Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2009, 12:12 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Health & Bloody Safety

Got home tonight to find our black bin with a note on it
"Not Emptied as too Heavy"

It only had normal household waste and I could move it around without too much difficulty.

Seems the H&S excuse can be used when people don't fancy doing their job properly.

They're coming back tomorrow, but no doubt will leave everything I need to take out of the bin to make it lighter behind.

If my bin is too heavy, maybe they can't cope with the weight of my council tax cheque and I should lighten the load for them

Anyone else had this pathetic excuse?

Last edited by michaelro; 10 December 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10 December 2009, 12:13 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Just put it in a neighbour's bin, like some ****** did around here
Old 10 December 2009, 12:31 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelro

It only had normal household waste and I could move it around without too much difficulty.

Seems the H&S excuse can be used when people don't fancy doing their job properly.

They're coming back tomorrow, but no doubt will leave everything I need to take out of the bin to make it lighter behind.

If my bin is too heavy, maybe they can't cope with the weight of my council tax check and I should lighten the load for them

Did they weigh it?

I wonder if obese peoples bins are lighter
Old 10 December 2009, 12:57 AM
Lisawrx

If my bin is too heavy, maybe they can't cope with the weight of my council tax check and I should lighten the load for them

I don't really understand.

Is your black bin a wheelie bin? Is it left on the street? If so, I can't really see the issue they had tbh.

I remember the days when we had just one bin, it had to be physically carried from the back garden and loaded onto the bin wagon, and it was never an issue.

Also, we have a full sized garden waste bin, when full, it's way heavier than our normal one, and we have never had such a note slapped on.

Maybe the garden waste blokes are more like blokes than the normal waste ones.
Old 10 December 2009, 09:15 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I don't really understand.

Is your black bin a wheelie bin? Is it left on the street? If so, I can't really see the issue they had tbh.

I remember the days when we had just one bin, it had to be physically carried from the back garden and loaded onto the bin wagon, and it was never an issue.

Also, we have a full sized garden waste bin, when full, it's way heavier than our normal one, and we have never had such a note slapped on.

Maybe the garden waste blokes are more like blokes than the normal waste ones.
After looking on the internet, other councils have done the same thing citing either the two finger rule (if they can't pull the bin with two fingers they leave it) or it being too heavy for the machine to lift

Wouldn't be a problem if they collected every week like they used to....
Old 10 December 2009, 10:39 AM
Lisawrx

After looking on the internet, other councils have done the same thing citing either the two finger rule (if they can't pull the bin with two fingers they leave it) or it being too heavy for the machine to lift

Wouldn't be a problem if they collected every week like they used to....
That is madness. I'm sure the machine could cope with a fairly heavy bin.

As for the two finger rule, well if I can manage to safely get my bin from where it is kept, all the way up the steps and onto the street for them to collect, then it's a bloody cheek at the very least if they 'can't' manage to get it to/onto the wagon.

Jeez, it's not even like they have to physically lift and tip it themselves anymore.
Old 10 December 2009, 10:46 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I know it's getting near Christmas as one of our binmen said good morning to me the other day.

Our binmen won't take the bins away even if the lid is up by a weeeeee bit, lazy ballixes !!!!!

windyboy

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2009, 10:56 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

My bin men are not very clever
Old 10 December 2009, 11:08 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

And who have we got to blame for this 2 finger rule ???

Yup you guessed it!

Pathetic rule if you ask me. Rubbish collection has just got worse and worse over the years.
Old 10 December 2009, 11:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Empty it on the Council's steps!

Les
Old 10 December 2009, 12:41 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Empty it on the Council's steps!

Les
Who are you and what have you done with the real Leslie
Old 11 December 2009, 03:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Who are you and what have you done with the real Leslie
Don't know why you said that!

Les
Old 11 December 2009, 04:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Leave a similar note for their Christmas tip
Old 11 December 2009, 04:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Don't know why you said that!

Les
I think the rest of us do though

Chip
Old 11 December 2009, 04:36 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
I know it's getting near Christmas as one of our binmen said good morning to me the other day.

Our binmen won't take the bins away even if the lid is up by a weeeeee bit, lazy ballixes !!!!!

windyboy

That's an official rule where my sister lives. bi-weekly pickup and you can't have more rubbish than fits in the bin with the lid shut. Ridiculous.

I currently don't have a bin because some ******* nicked it nearly 2 months ago now and the council haven't delivered our new one. Week one, we tried putting out the otherwise identical green (garden waste) bin with a large note attached, which they wouldn't take (although they did come back later and empty it after we complained). They told us we needed to put out our rubbish in black bags. Now, I know they stated "black bags" but we assumed they meant proper bin bags rather than being colour specific. However, when they failed to pick up our rubbish that was in white bin bags, we quickly realised our mistake

Garbage
Old 11 December 2009, 06:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I once came home to find that my bin, although apparently emptied, was still 3/4 full. They hadn't banged it hard enough and two weeks' rubbish didn't fall out.

