Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Converting Northern Ireland Sterling into English Sterling

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2009, 11:50 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting Northern Ireland Sterling into English Sterling

Someone from Northern Ireland is coming to pick up my car. I've just read the currency is sterling, are the notes different at all to the English notes?
Old 27 October 2009, 12:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesnt make you look too clever Dave.
Old 27 October 2009, 12:17 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Being from N.Ireland.

The currency as you quite rightly state is Sterling.
We however have our own notes, as do England & Scotland (don't know about Wales)

They are prefectly valid - however most people in England being totally naive don't/won't want to accept them.

So to be on the safe side, tell the guy to go to his bank and request English notes.

Shaun
Old 27 October 2009, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sometimes it is difficult to get Scottish notes accepted as well so the advice to get him to bring English notes is sensible.

Les
Old 27 October 2009, 01:02 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

we use these...

Old 27 October 2009, 01:21 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

I remember visiting my sister in a wee village on the south coast of england. went to budgens with my nephews to pick up some stuff for tea. went to the check out and handed the girl a nothern bank £20 note. she said she couldn't accept it and called the manager. meanwhile a queue is forming behind me and i am getting looks. manger says that he can't accept the note but that the Lloyds bank is a few doors down and i can get the note changed there. i tell him that it is a sterling note but he refused to budge. so i go down to the bank and ask for the note to be changed. the bank teller just says "budgens?" i nod. i go back to budgens and get my change which included a £10 note. I tell the girl i cannot accept the £10 as it is bank of england. she looks at me if if to say "what can i do about it". i tell her that there is a bank a few doors down that will change the note. Wrote a letter of complaint to budgens head office about the training gap with their staff. they were very apologetic and included a £10 gift token. result. the look on her face when i told her about the bank was priceless.
Old 27 October 2009, 01:25 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
Someone from Northern Ireland is coming to pick up my car. I've just read the currency is sterling, are the notes different at all to the English notes?
we do have cash machines that will issue Bank of England notes. we tend to visit these machines before we visit that foreign country on the mainland
Old 27 October 2009, 01:28 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

On the flip side, i've spent Scottish notes in England and it's almost as if the cashiers have had a smug look about them because they know it's legal tender. Makes me laugh.
Old 27 October 2009, 02:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
I remember visiting my sister in a wee village on the south coast of england. went to budgens with my nephews to pick up some stuff for tea. went to the check out and handed the girl a nothern bank £20 note. she said she couldn't accept it and called the manager. meanwhile a queue is forming behind me and i am getting looks. manger says that he can't accept the note but that the Lloyds bank is a few doors down and i can get the note changed there. i tell him that it is a sterling note but he refused to budge. so i go down to the bank and ask for the note to be changed. the bank teller just says "budgens?" i nod. i go back to budgens and get my change which included a £10 note. I tell the girl i cannot accept the £10 as it is bank of england. she looks at me if if to say "what can i do about it". i tell her that there is a bank a few doors down that will change the note. Wrote a letter of complaint to budgens head office about the training gap with their staff. they were very apologetic and included a £10 gift token. result. the look on her face when i told her about the bank was priceless.
Absolutely brilliant

I usually end up kicking up a fuss when I'm in London and force them to take the Northern Ireland Notes.
Last time I done that was in Newbury - infact this place to be precise
The Vineyard at Stockcross, Newbury, Berkshire | 5 star luxury country house hotel | 2 Michelin star restaurant | Luxury breaks | Spa breaks

NEVER EVER stay there by the way

1. Its pretty expensive (I was on business)
2. Thats the first time ever that I've went to bed hungry after a meal (A very ******* expensive meal too)
3. They don't have any beer - I was given the impression that I was going to be removed from the premises and given 100 lashes just for asking for a beer

Last edited by urban; 27 October 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:02 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
(A very ******* meal too)

Cucumbers and whipped cream was it?
Old 27 October 2009, 03:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just for the record

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd insist on paymnt in Naira............

dl
Old 27 October 2009, 03:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had a problem getting Tescos to take NI or Scottish notes

In fact, the other day they gave me 1 euro change instead of a £1 coin
Old 27 October 2009, 03:42 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Cucumbers and whipped cream was it?
Now edited to include the word "expensive"
Old 27 October 2009, 06:20 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Just for the record

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

Ehhhh?????????

We have no problem excepting your(english) notes up here. Im sure if you were in scotland and you were refused to make payment with an english note and were given that load of pish above you'd be pissed off.

