Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2009, 12:23 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone

still looking for a new phone on Orange after the problems with getting an upgrade to a HTC Touch Pro2 earlier this year.

i have a SE P990i and looking at the iphone i struggle to see what it does that is extra to my P990i except the playing music and video's recorded by others which TBH are of no interest to me. (stunned when they boast about running more than one application at a time and cut and paste my P990i does both of these and is ancient)

Orange seem to be like O2 in that now they have iPhone they are neglecting to bring forward serious buisness phones except the BB. I want to be able to view and edit word documents on my phone and view excel docs, sync with MS Outlook for contacts and tasks and calender.again all features on the P990i

anybody know of new phones due soon hopefully with a slide out or flip down (like the P990i) keyboard with 3G as i use it to tether my laptop when out away and want decent connection speeds for surfing.
Old 03 December 2009, 07:55 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Sync is standard

Tethering is a network dependent - usually about £7 a month

Editing documents - there is an app for that - indeed lots of apps

And the iPhone can do a whole lot of things with such ease compared to a 990.

And if by serious business phone you mean it is no fun to use and is serious then yes - it is just that an iPhone has a massive functional range and is easy to use and has fun stuff on it too. A truly universal device!
Old 03 December 2009, 09:19 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Can't be arsed to google. . .

Does the iphone support VPN and Remote Desktop & VNC?
Old 03 December 2009, 10:03 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Mocha VNC for iPhone - iPod Touch. - FAQ
Old 03 December 2009, 10:31 AM
ry4n
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Can't be arsed to google. . .

Does the iphone support VPN and Remote Desktop & VNC?
In a word, yes

Jaadu Remote Desktop | A Windows Remote Desktop client for the iPhone / iPod Touch

Jaadu VNC
Old 03 December 2009, 10:36 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

How about a Motorola DEXT ?
I am now tempted to get one to play with.

I can do all the things you mention on my poor little 8520 lol
Im hoping that Orange are NOT gonna go down the blinkered route now they have the iPhone.

Amazing how quickly the window displays of the O2 stores changed lol.

Good luck finding the right phone mate. I would be tempted to get one offline now tbh.

Have you done a details search on gsmarena or anything, to get some ideas of whats out there?
Old 03 December 2009, 11:37 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I looked on GSMArena a while back but find it slow to navigate round as it isnt logical to me, spoilt by SN! Lol

I use a American based site for Mobiles Howard Forums which i find better but nothing like SN for knowing what is happening on UK side, I did have Orange trying to sell me a Motorola DEXT when it first came out but it looks to be aimed at people who live on Facebook etc which isnt me.

The touch pro 2 looked ideal

The iPhone isnt very robust from what i understand and as they want you to be tied in for a 2 year contract i cant see the phone lasting that long, makes me laugh the contract is longer than the warranty on the phone.

BB tend not to have the internet features i use and only recently 3G??

i can get a 2nd hand P990i free so might just get that but i am due an upgrade.

I just struggle to see what the iPhone does so wel that my current old phone doesnt, so thought i would ask the users on here.
Old 03 December 2009, 11:44 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Here's the thing - if you like what you have got then why worry. You don't have to have an iPhone

Also they are available on 18 month contracts even if they prefer 24 months.

12 month warranties are pretty standard on phones, again not unique to the iPhone.

My personal experience is that my phones last pretty well for 18 months and then start to have niggles.

Except for my Nokia 6310i - not much function but the most robust phone with the next battery life of any phone I have ever owned!
Old 04 December 2009, 12:22 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Hi Trout i dont think i want an iPhone but i want to get a better Tarrif and Orange want to tie me in with a new contract if i do that so will need to decide on a new handset i will be happy with for the next 18 months or 2 years.

I keep looking at the phones on Orange and dont see anything that does what i want
Old 04 December 2009, 12:45 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't u keep your phone then and move over to a 12month SIM only deal?
Old 04 December 2009, 01:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I looked on GSMArena a while back but find it slow to navigate round as it isnt logical to me, spoilt by SN! Lol

I use a American based site for Mobiles Howard Forums which i find better but nothing like SN for knowing what is happening on UK side, I did have Orange trying to sell me a Motorola DEXT when it first came out but it looks to be aimed at people who live on Facebook etc which isnt me.

