Fridge Engineers on here?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2009, 09:04 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Fridge Engineers on here?

QQ If I may.

Matyag side by side Fridge Freezer, just had a new compressor fitted 2 weeks ago as the old one was causing the consumer unit (fusebox) to trip.

This morning came down to a mahoosive puddle infront of freezer section. Freezer has totally defrosted - Lights come on when open door and the fan appears to still be blowing - just that it's blowing cool air not cold.
The fridge is similar - cool not cold.

Phoned the company up who fitted the compressor and they have said they won't even come out to look at it as (in their opinion) the whole unit is irrepairable(sic) and that's the end of it!

Now - Is he talking bollox? It's covered by an extended warranty / insurance but my concern is the insurance co will say it's worth practically nowt now (cost £3.5K) 10 years ago. We have had a bespoke cupboard built around it and it's gonna be a ballache to get another to fit the gap

I've pushed the settings to MAX cold for both freezer and fridge to see if there's an improvement but the last can of beer I took out was decidedly luke warm - and we can't have that can we!!!

Any advise would be most welcome...
Old 03 December 2009, 09:11 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Not a qualified enginear mate but id look into having it regassed. Mine did the same and it was where they hadnt tightened some thng or other. If it is that ask for a report when getting it fixed and bill the orignal company
Old 03 December 2009, 09:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

If a company has worked on it recently then I'd make damn sure they at least made one visit to check what they did was still working fine. If it is, then and only then could they tell you the rest is up to you.
Old 03 December 2009, 10:33 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

as Spoon says the company that worked on it 2 weeks ago shud really come back to check that the work they did is OK. From your description it sounds as if there may be a 'leak' (it has lost is 'gas')
As for your insurance - you shud check the policy wording (some are 'replacement', others are 'depreciation' - with the first, you get a new item, with the second, they knock an amount off for how old the item is....... )

alan
Old 03 December 2009, 11:18 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it's 10yrs old....

Did they change the thermostat as well?? If not then the thermostat may be knackered. Fridge and Freezer thermostats switch themselves on and off to regulate temperature. It may well be that it's gone off and stuck off.

Turn the thermostat down to 1 and leave the fridge off for a couple of hours. Before switching back on make sure you turn the thermostat right up. Hopefully when you switch it on the fan and everything will be going and the fridge will start to chill again and you notice the fridge getting cold within a couple of mins. However when it's got to temp the thermostat will switch off. You get back to the fridge the following morning and it's stopped chilling it's a thermostat issue.
Old 09 December 2009, 10:50 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up Bonus

Well I have to say I am taken aback by the response from Maytag.

It was a £3.5K unit 9 years ago.
Depreciation has to have reduced the value somewhat but as we had paid the extended warranty we got the following offer.

Buy Amana Definition 228FIRS Side by Side Fridge Freezer, Stainless Steel online at JohnLewis.com

This unit at a considerable discount plus 5 years warranty covering parts and labour (excludes lightbulbs / filters obviously)

And I have punted the old unit up on ebay for engineers to pick over, It's got a brand new control panel / compressor / ice box

It's on with no reserve and 99p start

If anyone here is in the business - let me know - It'll either get sold in 5 days or taken away by Maytag.

Flea bay item # 160385865476