About time the Australian & British Governments Apologised

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2009, 01:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About time the Australian & British Governments Apologised

I should bloody think so

I was absolutely shocked that this happened. Certainly cast a new light on our supposed 'halcyon years'
Old 16 November 2009, 02:00 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is that words are cheap.
Unfortunately these are the types of policy you get, when the ***** in government think they know what is good for others.
Old 16 November 2009, 02:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes a truly awful part of our history - relatively recently as well.

Does anyone know why this happened to start with? I don't think they were all kids from unmarried mothers or were that from families with other problems? Did Australia take them willingly as free labour although I see it must have cost them when some kids were very young.

There is an irony of course in that many in the UK would support shipping out all the young chavs and kids that mess up our society. What a joy that would be.

dl
Old 16 November 2009, 02:22 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Yes a truly awful part of our history - relatively recently as well.

Does anyone know why this happened to start with? I don't think they were all kids from unmarried mothers or were that from families with other problems? Did Australia take them willingly as free labour although I see it must have cost them when some kids were very young.

There is an irony of course in that many in the UK would support shipping out all the young chavs and kids that mess up our society. What a joy that would be.

dl
They were largely the poor, many of them orphans. Australias racist immigration policy resulted in them being desparate for 'White' immigrants to bolster their population
Old 16 November 2009, 02:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Certainly a shameful episode and it is a good thing to face up to giving those apologies. Just to think of children being sent off while being told their parents are dead makes me wild.

Les
Old 16 November 2009, 03:06 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

There was a lady talking about her experiences on Breakfast TV, before I went to work.
To see her still so upset, was terrible
Old 16 November 2009, 05:15 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I was put up for adoption in the '60s - knowing this I realise how lucky I was not to be pure white stock otherwise I would be posting this from some backwater near Alice Springs, holding a tinny, driving my 'Ute and reflecting on the ease at which I could ***t myself at a moments notice.
Old 16 November 2009, 07:15 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes -- it makes a mockery of this constant harking back to the mythical past where everything was golden (always 25 years ago you will find)

All warm beer, hot summers and proper cold winters – was rubbish when it was spouted in the 70’s & 80’s and is still rubbish now.

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 16 November 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 16 November 2009, 08:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i suppose, on the bright side -- back in those dark dark days, when this shameful policy was devised and executed Britain was well, British --- whiter, if you know what I mean
Old 16 November 2009, 11:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Nice of Brown to apologise for something that happened 50 years ago. Makes it seem like he *cares*. That's not to lessen what was a shameful episode in history but Brown, nor Rudd, were responsible so why the h3ll should they apologise? At least Blair stopped short of an apology for the slave trade (can't believe I've actually found something positive to say about him!!). I'd find Brown, and Rudd, more credible if they apologised for the mess they've made of the country now!

Dave
Dave, sorry fella but you are unbelievably wrong here, it's absolutely RIGHT for both governments to apologise, simply because the victims are alive and desparately wanted the statements of apology from both leaders, would you deny them that?

I wish you'd just park your hatred for a minute to just consider the victims of this appalling episode. You know some things are just the right thing to do irrespective of politics!

Last edited by Martin2005; 16 November 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 17 November 2009, 08:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sorry, what *hatred*? I was expressing my opinion. I just see no benefit/sense in someone apologising for the actions of others 50 years ago.

Dave
Dave, He gets carried away from time to time

Oh and Red Ken beat brown and Blair to it - have a read; http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...on.humanrights And Kenny was not one to apologise for very much, including insulting a jewish photographer comparing him to a **** concentration camp guard - the cynic in me might think he was playing to the media

Now the govenments have apologised:
How about finding and punishing those responsible for the lies and disception
How about finding and punishing those respobnsible for the child cruelty and abuse
And punishing these buggers!

This went on until the early 60's so some of the perpetratiors will still be alive, why not go after them...

Last edited by The Zohan; 17 November 2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 17 November 2009, 09:27 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Canadians where doing this but stopped in the 1930's. The Aussies panicked after WW2 because of the yellow tide from east asia and where trying to redress the balance of colour.