If it says sterling on it it SHOULD be accepted. I had many a funny look when handing over scottish notes in England and I would always just make a fuss. If they don't want to take it then f*ck um, i'll take me business else where.
Old 27 October 2009, 07:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what don't you understand?

legal tender -- has a very narrow, purely legal definition, and has nothing to do with whether a shop/garage etc etc HAS to accept it for payment.

and only Bank of England issued notes meet this criteria -- everything else is convention

hence why acceptence is so erratic

in practice all sterling notes can be used (or at least banks will accept them)
Old 27 October 2009, 08:32 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I've never had a problem getting Tescos to take NI or Scottish notes

In fact, the other day they gave me 1 euro change instead of a £1 coin
hold onto it, a few more weeks and it will be worth more than a pound!
Old 27 October 2009, 08:58 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
what don't you understand?

legal tender -- has a very narrow, purely legal definition, and has nothing to do with whether a shop/garage etc etc HAS to accept it for payment.

and only Bank of England issued notes meet this criteria -- everything else is convention

hence why acceptence is so erratic

in practice all sterling notes can be used (or at least banks will accept them)

What a load of bollocks.

Its is the bank that printed the note that "promise to pay the bearer on demand" the amount of sterling no matter which bank printed the feckin thing.

So what your saying is if it isn't a bank of england note then it isn't worth anything?

No wonder the Irish, Welsh and Scots all think the English are a bunch of w**kers!!

And for the record IM English
Old 27 October 2009, 11:19 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
You've just read the currency is sterling? Sorry, but that comment is just an indication of how stupid some people are.

Never realise that NI is part of the United Kingdom? What were you doing in geography lessons????

Dave

PS: look at currency at http://wikitravel.org/en/Northern_Ireland ..... I'd get them to a) change the notes before they come or b) take them to a bank to verify before you let them have the car.
Thanks for the PS, as for the rest your obviously looking for a fight. Get a life
Old 28 October 2009, 08:03 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

we ain't looking for a fight, we just want you conceited english ****** to realise that you don't have the only noted currency in the UK.
Old 28 October 2009, 09:38 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Here Here
Old 28 October 2009, 10:02 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
On the flip side, i've spent Scottish notes in England and it's almost as if the cashiers have had a smug look about them because they know it's legal tender. Makes me laugh.

I can tell you an amusing story about Scottish notes.

Customer pulls up and asks for a 5quid wash a few years back, customer then thumbs threw his wallet and chooses the Scottish 10quid note from the rest, with a right smarmy look on his face, i could almost see him orgasm in pure delight in getting rid of this note.

Walked into the office to the till and picked up a Scottish 5quid note for his change

His face when i walked back out with it LOL!

I have had a few customers refuse to take them as change before to be honest.
Old 28 October 2009, 10:07 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel the love for the English here.
Old 28 October 2009, 10:11 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Its an attempt at a reality check
Bank of England notes are not the only notes you know
Its like that messed up American culture in which half of them have never left the country, and therefore don't know any better.
Old 28 October 2009, 10:13 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
What a load of bollocks.

Its is the bank that printed the note that "promise to pay the bearer on demand" the amount of sterling no matter which bank printed the feckin thing.

So what your saying is if it isn't a bank of england note then it isn't worth anything?

No wonder the Irish, Welsh and Scots all think the English are a bunch of w**kers!!

And for the record IM English

Last time i looked into it, they are not actually legal tender in England to be honest.

A few years back all the business`s round this way stopped accepting Scottish 20 notes, for the reason that gangs of pikey Scotsmen were driving down to Newcastle, and spending fake 20quid notes.

Because us English types dont tend to see a Scottish note very often, and the fact that Scotland seams to have about 4 different banks printing different 20 notes, coupled with the fact that Scottish 20quid notes are not that common in England, meant that nobody could spot the fakes, and all the business around this way got hammered one weekend.

Asda, Mcdonalds, Jamies Tiles, Grainger Games, plus i assume everybody else on the industrial estate, got a right hammering.

Notices were put in in all shops explaining that Scottish 20`s would now longer be taken, i would assume the larger companies looked into the legal aspect of this before doing it.

I did have some angry Scotsman tell me that i could be expected to be dragged before his mate, who was a Scottish MP after we also stopped taking them.

We now accept them by the way, i assume the scammers have since went elsewhere.

I would expect them to lie low and come back in a few years to repeat the scam mind.........
Old 28 October 2009, 10:16 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I can tell you an amusing story about Scottish notes.

Customer pulls up and asks for a 5quid wash a few years back, customer then thumbs threw his wallet and chooses the Scottish 10quid note from the rest, with a right smarmy look on his face, i could almost see him orgasm in pure delight in getting rid of this note.

Walked into the office to the till and picked up a Scottish 5quid note for his change

His face when i walked back out with it LOL!

Like that story, Ive had scottish notes before never had a problem using them.
Old 28 October 2009, 10:25 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Its an attempt at a reality check
Bank of England notes are not the only notes you know
Its like that messed up American culture in which half of them have never left the country, and therefore don't know any better.
We will all be just another state of the EU soon, all part of labours plan to divide and conquer
Old 28 October 2009, 10:29 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Just rechecked

Bank of England|Banknotes|More About Banknotes|Banknote FAQs

Can all the bloody foreigners shut up now
And take yer "funny money" elsewhere

Quick Reply: Converting Northern Ireland Sterling into English Sterling