Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Renault warranty claim.....are they liable.........

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2009, 05:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Renault warranty claim.....are they liable.........

My lad's Clio has had to have a new gearbox. It's being done under warranty, it went in last week, monday, they didn't diagnose it until Wednesday that week, despite it being a known fault, and the new gearbox doesn't even arrive from France until THIS Friday.
Meanwhile he's had to go back to Holland, minus the car, to work.

He will need to come home, at his own expense, £200+, in two week's time, to fetch it.

Does anyone think we would get anywhere putting in a claim to Renault for any part of this extra he's had to pay, or would it be a lost cause?
Old 21 October 2009, 08:33 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had a few problems with the 500, Fiat dealer gave me a courtesy car, was this not an option?
Old 21 October 2009, 08:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, but they declined to allow it to go to Holland, and that's not the point: it's that he will be £200+ out of pocket to fetch the car once it's repaired, because a) they did not diagnose it quick enough despite it being a known fault, and b) the part had to come from France and took 9 days to do so......he had to be back in Holland a week before the part even arrived, which he DID make clear to them on leaving the car with them.
Old 21 October 2009, 09:40 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

From investigations I done today they are liable for resonable expenses if it is a direct result of a failure that is not your fault so in my eyes you have a case to claim the expense back from the manufacturer. Give trading standards a quick call for the offical term which escapes me right now always helps these issues when you brandish legal jargon!
Old 21 October 2009, 10:15 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i don't think you will have a lot of luck, even if they did diagnose it on the monday it would have only brought the delivery time forward to yesterday then they would have to fit it and test it so unless he went back tomorrow he still wouldn't have been here anyway.
dealers don't keep warranty bits in stock and over a certain price you have to get authorisation from the manufacturer which can take a couple of weeks if it's a big warranty claim then the part could go on back order, and if it is a common failure there could well be 50 people in front of you waiting for the same part which renault would see to first.
at the end of the day it's not their fault that your lad had to go back to work
Old 22 October 2009, 08:06 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Forget the warranty for a minute. Get them under the Sale of Goods Act. the gearbox was clearly not of merchantable quality and so get the CAB and trading standards on the case.

In my experience, Renault cars are great to drive, a little shonky in places, but if the dealers tried, even just a little bit, it would make the whole ownership experience tolerable.

Steve