Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Train Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2009, 01:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Train Drivers

You don't have to steer, or deal with passengers, all you do is start and stop, parp your horn, turn light on and off, no oncoming traffic, .....and you want a bigger that 3% pay rise?

This....despite earning 38k with overtime earnings for another 12k?

Get real!
Old 18 November 2009, 01:43 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

lol. i think the horns are automatic too
Old 18 November 2009, 01:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Yes that's all they do...

I think it's you that needs to get real mate.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I know a train driver. Reckons it can be the most agonizingly boring job in the world. I don't know if they need to pay the sort of money they do to retain staff who can at least hold their concentration, but i reckon it must be a pretty unfullfilling profession.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:04 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

That £12k mentioned in overtime is just that though, overtime, they have to get up at 2 or 3 in the morning and go and earn it.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:04 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
You don't have to steer, or deal with passengers, all you do is start and stop, parp your horn, turn light on and off, no oncoming traffic, .....and you want a bigger that 3% pay rise?

This....despite earning 38k with overtime earnings for another 12k?

Get real!
Hopefully
Old 18 November 2009, 02:08 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't the salaries are quite that high. I think top dollar at Freightliner is around that area but its the exception rather than the rule.

If I could retrain as a train driver I would do it tomorrow. I think its a tough job to get into. 1000s of applicants for a handful of jobs.

Last edited by EddScott; 18 November 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2009, 02:11 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

A guy I used to go to school with wanted to be a train driver. I asked him why as I thought it would a boring job. He said it wouldn't be boring as he could wave to people on the bridges.

He was an idiot.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:11 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

In Dave's defence I did freak when I saw how much they get paid, would never have thought it would be that much! Not like you have to have a degree to do it is it? To be on that where I work, you would have to have mucho responsibility (Area Management) and lots of qualifications in a relevant subject - and this is public sector!

Please tell me how it is worth that much money! I would really like to know!
Old 18 November 2009, 02:13 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Sometimes you're paid for what you know, rather that what you do.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightMan
A guy I used to go to school with wanted to be a train driver. I asked him why as I thought it would a boring job. He said it wouldn't be boring as he could wave to people on the bridges.

He was an idiot.
Are you not allowed to wave at people
Old 18 November 2009, 02:15 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I don't the salaries are quite that high. I think top dollar at Freightliner is around that area but its the exception rather than the rule.

If I could retrain as a train driver I would do it tomorrow. I think its a tough job to get into. 1000s of applicants for a handful of jobs.
iirc LOROL driver are on around £36-38 basic, with some earning up to £60 with overtime.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

They're paid a lot because it's a boring job and without the attractive salary, there would be a high turnover of staff, with all the associated re-training costs etc.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:18 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
In Dave's defence I did freak when I saw how much they get paid, would never have thought it would be that much! Not like you have to have a degree to do it is it? To be on that where I work, you would have to have mucho responsibility (Area Management) and lots of qualifications in a relevant subject - and this is public sector!

Please tell me how it is worth that much money! I would really like to know!
Responsibility. An A380 pilot steers the aircraft down the runway, as soon as the main gear gets airborne, he presses auto pilot, and sits back and relaxes until the gear makes contact at his destination. He isn't paid 100k a year to fly the plane, he's paid to know how to fly it, should he need to.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:22 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

It's only the high speed drivers that get the larger wage packets.

My old dear retrained from a conductor to a driver, and had a book thicker than war and peace to learn word for word.
She has to learn all the routes she drives, with every sign, waypoint and signal in order and to the timings.

Not my idea of fun, but where public safety is concerned, they don't **** around.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:23 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
They're paid a lot because it's a boring job and without the attractive salary, there would be a high turnover of staff, with all the associated re-training costs etc.

I'd disagree with you there, train driving hasn't always been so well paid, it's more down to the unions agreeing on attractive pay deals, a LOT of the older boys on the job have been driving for most of their working life starting with BR, maybe the job was more interesting back then but not much.

Last edited by cookstar; 18 November 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:31 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

You can`t race or overtake anyone driving a train or have a bout of rail rage, whats the point ?
Old 18 November 2009, 02:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Responsibility. An A380 pilot steers the aircraft down the runway, as soon as the main gear gets airborne, he presses auto pilot, and sits back and relaxes until the gear makes contact at his destination. He isn't paid 100k a year to fly the plane, he's paid to know how to fly it, should he need to.
That's really not the same deal. I know very little about flying an A380 or driving a train however, I'd bet if you plonked me in the cockpit of either and said, "make everyone safe" that I could stop the train with ease but would fail to safely land a plane. Flying a plane needs skills, knowledge and experience and the fact that autopilot exists isn't in itself a reason to suggest it's easy. By comparison there is far less involvment in driving a train and you probably have to be far more negligent to 'fvck' things up.

