Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Climate Change and Emissions trading

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 02:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Change and Emissions trading

Ive just been listening to the Guardian Weekly Podcast, it was news to me that the EU set caps on the amount of a pollutant that can be emitted and companies in the European emissions trading scheme have to buy carbon credits, fine you might think.

The problem is that we are constantly told to try and reduce and own "carbon footprint" by way of turning off the lights when not in use, not using the car, amongst many others, the list is endless. But in practice this is pointless because, say if one day the whole UK turned off the lights and we saved, say 50% on electricity, the energy firms then just go and sell their emissions allowances to another sector, so not actually reducing emissions and not in anyway helping to save the planet

Do you see what I am getting at
Old 19 November 2009, 03:40 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

no
Old 19 November 2009, 03:59 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Well, say if the UK is allowed to emit 10000 tons of carbon dioxide a month, us mere mortals are not in anyway going to effect that by reducing our own carbon footprint, by using gas, oil, electricity etc because what is not used by us, will be used by someone else anyway. So there will always be 10000 tons emitted regardless
Old 19 November 2009, 04:15 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Well, say if the UK is allowed to emit 10000 tons of carbon dioxide a month, us mere mortals are not in anyway going to effect that by reducing our own carbon footprint, by using gas, oil, electricity etc because what is not used by us, will be used by someone else anyway. So there will always be 10000 tons emitted regardless
But there is a high price to be paid for the 10k tons of carbon 'credits' by those who want to buy it. This will mean the price of energy going up in that country, ultimately reducing demand for high cost carbon energy, and making non/low carbon energy more attractive.

A simply traded commodity opperating within normal supply and demand conventions.

I'm sure there will be plenty of folk who tell why it may or may not work in reality, but that's the theory.
Old 19 November 2009, 04:20 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

The credits cap the further increase in emissions and promote more economical methods in the future.

Carbon Credits is going o be the next big instrument to trade!
Old 19 November 2009, 04:26 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I am fed up to back teeth with the government using this 'global warming' bollocks as an excuse to tax every poor b&stard with a heart beat to oblivion. How come we are still taking this crap when there is no scientific evidence that we are to blame for climate change, but yet there is a vast amount suggesting that it is just the earth going through it's normal cycle? Aren't we due for a global climate shift? Based on the earths past history, one is not long around the corner.
Old 19 November 2009, 04:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I am fed up to back teeth with the government using this 'global warming' bollocks as an excuse to tax every poor b&stard with a heart beat to oblivion. How come we are still taking this crap when there is no scientific evidence that we are to blame for climate change, but yet there is a vast amount suggesting that it is just the earth going through it's normal cycle? Aren't we due for a global climate shift? Based on the earths past history, one is not long around the corner.
Yeah those sneeky gits are going to give me a grant to insulate my home....oh hang on a minute, thats them giving me money!!!!!

Oh no I cannot square this with the 'tax me to death' conspiracy, brain close to exploding, doesn't compute! doesn't compute!

Last edited by Martin2005; 19 November 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 19 November 2009, 04:38 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Yeah those sneeky gits are going to give me a grant to insulate my home....oh hang on a minute, thats them giving me money!!!!!

Oh no I cannot square this with the 'tax me to death' conspiracy, brain close to exploding, doesn't compute! doesn't compute!
And where do you think all that grant money comes from?
Old 19 November 2009, 04:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

could spell the end of Scoobynet -- with the amount of hot air it produces
Old 19 November 2009, 04:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

And where do you think all that grant money comes from?
Same place any government money comes from. What's that got to do with it.

And whilst I'm at it, why spend billions on new Nuclear power stations and carbon capture if it's all about collecting more taxes?
Old 19 November 2009, 05:06 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....oh hang on a minute, thats them giving me money!!!!!

Oh no I cannot square this with the 'tax me to death' conspiracy
Same place any government money comes from.

you are contradicting yourself.
Old 19 November 2009, 05:10 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones

you are contradicting yourself.
No it's showing an obvious flaw in the conspiracy theory

Why would the government want me to insulate my home, let alone help me pay for it? Surley that would result in me burning less fuel, and therefore paying less tax?

Get it?
Old 19 November 2009, 05:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im sure the whole things been dreamt up in order to slow down China taking over the western world

20 years ago nobody had even heard of climate change

Last edited by dpb; 19 November 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 19 November 2009, 06:44 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Im sure the whole things been dreamt in order to slow down China taking over the western world

20 years ago nobody had even heard of climate change
Correct, 20 years ago we were all sighing in relief as we'd averted an ice age.

Then came "global warming "

Now it's " climate change "

It's all b@llocks.
Old 19 November 2009, 07:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I want a grant to insulate my home as I bed Martin is earning a damn sight more then me at the minute
Old 19 November 2009, 07:34 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I want a grant to insulate my home as I bed Martin is earning a damn sight more then me at the minute
You're not bedding me mate
Old 19 November 2009, 10:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Regardless of who is bedding who here .... ... the only reason for 'carbon trading' rather than a tax on emissions is so big business can make more money.