The touch pro 2 looked ideal

BB tend not to have the internet features i use and only recently 3G??
lol GSMArena is not so hard to get around, just do an advanced search with all the bits you want, and see what it throws up. Might be some suprises there.

I think the thing about the DEXT is it runs widgets well, I get the impression Orange have been told to use popular sites like Twitter and Facebook as they are known by the masses, but they offer far more than that as far as I know.

I will let ya know what I think when I get mine lol.

The bit about BB, they have had 3g for as long if not longer than the iPhone, just depends on which model you look at. The range structure is a little confusing to say the least lol.
What internet features is it that you use, I will have another look on GSM and see what it comes up with.

I have to say I would be tempted to stick with what you know if you like it and its doing all you need. Renewal is not a must, although I do usually feel obliged to try something new lol.
Worst case scenario, get the best phone they will offer you for free on the new tariff, carry on using the old phone and sell the new phone on to cover your line rental for the next year
Old 04 December 2009, 01:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just bought a 3.5" 320*480 capacitative touch screen with GPS Wifi Bluetooth 3G Camera Android phone on PAYG for £90+10 top up (T-Mobile Pulse). I can unlock it and change to Three for better 3G coverage if needed. Suits me as I hardly spend anything on calls and texts, just need a phone for when people need me, and would be nice to have the internet. If it is crap I can easily flog it on ebay and get the iPhone. As it is, it will cost about a quarter of the iPhone over the next two years I suspect.
Old 04 December 2009, 03:02 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I was looking at the TP2, but again Voda were so incompetent, they pretty much snatched defeat from the claws of victory!!LOL!!!

tbh, ended up with an iphone.

The only other thing that looked interesting was the Palm Pre.....
Old 04 December 2009, 03:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
I was looking at the TP2, but again Voda were so incompetent, they pretty much snatched defeat from the claws of victory!!LOL!!!

How is that working out for you?
Old 04 December 2009, 06:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I keep swapping between my TP2 and the iphone, as I like the iphone for its toys but then it pi55es me off causes it a crap phone so I go back to the TP2 as that is a superb phone and I like it better for the interweb as well
Old 04 December 2009, 09:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Gotta say, there WERE some limitations with the iphone, but now I've jailbroken it, they've mostly been overcome.

The Bluetooth file transfer isn't a major issue (and I can see that Apple don't want people to use it for bad things) - besides, there are other ways to get into an iphone.

I think that the failings of the iphone are somewhat overcome depending on if you have a Mac or not.... again, probably an Apple ploy

but yes, it's working REALLY well for me.

The *only* thing I'm missing is a decent camera. And Flash (macromedia & physical!)

Dan
Old 04 December 2009, 09:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Must add that the TP2 is quite probably a GREAT phone, but the availability issues caused by the phone provider forced my hand. Nothing else.

But the fact that HTC seem to release a new phone every other week would annoy me.
Old 04 December 2009, 09:59 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Must add that the TP2 is quite probably a GREAT phone, but the availability issues caused by the phone provider forced my hand. Nothing else.

But the fact that HTC seem to release a new phone every other week would annoy me.

If the TP2 had all the toys/apps the iphone had I wouldn't even bother with the iphone! Its hard to get a game working for the TP2 as the screen res is so high.
Old 05 December 2009, 12:39 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

When i spoke to customer services at Orange Buisness they said that they got lots of people wanting the TP2 and didnt know why it had been stopped by their head office.

HTC were still supplying it to networks that wanted it.

In fact Orange showed it as being available on their website for at least 3 months after they stopped supplying it!
Old 05 December 2009, 01:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Oh no, Jack finally got to you

Glad its worked out for you though mate. That was an annoying journey you went on there to say the least.

Orange did the same to me (one of the few annoyances in my history with them) Wanted an E71, lined it all up with the guy on the phone, he needed to confirm with retentions and said call back tomorrow. Called back and..... "the E71 isnt available to personal customers, only business"
I commited to a Blackberry during that call and have not looked back since lol

So in reality they did me a favour.
Gonna give Android a go though.

Main thing is, you came out happy eh