Many where not orphans and where told their parents where dead! I listened to a man yesterday who discovered his father had died after he had been sent to Oz and he had brothers and sisters back in the UK.

If you think this was bad watch a film called "Rabbit Proof Fence" or "The Magdalene Sisters". This was going on until the mid-1970's.
Old 17 November 2009, 09:38 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Nice of Brown to apologise for something that happened 50 years ago. Makes it seem like he *cares*. That's not to lessen what was a shameful episode in history but Brown, nor Rudd, were responsible so why the h3ll should they apologise? At least Blair stopped short of an apology for the slave trade (can't believe I've actually found something positive to say about him!!). I'd find Brown, and Rudd, more credible if they apologised for the mess they've made of the country now!

Dave
Dave,

look at it from the perspective of the victims. They absolutely want someone to accept responsibility for a dreadful episode from history. In many cases a legalised version of child trafficking.

The apology is not by Rudd or Brown, it is made by them on behalf of Government. It is the office, not the person, rightfully making the apology.

This at least allows some acceptance of responsibility to be taken and an official acceptance of the victims plight.

Trout
Old 17 November 2009, 10:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Yes -- it makes a mockery of this constant harking back to the mythical past where everything was golden (always 25 years ago you will find)

All warm beer, hot summers and proper cold winters – was rubbish when it was spouted in the 70’s & 80’s and is still rubbish now.
Do you actually remember those times yourself, or even earlier perhap's.

Les
Old 17 November 2009, 11:52 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you actually remember those times yourself, or even earlier perhap's.

Les
yes I do

and I remember people saying how much better everything was "20 years ago" all through the 70's 80's and 90's

and in 20 years time they will be saying it about the present

off course we always eulogise about the past but I always think it is an easy and trite comment to make especially in a discussion about the relative merits of past and present society.

it’s not perfect now, by any means, but by god its better than it was

take infant and child mortality -- in the 50’s 60's and 70's the biggest killer of children was disease (in all its forms)

now it is pretty rare for disease to kill children -- so rare that it usually makes the headlines

Incidentally, I believe the biggest killer of children now is cars

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 17 November 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 17 November 2009, 12:22 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

A question for you then - if there is no 'apology' which in itself is nothing more than a word - how do you think the victims get recognition/acceptance/responsibility for their plight?

As a victim this can be a very important part of healing. It is not the only way but for many it is the easiest way.
Old 17 November 2009, 04:59 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I had met one of the boys who had been sent to Australia under this scheme, back in 1974, he had been in jail once or twice, he went back to Australia and commited a pretty serious crime and was jailed for life, Needless to say that if you do some research into the conditions that some of these lads endured it kind of explains why some of the worst criminals in Australian history are lads that went to certain correctional homes
after being sent from the UK.
Old 17 November 2009, 05:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
They were largely the poor, many of them orphans. Australias racist immigration policy resulted in them being desparate for 'White' immigrants to bolster their population
or was it the british who put up this slogan - queen head of the commonwealth and all
Old 17 November 2009, 06:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

TBH, pretty sick of Brown apologising for stuff he DIDN'T do, but refusing point blank to apologise for stuff he and Bliar did do.
Old 17 November 2009, 09:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
TBH, pretty sick of Brown apologising for stuff he DIDN'T do, but refusing point blank to apologise for stuff he and Bliar did do.
Oh dear I fear our recent meetings of mind have come to a shuddering halt

It cannot possibly be 'sick' to apologise can it??
Old 17 November 2009, 11:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Not unless you're doing it for political expediency reasons. Was looking at DK's site earlier and saw this ... The Devil's Kitchen: Political Apologies - A primer Sort of sums up the situation.

Dave
Sometimes I just don't understand where you re coming from.

Why are YOU trying to make this political?

I couldn't give a flying **** about the government and it's motives (assuming I take the same tragic perspective as you and that daft website/blog you keep insisting as a 'source'). Ultimately the victims wanted the governments to apologise, you would deny them that?

