Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog questions

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2009, 08:36 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog questions

I have a terroir at the moment, a bitch, she is about 4 years old. I have toyed with the thought of getting another dog, but my main concerns are, how would my current dog, ruby, react?

I wasn't thinking of getting a dog but i saw a puppy labroador huskie cross and i've fallen for it I was just wondering what peoples opinions would be? My dog is usually ok with other dogs, sometimes shes seen dogs she doesn't like, but its a whole different concept when bringing another dog into her home..

Has anybody brought another dog into their home with already having a dog for a while before hand?

Any advice appreciated
Old 06 December 2009, 09:51 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i had a jackx for 3 years and she is golden, but thought she could do with a friend so got another jack, she was a bit wary at first, but soon adopted him, and love each other now, and play all day, the best thing for you to do is have a go, IF you think its the right dog to bring home to your current dog give it a go on the agreement with the breeder that they will have the puppy back if yours does not get on with it.
Old 06 December 2009, 10:07 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Is the pup male or female?, can make a big difference. At our kennels we encouraged people to bring their dogs to meet new ones on neutral territory so that the 1st dog didn't feel defensive. Maybe take them on a nice walk, positive association can bring out a better reaction too. don't rush it though and if it isn't to be well better luck next time. if it is? fantastic all round.
Old 06 December 2009, 11:35 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I don't think i have the heart to bring a dog home then take it back to the breeder lol. I think I'll just have to introduce my dog to some others and see how she gets on. i think I'm gonna get my mate to bring his German Sheppard round mine and see what happens lol.
Old 06 December 2009, 11:39 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Oh, and the pup is a male, I have heard that a second dog of the opposite sex is always the better choice.

Another thought, my dog hasn't had herself...ahem...fixed(sorry, horrible way to put it but i cannot remember what the procedure is called ) . Would getting this done help as she wont be so territorial ?
Old 06 December 2009, 11:56 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

French breeds do tend to be a bit more highly strung and unsociable although an adult dog of any nationality should be ok with a puppy. Just keep a responsible watchful eye on Ruby for a while. You'll probably know whether things will be ok within a couple of days.
Old 07 December 2009, 04:34 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

I think the spaying would work better as far as another female is concerned, your female will be ok as long as the male accepts her position over his, the problem might arise though as the male gets to a teenager and start getting randy and more dominant, this can show in some breeds more than others. If you do go for a crossbreed try to find one that has similar characteristics in both sides, eg, my last dog was a Staffy/Jack Russell cross so very similar ways and no unpredictability. Also, if your female isn't already spayed you could end up with your own little pack.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 07 December 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2009, 04:39 PM
jammer1984
Scooby Regular

its very rare to have a problem when introducing a pup

the problems arise when you bring in an older dog as they then have to sort out between them which is the "pack leader". With a pup it will assume its position lower in rank and look at the older dog as a leader
Old 07 December 2009, 06:29 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

My female hasn't been sprayed but I can't imagine a labroador huskie cross mating with a terrior lol.
Old 07 December 2009, 06:31 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Sprayed!!
Old 07 December 2009, 06:38 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Where there's a will there's a way.