Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you complain?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2009, 09:53 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you complain?

Last week set up a new bank account with the Northern Bank with the purpose of using it as a joint account with the missus for paying bills etc. So I set it up grand stuff, very happy with the service and professionalism of the bank and really happy with the package they gave me. At this stage the joint account hasn't been mentioned so the bank had no idea that I was wanting to turn it into a joint account.

On Wednesday this week my girlfriend was able to ring up discuss my details and set up a meeting with the bank in order to get her name put on the account. I thought this was a bit odd due to the data protection act etc but let it slip. On Thursday, we both went in, my girlfriend told them who she was and within 2 minutes had everything signed for the both of us to turn my account into a joint one. At no stage did they ask who I was, just assumed and never once asked to see ID from either of us. What sort of security is that?

Now i'm slightly sceptical of my choice of bank.
Old 23 October 2009, 10:06 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds a bit sus, I would have liked to see some ID checks involved. I had a dodgy experience like this with Natwest, I went to First direct and its been awesome ever since.
Old 24 October 2009, 11:25 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Last week set up a new bank account with the Northern Bank with the purpose of using it as a joint account with the missus for paying bills etc. So I set it up grand stuff, very happy with the service and professionalism of the bank and really happy with the package they gave me. At this stage the joint account hasn't been mentioned so the bank had no idea that I was wanting to turn it into a joint account.

On Wednesday this week my girlfriend was able to ring up discuss my details and set up a meeting with the bank in order to get her name put on the account. I thought this was a bit odd due to the data protection act etc but let it slip. On Thursday, we both went in, my girlfriend told them who she was and within 2 minutes had everything signed for the both of us to turn my account into a joint one. At no stage did they ask who I was, just assumed and never once asked to see ID from either of us. What sort of security is that?

Which branch was this?

As your brother, I'm sticking my name down on the account too.
Old 24 October 2009, 01:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I recently opened some accounts with HSBC and required signifcant id checks.

Subsequent meetings did not require id-checks, however it is a small branch and they knew who we were when we arrived.
Old 24 October 2009, 01:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I recently opened some accounts with HSBC and required signifcant id checks.

Subsequent meetings did not require id-checks, however it is a small branch and they knew who we were when we arrived.
<<<< Branch staff >>>>>

Oh god, not again. It's him

Old 26 October 2009, 01:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k

I wonder if the staff get commission for setting up new accounts.

Les ?
Old 26 October 2009, 01:24 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I'd complain like hell James

I assume this was with the Carrickfergus branch?

I'm with the headoffice branch in Belfast
I can't fault them to be honest - Although recently they've been trying to flog me life insurance and were generally becoming annoying until I said to get lost (in a nice way)

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2009, 01:32 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

It was the Whitehead branch Shaun. I was quite shocked as when i opened up the account, it was like an interrogation and the amount of proof of identification etc they needed off me was nuts but it all felt very secure which i liked. So really my second experience couldn't have been further removed from my first!
Old 26 October 2009, 01:35 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I'd go in and speak to someone to enquire as to why your account seems to have been set up as a joint account. You never opened a joint account, why would I want a joint account I'm single? Play merry hell with them then let them know that you were in fact present but never were you invited to prove your ID and the whole business was conducted without your input. Request a full written apology. Suggest that their security measures go through some changes. Remind them that you write a column in your local paper Take your laptop in with you with a prewritten email to the CEO of the bank , show them the email and click send. Show them you mean business.
Old 26 October 2009, 02:12 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I used to have bank account with the Northern but closed it after I withdraw £22 million a few years ago... no I don't really in case this line is being bugged

windyboy