive it or just tell em to **** off?

I remember when i bought my subaru, i was only 18. I turned up with a couple of mates (both a bit wise when it comes to buying cars) but without blowing my own trumpet, we're not chavvy, but quite well dressed and a bit flashy all going to univerity etcetc. but even then he only took me out and asked if my mates could wait which i thought was fair enough.
Old 21 September 2009, 03:43 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I'd ask for an HPI check, only to check for a total loss repair. Wouldn't put me off necessarily at that price but i'd want it checked for road worthiness.
Old 21 September 2009, 04:08 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I'd ask for an HPI check, only to check for a total loss repair. Wouldn't put me off necessarily at that price but i'd want it checked for road worthiness.
Likewise.

Would also ask about the rust. I would expect it but before i dragged myself over to see the car (lets be fair a picture rarely tells the full story at this level) then I'd want to know if it was falling apart.

Been told too many times "it's mint mate" to open a door and find a hole in the sill etc and then told "what did you expect?"

Well... i expected a used car that had been given some hammer but also hadn't been on the slim fast rust diet. I expect the thing to be solid otherwise its spares or repair i reckon.

Servicing also. I think i would say "is it due a service" rather than expecting FSH but i'd like to know that you'd changed the oil and kept a reciept to prove it. If not I'd be using that as a bargaining point.

5t.
Old 21 September 2009, 04:32 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

I was really paranoid when I sold my RB5. I wouldn't even let buyers come to the house the first time I met them. If I judged they were serious I met them at a local petrol station instead. I also took my boyfriend with me, firstly because he knew a lot more about the car than I did, and secondly because I wasn't about to go and meet strangers, with my Scoob, by myself. I was particularly paranoid about telling where I lived, and kept the car because it wasn't exactly a secret on here that it was my car, and I lived by myself at the time.

I felt a bit bad because a it was Winter, so evenings were dark and a petrol station doesn't make for the easiest place to see the car, even if it is a big, well-lit one.

I didn't let people drive it that time either, although my bf did take them out for a bit of a 'committed drive' in it. I let him drive because although I was happy to push the car by myself, I was usually more cautious with other people in the car, (if I'm going to kill myself being a nutter, I'd rather not take anyone else out with me).

Although it took a while to find a buyer who was seriously interested, he was the only one, IIRC, who actually came to see the car. After the evening petrol station viewing he arranged to come back and look at it during daylight, and (although I was still nervous) his mate and my bf and I went with him as he took it out down a decent stretch of local dual carriageway. He actually drove it very considerately - moreso than I would have expected, even.

He ended up buying it and I hope owning one himself helped explain my paranoia!

As an addition to the story...

As we sat to one side of the forecourt, with me in the drivers seat, going through some of the paperwork and stuff with the potential buyer, a lone and quite young, police officer came into the petrol station. The Scoob was sitting at an angle with the rear end towards the building itself, so he wouldn't have been able to see me, sitting in the driver's seat. He just saw 3 biggish blokes, nosing around a performance car.

He came across, looking decidedly tense, to find out what was going on. I think he'd already called in for a check on the car and knew that the registered owner was local and female, because I stepped out of the car and walked round to the back, (he was approaching the rear of the car), as he came up to us, and the look of relief that flooded his face when he saw me was quite clear. I'm pretty sure he initially thought something of a criminal nature was going on, and he was about to approach at least 3 blokes, by himself, to find out what. He was very relieved when I was able to confirm the registration details of the car, show the documents and explain what was happening.

Last edited by TurboKitty; 21 September 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 21 September 2009, 04:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
So what happened? Did you let any of them drive it or just tell em to **** off?

I remember when i bought my subaru, i was only 18. I turned up with a couple of mates (both a bit wise when it comes to buying cars) but without blowing my own trumpet, we're not chavvy, but quite well dressed and a bit flashy all going to univerity etcetc. but even then he only took me out and asked if my mates could wait which i thought was fair enough.

I offered to take him out for a drive by himself but he started getting all gobby and at the end of the day I doubt he even had a licence let alone the relevant insurance. And it would have been me picking up the cost if he had wrote it off.

Fortunately they were all mouth and no trousers
Old 21 September 2009, 04:57 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Always see the driving license before you allow a test drive. I take a photocopy.
Old 21 September 2009, 05:08 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Its being a bit picky for £500 but I would be tempted to ask at least some of those questions.

If you gave answers like that if it were me looking for a £500 car, you'd still have the car and I'd still have my £500.

I didn't reply like that, I gave him genuine answers and he mailed me back quite quickly. Think he's now looking at insurance.

I will wait and see what happens.
Old 21 September 2009, 06:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Always see the driving license before you allow a test drive. I take a photocopy.
Thats doesnt help with insurance though, I tend to just wing it and drive for them and if they insist a quick go, you can tell pretty much everything from the passenger seat anyway.
Old 21 September 2009, 07:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont think there was anything wrong in the questions asked,the seller/op comes across as a burk no ?
Old 21 September 2009, 08:19 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Thats doesnt help with insurance though, I tend to just wing it and drive for them and if they insist a quick go, you can tell pretty much everything from the passenger seat anyway.
I have trade insurance so provided I have a copy of the license I am insured for people to test drive.
Old 21 September 2009, 08:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
I have trade insurance so provided I have a copy of the license I am insured for people to test drive.
Full or 3rd party?
Old 21 September 2009, 08:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Was he perhaps a canvasser anyway ? ( to the op )

Quick Reply: Are people for real?