Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Used car MOT

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2009, 10:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used car MOT

I bought a used car from a main dealers this weekend (focus ST from Honda dealer) which is under their Honda approved scheme so it has the 12 month unlimited warranty.
I mentioned on the test drive the week before the rear tyres were low on tread but they said as they're legal (just) they wouldn't change them.
I asked for 12 months MOT which they agreed to and did - but - when i picked up the car all i got was the MOT certificate and no advisory?
When i got home and checked the levels i had to add 2 pints to the screen wash (they were supposed to have done the lights/ levels/ etc) and looking at the brake fluid it's at MIN.
I checked on the VOSA website where i found the tester (at the same garage) issued an advisory for worn front pads (hence low fluid) and worn tyres

Shouldn't they have changed the pads if they're worn enough to issue an advisory?
Shouldn't i have been given the advisory so i'd at least know of the problems?

I've emailed the salesguy so wait for a reply to see if they'll contribute towards the repairs but can i report them to VOSA if they don't - in regard to the advisory?
Old 21 September 2009, 10:39 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an advisory is just that ..advice, its not the law
sorry mate i dont think you will get any joy
Old 22 September 2009, 09:38 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

As above I think I saw this on another webiste recently?
Anyway clearly the car was of a standard to pass the MOT which it has, it's a bit naughty not to give you the advisory notice, you were aware of the tyres before you bought it so I think you have no argument there. I think they should have probably let you know about the pads however, but legally they have done nothing wrong
Old 22 September 2009, 09:41 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

TBH it is up to you when viewing the car to pick up any faults and negociate accordingly. The tyre should be an easy one to spot which you did, i hope you negociated hard for the price of replacements?!? so you should nt feel hard done by

The advisories are just that, not failures just a waring that things will be wearing out/ be below MOT standard in the near future.

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 September 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 22 September 2009, 09:42 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Did you get a good deal on the car, so good that you couldn't have walked away knowing the tyres were just about shot?

If you saved enough to buy a new pair of tyres then as much as it pains you, enjoy the car and don't darken the stealers door again!

Steve
Old 22 September 2009, 10:24 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I would kick up a bit of a fuss abotu not being passed the advisory note and see where it gets you.

As stated, tyres are obvious and you picked it up, pads aren't and the sad thing is many people don't think about getting things like that done until it is MOT time. If they've issued an advisory then there won't be 12 months of life in them (betwen the MOT or the mileage to the next service) and that is potentially dangerous. Have a shout and a moan and see if they'll stump up for some pads.

5t.
Old 22 September 2009, 10:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't expect you will have any luck. It passed the test, however you should have been given the advisories and that is all you can really complain about. They will say it was an office error of course.

Les

Trending Topics

Old 22 September 2009, 12:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
I bought a used car from a main dealers this weekend (focus ST from Honda dealer) which is under their Honda approved scheme so it has the 12 month unlimited warranty.
I mentioned on the test drive the week before the rear tyres were low on tread but they said as they're legal (just) they wouldn't change them.
I asked for 12 months MOT which they agreed to and did - but - when i picked up the car all i got was the MOT certificate and no advisory?
Looks like you didnt read the MOT cert properly...

And the dealer is remiss in not giving you the advisory

The MOT cert will state whether an advisory is issued, if it is, then you should have it.

if it says no, then no advisory was issued

however its a moot point. there only advisorys

Mart
Old 22 September 2009, 01:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Remember an MOT only states that the car is roadworthy on that day of it being tested. It is no guarantee of its condition or it being roadworthy for the next 12months.

Potentially the car could have a defect or problem occur that could make it fail an MOT the very next day. That doesn't show any bearing on the original MOT, unless it could be proven that it should have failed. Barely legal tyres are just that; Legal but barely. Next day they could be illegal. Worn pads are not a failure point, so long as they produce enough braking effort.

Now, moving on to the vehicle warranty: its 12months. Yes, but read the small print. It won't cover wear and tear items. Guess what they are: Clutch, Brake pads/disks/drums/shoes, Tyres, suspension and even wheel bearings (in some cases).

In otherwords, they've sold you a car that conforms to "their" standards and the law's standards. Even though it falls short of your expectations.

Depending on how long it has been since you picked up the car, you could reject the car, owing to the wear and tear condition not being expected of a car of that price and alledged condition. But its going to be a long haul should they decide not to offer any "good will" gesture to rectify the situation. Argueing things like this after the sale is going to be very dependant on the dealer's attitude, as you've agreed to buying the car on its presented condition on collection, so as long as it was described as such, then they are covered (legally, at least).

Bottom line is, the issues should have been noted and argued before purchase of the vehicle. As that makes for valuable tools to negoicate a better price (or get the items fixed at their cost).

All IMO by the way
Old 22 September 2009, 06:39 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies
I was aware of the tyres and as i can source replacement cheap i wasn't letting that be a deciding factor when buying the car (i didn't tell them though)
It's the worn pads which i'm annoyed with even as mentioned above they apparently don't have to tell me they're worn i would expect a main francaise dealer to sort something like this out as if i'd not bothered to check and drove the car as expected (hot hatch - drive like a loony) things could have been nasty (and no i don't drive like this).
When safety is at stake for the sake of £70ish why do dealers take the risk?

well no reply from the garage regarding the email i sent yesterday (surprise, surprise) so i've bought some new pads (£56 inc postage for Ford ones) and will get them fitted next week along with 2 new tyres, so for £200 all in i'll know everything is ok