Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Let's hear it for the Swiss!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2009, 06:18 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's hear it for the Swiss!!

We should be allowed referenda like the Swiss are...

Swiss voters back minaret construction ban - Europe, World - The Independent
Old 30 November 2009, 06:23 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just goes to show the dangers of allowing people to vote in a democracy!

Referendae are a failure of true democracy!
Old 30 November 2009, 07:02 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Always took the swiss for being a bunch of closet ****'s anyway, hardly a surprising vote. It is however their right to do as they like in their own country. Just a sad reflection on many of them that in their eyes a Muslim will never be part of their country and will always be seen as an intruder. I would expect a nation that gave so much support to the **** party would be a little more careful in its world image though.
Old 30 November 2009, 07:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Always took the swiss for being a bunch of closet ****'s anyway, hardly a surprising vote. It is however their right to do as they like in their own country. Just a sad reflection on many of them that in their eyes a Muslim will never be part of their country and will always be seen as an intruder. I would expect a nation that gave so much support to the **** party would be a little more careful in its world image though.
I don't think they give a flying fvck to be honest

they go by the maxim that

"they're are no golden rules, those that have the gold make the rules"
Old 30 November 2009, 08:13 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutton_d
And the dangers are???? Something was put to the vote and the majority vote was carried forward. Can't see the problem. If you disagree with the majority vote, you should have a) campaigned against it and now b) gone along with the majority verdict.

Dave
I guess one potential danger might be the persecution of minorities.
You may know of the sort of thing - Jews in German speaking countries and so on.
Old 01 December 2009, 09:28 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Trout

Indeed, but they still are the only real democracy!

If that's what the majority want though........

Geezer
Old 01 December 2009, 09:38 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Perhaps they wondered what chance theyd have of building a Lutheran church in Mecca?
Old 01 December 2009, 10:10 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Thought this was going to be about Christmas lights
Old 01 December 2009, 10:12 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Gosh yes - much better to have an elite telling the people what to do and think instead eh? Totalitarianism FTW!

Idiot!
Old 01 December 2009, 11:26 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Perhaps they wondered what chance theyd have of building a Lutheran church in Mecca?
Right on!

I've travelled all around the world including the middle east and I have never seen a church. I'm fairly sure there are no christians or churches in any muslim countries.

Some don't even have a McDonalds ffs!
Old 01 December 2009, 11:47 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

3/10. You should have stayed at home and continued your education.
Old 01 December 2009, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do you really think that when the establishment having got itself elected on a series of promises which were then conveniently forgotten then carries on to enter the country into an illegal war, once again ignoring the enormous groundswell of public opinion which was so overwhelmingly demonstrated at the time.

Do you think it demonstrates democracy to break the promise of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty which is more accurately described as an enormous step towards federation telling us the lies that it was only to facilitate the Eu when in fact it was giving so much extra power to that corrupt organisation. It is in fact following Jean Monnet's advice in 1947 to con the Eu countries into federation against their will? When that "treaty" was produced there was even advice from some of those associated with it that all the countries should have a referendum at the time because of the distance it goes towards complete federation. Do we really want to lose our country?

When a government ignores or breaks it's promises given before an election, ignores the obvious wishes of the electorate over matter which were not extant before the election, then the only way to achieve any kind of democracy is to have a referendum. At least Ted Heath allowed us that even though we were conned over the eventual direction having joined the Common Market at the time.

Finally Trout, when federated to the unelected Eu, tell us what kind of democracy will this country be allowed to have!

Les
Old 01 December 2009, 12:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Turkey is a Muslim country -- it also has a long history of Christianity and many Christian churches

what is certain is that 20 thousand years from now history will lump Judaism, Christianity and Islam into one monotheistic religion.

just with some minor argument over prophets
Old 01 December 2009, 12:35 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
3/10. You should have stayed at home and continued your education.
Why you being like that? I know you are probably well educated to a high level, but there is no need for that.

I'm agreeing WITH your previous post, that muslims don't allow churches or the practice of christianity. Thats why there are NO churches in muslim countries. If thats not the case that makes YOUR previous post incorrect, and perhaps exposes you for the illiterate inbred fool you are
Old 01 December 2009, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Turkey is a Muslim country -- it also has a long history of Christianity and many Christian churches

what is certain is that 20 thousand years from now history will lump Judaism, Christianity and Islam into one monotheistic religion.

just with some minor argument over prophets
Do you really think they will be minor arguments?

Les
Old 01 December 2009, 12:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Well done the Swiss

Democracy in action. If only we were given such choices, and didn't have the decisions forced upon us.
Old 01 December 2009, 01:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

And the dangers are???? Something was put to the vote and the majority vote was carried forward. Can't see the problem. If you disagree with the majority vote, you should have a) campaigned against it and now b) gone along with the majority verdict.

Dave
This is utter bollox Dave and you know it...... 1930's Germany anyone?????
Old 01 December 2009, 03:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Why you being like that? I know you are probably well educated to a high level, but there is no need for that.