Dave

PS: the 'Greenies' are now calling it 'carbon' 'cos that's all black and nasty whereas CO2 is a colourless, odourless gas which doesn't conjure up images of 'yuckiness' and cries of 'Oh God, we must save the planet!' ......
No it's carbon because it's carbon, afterall you can't release the refreshing clear oderless (maybe slightly perfumed) gas if you don't burn carbon can you?
Old 19 November 2009, 10:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

+1

I'd like to make it Plus-100, but i haven't bought enough "credits" from the quangos that are implementing pointless "carbon trading schemes" to feather their own nests

mb
Old 19 November 2009, 10:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

No it's carbon because it's carbon, afterall you can't release the refreshing clear oderless (maybe slightly perfumed) gas if you don't burn carbon can you?
No, ******* like Ed Millipede call it "carbon" because they don't have a fecking clue that what they are talking about is "plant food" - essential for, er, plants and trees and grass and, er, food (even if it is delivered by cows etc.).

The tide is turning, and the Gore-ites will be exposed as the lying, snake-oil selling fraudsters that they really are!!

mb
Old 19 November 2009, 11:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
No, ******* like Ed Millipede call it "carbon" because they don't have a fecking clue that what they are talking about is "plant food" - essential for, er, plants and trees and grass and, er, food (even if it is delivered by cows etc.).

The tide is turning, and the Gore-ites will be exposed as the lying, snake-oil selling fraudsters that they really are!!

mb
Firstly let's all hope you're right.

Now why is necessary for people to constantly make dumbass 'play on words' out of peoples names, it's childish, facile and does absolutely nothing to demonstrate a depth or breadth of understanding of the issues, it's kind of a Sun reader thing, and bloody annoying.

Now I don't know if GW is driven by human beings anymore than you do, but if it is and people like start to hold sway, then we're all fcuked aren't we?
Old 19 November 2009, 11:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
'Carbon' is NOT being emitted!

Climate Change Fraud - CO2 is not Carbon

"... So how did CO2 become synonymous with Carbon? First of all, somebody with extraordinary public relations skills realized that CO2 in and of itself is an odorless, colorless natural gas that is the byproduct of every living organism on the planet, a major gas released by volcanoes (and other geothermal processes), is necessary for the survival of all plant life on earth, is not a pollutant, and just doesn't sound that 'dirty.' Carbon, on the other hand, is associated with coal, reminds you of something dark and sooty, and is much easier to illustrate when showing black chunks of CO2 billowing from factories, cars, houses, and skyscrapers. And doesn't a Carbon Tax roll of the tongue just a little bit easier than a Carbon Dioxide Tax? So the IPCC in its infinite marketing wisdom modified their press-ready reports and substituted the word Carbon for CO2 wherever plausible. The media ATE it up. Hey, they have to sell papers and magazines too, which they wouldn't be able to do without the CO2 that feeds the trees they chop down for the paper ..."

But hey, there's no conspiracy to tax the cr*p out of us is there. No, 'course not .....

Dave
Who said we are emitting carbon, certainly not me.

But you can't emitt Co2 without burning carbon can you?

NO THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY, NEVER HAS BEEN, and the day you drop this ridiculous notion is the day that your argument start to gain credibility. The 'Tax conspiracy' is so full of holes it sinks your whole theory.
Old 20 November 2009, 07:53 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Again, where is the proof that we make any noticable difference to the overall climate?
Old 20 November 2009, 08:00 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

But you can't emitt Co2 without burning carbon can you?
It seems that you are as clueless as Millipede!!!!

Of course you can emit CO2 without "burning carbon" - you are doing it right now!!! It is called respiration!!!

Maybe we should all stop breathing?

mb
Old 20 November 2009, 08:53 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I don't give a monkeys and drive a 5 litre V8

*revs engine for no reason*

I also drive very fast when I go by any eco cars

Old 20 November 2009, 09:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The whole planet is only carbon dioxide nitrogen and oxygen - were just moving it around a bit , in minute quantites !
Old 20 November 2009, 09:36 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Martin2005;9058374]But you can't emitt Co2 without burning carbon can you?

This has to be the dumbest quote of all time. CO2, apart from being essential to plants for a start, is also actually required for breathing. Without it we can't breathe funniliy enough. Some people just have no clue...

Anyway, here's some interesting news. Hadley CRU hacked.

Breaking News Story: CRU has apparently been hacked – hundreds of files released Watts Up With That?

More clueless Gore.

Gore has no clue – a few million degrees here and there and pretty soon we’re talking about real temperature Watts Up With That?

What's that Mr. Gore, the Coriolis effect works the other way in your world?

Not finding any, Gore airbrushes in hurricanes for his new book Watts Up With That?

Last edited by Klaatu; 20 November 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:48 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer

mb
Agreed. The internet has done their cause no favours. With more and more evidence coming to light suggesting that we are just along for the ride rather than making in difference, the clock is ticking for the eco-mentalists!

Quick Reply: Climate Change and Emissions trading