Anyone here work with Asbestos

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2009, 12:34 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here work with Asbestos

Morning All

I have been made an interesting business offer about starting up a business removing Asbestos in its non licenced form (not the lagging and horrible ****). It will just be roofing/flooring tiles, storage heaters etc and encapsulation works.

Potentially it has some very good money prospects and although for the first few months i would probably be removing some myself then hiring contractors to do it from there on i am concerened about the health risks both to myself and those i may employ.

Interested to hear from anyone involved with this sort of business as although i may not be directly doing it i would like to know what sort of business i am getting into.

I do have loads of information from various sources including my friend who wants to start it up. Just interested in hearing directly from anyone with first hand experience other than my friend.

Cheers Dave
Old 22 October 2009, 02:37 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

My father is a health and safety consultant, who is also a HSE Technical Assessor. He runs his own business and could provide all of the information you need. I just had a quick chat with him, and he is worried that you appear to not have much experience in the industry. There are quite a few regulations that you would have to comply with, and some stiff penalties if you don't.

If you are interested in doing things properly, then I could PM you his business number for you to have a chat with.
Old 22 October 2009, 02:56 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My step brother is in the waste disposal business and gets a fair bit of revenue from removing the old corrugated asbestos roofs . I know he had to undertake a training course a few years back in how to safely remove the panels and on how to use the breathing apparatus.
Old 22 October 2009, 04:11 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

luminous that would be great if you could pm me his number. i have a lot of experience in the construction industry and have done a number of asbestos awareness courses in the past. however obviously not enough to do the stuff myself without undertaking the proper training which i know i would need to do.

it is tempting to take him up on the offer but the health issue is something that it is at the back of my mind at the moment although the revenue side is very tempting.

with all the breathing apparatus and safety gear i guess you still get some exposure if your doing the real nasty stuff but i will only be involved in cement boards and that sort of thing.

guess i need a bit more information.
Old 22 October 2009, 05:58 PM
The_Dark_Avenger
Scooby Regular

just be careful mate, my grandad died of asbestos caused lung cancer, it was horrible to see him go thru it, just make sure you use some good breathing eqiupment.
Old 22 October 2009, 06:10 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

YHPM

Hope it works out