I'm agreeing WITH your previous post, that muslims don't allow churches or the practice of christianity. Thats why there are NO churches in muslim countries. If thats not the case that makes YOUR previous post incorrect, and perhaps exposes you for the illiterate inbred fool you are
Hmmm...The point troll, is that whilst christian churches do exist in muslim countries, theyre hardly welcomed. Initially I used Pakistan as an example, but changed that to Saudi Arabia to make the point clearer and less open to political dogma.

Try building a church steeple in N.Pakistan. You cant expect something that your 'own' state wont give to others.

Nice to have you back by the way: now f*ck off.
Old 01 December 2009, 03:52 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Godwins Law.....
Old 01 December 2009, 03:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Fascist!
Old 01 December 2009, 04:00 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Hmmm...The point troll, is that whilst christian churches do exist in muslim countries, theyre hardly welcomed. Initially I used Pakistan as an example, but changed that to Saudi Arabia to make the point clearer and less open to political dogma.

Try building a church steeple in N.Pakistan. You cant expect something that your 'own' state wont give to others.

Nice to have you back by the way: now f*ck off.
I see you wish to measure up the Swiss in this instance with the folk in N(orth?)Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
Talk about a self defeating argument.
I think you have encapsulated the whole subject superbly.

Last edited by cster; 01 December 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 04:02 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
This is utter bollox Dave and you know it...... 1930's Germany anyone?????
Gee, why didn't I think of that
Old 01 December 2009, 04:46 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 22BUK
We should be allowed referenda like the Swiss are...

Swiss voters back minaret construction ban - Europe, World - The Independent
You might be happy, but even a "regular" european is looked at weirdly by the Swiss.

They have issues.
Old 01 December 2009, 06:00 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
You might be happy, but even a "regular" european is looked at weirdly by the Swiss.

They have issues.
I think the nation that supplied the **** party with the hard currency necesary to wage war on most of the world and carry out the final solution, has a lot more than issues.
Also GC8 you are a living example of why stupid people should not be allowed to vote.
There are christian churches in Iran Pakistan UAE Egypt Tunisia Turkey Algeria Morocco Bahrain Indonesia Iraq Jordan Kuwait Libya Syria and Quatar. In fact Saudi is the only muslim country I know of that does not have a church and the first is being talked about right now. However GC8 I would not want to let reality get in the way of a useful prejudice.
Old 01 December 2009, 07:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Explain which part is 'bollox'? You don't believe in democracy then Martin? And what the h3ll does 1930's Germany got to do with the price of cheese ...??

Dave
Yes of course I believe in democracy, I believe in the large part that you elect a government to make decisions. Referendum should be saved for real issues.

This is just a recipe for the majority to oppress the minority.

Imagine if we had a referendum in this country into whether noisy polluting Subarus should be banned, and the YES campaign won, how good would you feel about democracy then?

Let's have a referendum on whether we should pay tax, or have to go to work.......
Old 01 December 2009, 07:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
There are christian churches in Iran Pakistan UAE Egypt Tunisia Turkey Algeria Morocco Bahrain Indonesia Iraq Jordan Kuwait Libya Syria and Quatar.
damn -- and i just got Turkey

oh google of blessed information finding, don't fail me know -- as Jake Elwood said in the Blues Brothers
Old 01 December 2009, 07:59 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Explain which part is 'bollox'? You don't believe in democracy then Martin? And what the h3ll does 1930's Germany got to do with the price of cheese ...??

Dave
He's making a comparison between the rising persecution of the jews and Switzerland basically getting more robust on their planning laws.

He's also talking shoite

The laws that were passed in pre war germany which came down on the jews had precisely zero referendums and everything to do with a facist government with a hidden agenda.

They were very good at propaganda. They preyed on German patriotism to encourage the mindset that "pure blood" was the best sort of german and at the same time, bombarded the cinemas (the widest available public medium of the time) with "scientific" films about how the jews were racially subhuman, using actors posing as scientists to lend credibility to their claims.

A few months later they'd bring in the nuremberg laws which basically did away with all jewish civil rights in a single stroke, further restricting their freedoms which were already highly restrictive. By this time, the brainwashing was so effective only a tiny minority disagreed. Of course the Jews couldnt disagree, by this time, they couldnt even vote.

The final straw was when a jewish lad killed a highly respected German diplomat. The **** party seized upon this and "the night of broken glass" took place. The Reality was the SS on the biggest rampage of their entire history, but once again, was spun and propagandised as honest german citizens venting their anger.

After that, it was all over bar the rounding up and the handing out the directions to auschwitz.

You should try reading some history books mate, not once in the persecution and extermination of the jews was public asked to vote in a referendum on their treatment. Their opinion was the only thing that mattered and that was poisoned by arguably the most intensive propaganda campaign in the history of mankind.

If you think that's what has happened in Switzerland in the last few days then you need your head looking at.
astraboy.

Quick Reply: Let's hear it for the Swiss!!