The only 'sick' thing is people using this as an excuse to bash the government
Old 18 November 2009, 06:43 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Oh dear I fear our recent meetings of mind have come to a shuddering halt

It cannot possibly be 'sick' to apologise can it??
Perhaps the word he was looking for was slick.
I wouldn't be too hard on the poster for assuming Brown has done this for political reasons.
It is the nature of the politic beast and lets face it, this is an area of totally risk free positive capital.
Plus you get the additional laugh of Brown trying to look humble Win win as they say
Can't wait to see the video. Is it going to be on youtube this time?

Last edited by cster; 18 November 2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 18 November 2009, 07:16 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Dave H,

your criticism of the political dimension is fair - however you have chosen not to answer my question. Rather than just criticising - what would be your suggestion as to how the victims could be best supported in getting acceptance/responsibility/closure.

If you can answer this then your criticism can only gain weight as there may be an equally powerful and valid alternative.

Trout (still up as when the youngest finally went back to sleep the older one woke up crying - and now it is morning!!)
Old 18 November 2009, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
yes I do

and I remember people saying how much better everything was "20 years ago" all through the 70's 80's and 90's

and in 20 years time they will be saying it about the present

off course we always eulogise about the past but I always think it is an easy and trite comment to make especially in a discussion about the relative merits of past and present society.

it’s not perfect now, by any means, but by god its better than it was

take infant and child mortality -- in the 50’s 60's and 70's the biggest killer of children was disease (in all its forms)

now it is pretty rare for disease to kill children -- so rare that it usually makes the headlines

Incidentally, I believe the biggest killer of children now is cars
I am glad you remember those times. A lot of what you say is true of course, but I remember back a bit earlier than that and what was so much better was peoples' attitude in general. Most thought of others before themselves, there was less of the "look after number one" and also there was less crime and petty thieving. Mugging with violence of course had not been heard of in this country. People felt in general that they could trust others and that they would not be ripped off. If anyone was seen to be in trouble for some reason, there would always be someone else who would try to help.

It was even felt that politicians could be trusted and that was rarely misplaced. Anyone who screwed up thorough his own fault or who was caught fiddling would resign from the job without question.

Yes the medical abilities and facilities were not as advanced as now of course and we were still learning about diseases and how to cure them. Most lived a fairly healthy life though, not so much of the fast food about which was not a bad thing. Healthy eating then was purely a natural way to live anyway.

When you take an enquiring look at the world today and the way life in general is heading with selfish people jockeying for more and more power and the advantages financial and otherwise which they are only too happy to take full advantage of, there are good reasons for thinking well of earlier times.

We are being herded together now and being fooled also into what will become an Orwellian existence-and I can assure you, that will not be very nice!

Les
Old 18 November 2009, 12:15 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I am glad you remember those times. A lot of what you say is true of course, but I remember back a bit earlier than that and what was so much better was peoples' attitude in general. Most thought of others before themselves, there was less of the "look after number one" and also there was less crime and petty thieving. Mugging with violence of course had not been heard of in this country. People felt in general that they could trust others and that they would not be ripped off. If anyone was seen to be in trouble for some reason, there would always be someone else who would try to help.

It was even felt that politicians could be trusted and that was rarely misplaced. Anyone who screwed up thorough his own fault or who was caught fiddling would resign from the job without question.

Yes the medical abilities and facilities were not as advanced as now of course and we were still learning about diseases and how to cure them. Most lived a fairly healthy life though, not so much of the fast food about which was not a bad thing. Healthy eating then was purely a natural way to live anyway.

When you take an enquiring look at the world today and the way life in general is heading with selfish people jockeying for more and more power and the advantages financial and otherwise which they are only too happy to take full advantage of, there are good reasons for thinking well of earlier times.

We are being herded together now and being fooled also into what will become an Orwellian existence-and I can assure you, that will not be very nice!

Les
les -- i wouldn’t really disagree with anything you say (especially the surveillance society) -- but I don’t think it is entirely Gordon Browns fault, who, I actually think, wants to do the right thing, but just has some serious personality flaws to contend with

test match cricket back on terrestial TV would be a start

Quick Reply: About time the Australian & British Governments Apologised