I don't mean to belittle train drivers, but for that money it does strike me as an easy job. There's no shame in that. On a £ per hour basis I'd bet my job is one of the easiest of anyone on the forum. My mate gets £55k a year working offshore and the actual tasks he does are super-simple. He gets paid that amount to be away from home for 2 weeks solid in a hostile environment. Train drivers presumably get paid to work unfavourable hours doing a fairly easy job that does, nevertheless, involve ensuring the safety of hundreds of passengers.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:39 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

One question to people that think £36k is a lot of money, how many Christmas Days, Boxing Days, New Years Eve nights are you rostered to work?
Old 18 November 2009, 02:41 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cookstar, try asking a group of nurses that and see if you get out alive!!
Old 18 November 2009, 02:43 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Always wondered - how do trains navigate? Presumably this is mostly down to the signalmen rather than drivers, but how does it all work through busy junctions and so on? Must be quite a headache, especially when some trains are more delayed than others so they're all in the wrong order. I don't think I've ever knowingly been on a train that's gone the wrong way! Is it all automated with transponders somehow?
Old 18 November 2009, 02:43 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

And policemen/firemen etc !!
Old 18 November 2009, 02:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Always wondered - how do trains navigate? Presumably this is mostly down to the signalmen rather than drivers, but how does it all work through busy junctions and so on? Must be quite a headache, especially when some trains are more delayed than others so they're all in the wrong order. I don't think I've ever knowingly been on a train that's gone the wrong way! Is it all automated with transponders somehow?

That's my job, and yes it's a headache.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, same for the Police/Fire fighters, but surely these are jobs have other rewards than just purely financial, otherwise why do them?
Old 18 November 2009, 03:00 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
That's really not the same deal. I know very little about flying an A380 or driving a train however, I'd bet if you plonked me in the cockpit of either and said, "make everyone safe" that I could stop the train with ease but would fail to safely land a plane. Flying a plane needs skills, knowledge and experience and the fact that autopilot exists isn't in itself a reason to suggest it's easy. By comparison there is far less involvment in driving a train and you probably have to be far more negligent to 'fvck' things up.

I don't mean to belittle train drivers, but for that money it does strike me as an easy job. There's no shame in that. On a £ per hour basis I'd bet my job is one of the easiest of anyone on the forum. My mate gets £55k a year working offshore and the actual tasks he does are super-simple. He gets paid that amount to be away from home for 2 weeks solid in a hostile environment. Train drivers presumably get paid to work unfavourable hours doing a fairly easy job that does, nevertheless, involve ensuring the safety of hundreds of passengers.
Pretty easy to kill people with a train; just ignore one signal. You need to learn every route intricately and know when to brake or accelerate for things you can't even see yet. I daresay driving a tube train is a lot easier than a pair of Class 66's dragging a full load of coal up the Lickey Incline. I also wouldn't fancy trying to stop over 500 tons in a hurry because some ******** has parked his car on a level crossing. Then there's the various suicides, vandalism etc. to deal with.

It's a bit like saying being an Stockbroker is easy because all you do is buy low and sell high.
Old 18 November 2009, 03:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

True, that's why the lower pay of nursing/firefighter/police is all the more baffling. But then why pay more if you can get bums on seats i suppose. But that's a completely different discussion.

It does make you wonder how the pay level for train drivers has reached this level though. Either it's due to the high cost of training etc, or that the less capable candidates you'd get if you paid less have demonstrated that you have to be a bit better than average not to get it all horribly wrong...
Old 18 November 2009, 03:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy

i think you are essentially agreeing with Flightman
Old 18 November 2009, 03:07 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But NotREV, *can* you actually "ignore" a signal these days...??
Old 18 November 2009, 03:13 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

But NotREV, *can* you actually "ignore" a signal these days...??

Yes, a lot of signals are fitted with AWS (automatic warning system) & TPWS (train protection warning system) .. basically if you fly through a signal displaying a danger aspect, or approach with a higher speed than authorised, you will get an automatic brake application, however not all signals are fitted with such systems due to the huge cost involved in the installation.

So yes you could just drive straight though them, it happens, not very often though.

Last edited by cookstar; 18 November 2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 18 November 2009, 03:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Chappy in a control room controls things in regards to the setting of points/switches and signals.

My Grandfather was a signalman (Tonbridge Signal box) for many, many years, did look somewhat complex, but was great for a kid to watch him at work and be allowed to press the odd button.

Quick Reply: Train Drivers