Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Global knives

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2009, 07:25 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global knives

Hi, i'm in the market for a decent set of kitchen knives, and have heard the global kit is very good. I only have cheap ones at the mo, and as me and Sue do a lot of cooking, thought it would be nice to invest in a good set.
Are they worth the money, and is it easy to maintain their sharpness?
Have any of you got a set? What are your thoughts?
I must admit i know nothing about good kitchen knives, so if anyone has any other brand ideas for similar/less money(around £160), that would be great!

Thanks, Mit
Old 21 September 2009, 07:34 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Use the search
Old 21 September 2009, 07:37 PM
yoza
BANNED

I know nowt about knives, but apparently ceramic is the way to go, expensive though.
Old 21 September 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

For that kind of money I would be buying a set of Henckels or similar mate. Good knives are a cooks best friend, they make preparation so much easier and more enjoyable.

I use a set myself. Exceptional knives. Click me to visit their site:
Old 21 September 2009, 07:47 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

We bought a set at the good food show a couple of years ago, collection now increased to eight knives. As for what we think, they look sylish, perform well and also feel good in the hand. We also bought a sharpener at the same time as the set and again this works very well and is easy to use, course medium and fine sharpening wheels, but they seem to stay sharp for quite a while anyway.
Old 21 September 2009, 08:24 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

if you like 'designer' knives, have you considered the porsche chroma type 301 knives, they have some bizarre pricing on amazon know and again, best deals are a paring knife for 9.99, and a bread knife for 15.00, and anyone who knows about these knives will know that these prices are incredible.
Old 21 September 2009, 08:53 PM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

I've used Global for many years and can't fault them. Best advice i can give (if you buy some) is don't use the cheaper wheeled type sharpeners and invest in some decent whetstones with guides. These are uber pricey but yield superb results and have the added benefit of being very therapeutic to use.
Global are beautifully made/balanced and are a joy to use, Go get some

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2009, 08:59 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Global hmm, as said have a look through the knife threads, global are a tarts knife, if you see them in a chefs kitchen then they're not much of a chef.

Worked in boning halls for ooh nearly 20 years now, you will see f.dick, geiser/messer or victorinox, i tried using a sabatier and that lasted all of one day, such expensive knives are very overpriced and overated.
Old 21 September 2009, 09:59 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Michel Roux uses them, not much of a chef

Global knives - Knife sets, blocks and cases

Originally Posted by hux309
Global hmm, as said have a look through the knife threads, global are a tarts knife, if you see them in a chefs kitchen then they're not much of a chef.

Worked in boning halls for ooh nearly 20 years now, you will see f.dick, geiser/messer or victorinox, i tried using a sabatier and that lasted all of one day, such expensive knives are very overpriced and overated.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:04 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Well if he does then he's a fool, either that or global keep him nicely stocked up.

A global would snap under any decent use, i've seen it happen, and where's the finger guard oh that's right it doesn't have it, one slip and kiss your tendons goodbye.

Oh what do you know, seems im right.

http://www.globalknives.uk.com/news_...larship-winner

Real knives.

http://www.fdick.com/

Last edited by hux309; 21 September 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:11 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Snap? Your meant to cut with them not chuck them.
Can't recall ever seeing knives in the any home with finger guards on.

Well if he does then he's a fool, either that or global keep him nicely stocked up.

A global would snap under any decent use, i've seen it happen, and where's the finger guard oh that's right it doesn't have it, one slip and kiss your tendons goodbye.

Oh what do you know, seems im right.

Roux Scholarship 2009 Winner - Global Knives
Old 21 September 2009, 10:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Look do you actually work with knives every day, and i don't mean at home neither a global or any other tarty blade wouldn't last five minutes in a decent environment, don't try to justify your spending hundreds only to be told by someone in the trade who knows better.

Anyway off to bed, some of us have to get up early to use oh yeah that's right a knife.

Nighty.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:24 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

No i don't but i do use them at home and have done for the last two years without any problems at all. I think your problem is you are confusing what you require in the work enviroment to what everyday people want in the kitchen, ie something functional and sylish not a big blade with a great big blue handle on it.

Thanks anyway for your advice but i'll choose to ignore it

p.s. I dont have to justify anything to you regarding my spending. If i want to spend i'll spend

Look do you actually work with knives every day, and i don't mean at home neither a global or any other tarty blade wouldn't last five minutes in a decent environment, don't try to justify your spending hundreds only to be told by someone in the trade who knows better.

Anyway off to bed, some of us have to get up early to use oh yeah that's right a knife.

Nighty.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:30 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I did a search for global knives, it came back with no results, i didn't do a general knive search, sorry!
I must admit, i've never had a knive 'snap', but i'm not doing anything other than general cooking stuf.
I looked at the F.Dick range, and they're a little out my league, at £50 a knife!
The reason i asked about the global stuff, is Costco have a set cheap.
Old 21 September 2009, 10:38 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Costco are mentioned in this thread....

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...nife-sets.html

Originally Posted by mit
Thanks for the replies. I did a search for global knives, it came back with no results, i didn't do a general knive search, sorry!
I must admit, i've never had a knive 'snap', but i'm not doing anything other than general cooking stuf.
I looked at the F.Dick range, and they're a little out my league, at £50 a knife!
The reason i asked about the global stuff, is Costco have a set cheap.
Old 21 September 2009, 11:16 PM
Suffkunchris
Scooby Newbie

Look for Wusthof for the easy brand option lots of the celeb chef's who cook use them. Solicut First Class if you can find them (Solicut.de) Gilberts food equipment in the UK. Solicut beat all the big names in a German version of Which? Stiftung Warentest. From Solingen which is to steel in Germany what Sheffield once was to England. I've spent 8 years buying kitchen goods so I've seen most of the brands, these are the one's I've put my own money on. You get what you pay for. In any case you want drop forged not pressed like the cheap ones, Kitchen Devils etc. preferably with a double bolster and riveted handle - don't ever dishwash them, only ***** (not cooks) do that! You only really need 3 blades, a short paring 10cm a carving or utility 18/21cm and a chef's 23/26cm anything else you can add later. My best advice is hold them across your index finger in the open palm of the hand you use and you should be able to balance a chef's knife at the bolster and blade junction comfortably. Remember these are all fkin sharp so need respect!

Last edited by Suffkunchris; 21 September 2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 22 September 2009, 05:03 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

From what i gather he's after a fairly cheap set so id imagine something like victorinox should be sufficient.
Old 22 September 2009, 09:23 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I got the Costco Global set about a couple of years ago, six knives and a stand / holder, about half the price anywhere else sells them. Been really impressed with them myself, sharp as razors, feel strong / no flex (except the flexible one ), feel good in use, easy to sharpen.

On the subject of which got one of the those Minosharp(?) sharpeners as mentioned before with the course, medium and fine wheels and have always been able to bring the knives back to razor sharpness with it. Recommended by Global. Just remember to put water in it. I'm sure whetstones are even better but you need to know what you're doing with one of them, with the wheel thing just drag the knife through each slot twenty times and you're done
Old 22 September 2009, 11:10 AM
JPL
Scooby Regular

I have 4 Globals and like them very much, I'm an occassional cook and they do the job, sharp, well balanced and they look good.

Only issue is you're not supposed to put them in the dishwasher, I try to hand wash them most times but they've been in the machine a few times too.