Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Candy Brothers - Property Tycoons

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2009, 11:23 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Candy Brothers - Property Tycoons

I just thought I would post a thread on here about what is for me a very inspiring story, and an almost unbelievable one at that. If you've seen something familiar in the title then you might know a bit already, but below is an article from 'This is Money', with an interview given by Nick Candy.

A property investment fairytale: from a £6,000 loan to a £9bn empire - Candy brothers interview | This is Money

The story goes that these two brothers, aged just 23 and 21, borrowed £6000 from their grandmother in 1995 to buy a £122,000 appartment. They then renovated it in their spare time while living in it, and 18 months later sold it for £172,000. Following that success they bought and renovated further appartments.

Last year they were reported as having an international property portfolio worth in the region of £9bn, selling luxury apartments to the super-rich. This story just came back to my attention today after reading in a newspaper's financial section that despite the credit crunch, they have doubled their personal fortune in the last year...the polar opposite of other property tycoons who have seen their portfolios take a huge hit as a result of falling property prices.

Makes an interesting read.
Old 25 October 2009, 01:30 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've met Nick Candy a few times, I first met him about fifteen years ago when he was starting out and driving a new Boxter and I thought he was some kind of jumped up little spiv, turns out he was actually a very down to earth chap turning over a few properties, much like my family business.

I've since bumped into him a few more times and each time he was drivng something better, 360 Spider, 911, Range Rover etc.

Last year he came to a wedding of some friends and turned up in a chauffer driven Maybach with a CC1 number plate, but still very much feet on the ground and good to have a chat and a few beers with.

Good luck to them I reckon.
Old 25 October 2009, 01:36 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

What a small world it is! Wasn't expecting to find someone who has rubbed shoulders with them. Very interesting.
Old 25 October 2009, 01:47 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

They seem to have done it the hard way, I am sure they might have had the odd leg up here and there but for the most part it appears they have worked for it. Bit of luck bit of judgment.
All the time they live here at least they pay tax which is more than can be said for a lot of the super rich.
Old 25 October 2009, 01:56 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
What a small world it is! Wasn't expecting to find someone who has rubbed shoulders with them. Very interesting.
I only ever met Nick, not Christian and he knows my brother better than me, but if you stood next to him you wouldn't think he was anything more than an estate agent, very unassuming.

My dads little property empire was already into the 100's when we first met Nick, I certainly didn't think that within 15 years Candy and Candy would grow at the rate that it has and make our business look like Rigsby in comparison.
Old 25 October 2009, 02:19 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
They seem to have done it the hard way, I am sure they might have had the odd leg up here and there but for the most part it appears they have worked for it. Bit of luck bit of judgment.
All the time they live here at least they pay tax which is more than can be said for a lot of the super rich.
I think they now reside in Monaco.

Originally Posted by G00ner
I only ever met Nick, not Christian and he knows my brother better than me, but if you stood next to him you wouldn't think he was anything more than an estate agent, very unassuming.

My dads little property empire was already into the 100's when we first met Nick, I certainly didn't think that within 15 years Candy and Candy would grow at the rate that it has and make our business look like Rigsby in comparison.
That could be one reason they mix with people so well and have become so successful. I don't think anyone likes to deal with someone who's egotistical.

But yeah, it is almost beyond belief how quickly they have amassed their fortune. Thirty something is not old.