I rang the council, who started to tell me that they would empty it next time and that I would have to ensure that the rubbish in it was loose enough to fall out unaided.

I pointed out to the daft biatch that if I had to cram another two weeks rubbish into it, it was likely to be even more tightly packed, and was told that it was MY problem.

I told her I wanted it emptied the next day, and that if it wasn't, I would come and tip it on the council offices foyer, inside.

She said I would be fined for fly-tipping, and I reponded that I didn't care, and nor would the BBC, ITV, local papers and the Redtops who I would invite along to see me do it.

My bin got emptied the next day
Old 11 December 2009, 08:46 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

A lazy git up the road used to leave his empty bin on the corner near my house and drop his rubbish in as he passed we struggled to get the cars round the corner so we used to fill it with ruble and general garage waste every week without fail engine oil make a mess of the insides of a bin
At times you really couldn't move it without a struggle and the lid was usually wide open but they emptied it and he got the idea after a few weeks without a bin and remembered to take it home
Old 11 December 2009, 09:06 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Phoned up to complain and was getting nowhere until I mentioned I had 2 kids under 2 years old and couldn't help that my bin was heavy (you can imagine what with).

According to them I might be eligible for a second smaller bin - Going to be sent an application form or something...

I asked if they decided it was too heavy just by looking at it (probably one of the reasons I was almost given the brush off ) and was told they have scales on the truck and anything over 25kg won't be taken.
Old 11 December 2009, 09:23 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sarasquares
My bin men are not very clever
rubbish
Old 12 December 2009, 07:59 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I once came home to find that my bin, although apparently emptied, was still 3/4 full. They hadn't banged it hard enough and two weeks' rubbish didn't fall out.

I rang the council, who started to tell me that they would empty it next time and that I would have to ensure that the rubbish in it was loose enough to fall out unaided.

I pointed out to the daft biatch that if I had to cram another two weeks rubbish into it, it was likely to be even more tightly packed, and was told that it was MY problem.

I told her I wanted it emptied the next day, and that if it wasn't, I would come and tip it on the council offices foyer, inside.

She said I would be fined for fly-tipping, and I reponded that I didn't care, and nor would the BBC, ITV, local papers and the Redtops who I would invite along to see me do it.

My bin got emptied the next day
Ah you've had experiences of the local council too then

Fuggin' useless Jeff and I for one would have loved an invite - may still happen
Old 12 December 2009, 10:59 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I asked if they decided it was too heavy just by looking at it (probably one of the reasons I was almost given the brush off ) and was told they have scales on the truck and anything over 25kg won't be taken.
So they take it to the truck, weigh it, then take it back unemptied if it weighs more than a bag of cement?

Councils
Old 12 December 2009, 01:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I think the rest of us do though

Chip
Perhap's you would like to explain then.

Les
Old 12 December 2009, 04:32 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Leave a similar note for their Christmas tip

I have the perfect way to get a really heavy over full rubrish bin emptied.....stick a note on the lid and tell them their Christmas tip is at the bottom of the bin
Old 12 December 2009, 05:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Our bin men are pretty ****e at times then awesome at other times. Like everyone else they have good and bad days I suppose when they just can't be ****ed.

Or Postie on the other hand is an absolute Legend. Just a straight down the line nice man!
Old 12 December 2009, 06:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Our bin men are pretty ****e at times then awesome at other times. Like everyone else they have good and bad days I suppose when they just can't be ****ed.

Or Postie on the other hand is an absolute Legend. Just a straight down the line nice man!

My postie is a great bloke. One of my chihuahuas always bites the back of his trousers so he has to pick her up then she lets him go in one piece
Old 12 December 2009, 08:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I was delayed getting out this morning by a refuse truck that decided to just double-park across everybodies driveways.

They were doing a "special collection" run, and a neighbour had chucked out what must have been a 36" CRT television and a wooden framed bed.

Both items were tossed into the back of the waggon, and the "environmental refuse operative" then pressed buttons to crush the latest additions into the back.

Yup, i can confirm that big CRTs do indeed go bang when you pop that big glass vacuum tube!

But more importantly, why are people who are paid and trained in refuse collection just treating everything as if it is for land-fill??

Whatever happened to the WeeWee directive (or whatever the EU regulations are) for electrical equipment? And why is wood (i.e. lots of "carbons") being sent for burial as well?

If you "break the rules", they come down on you like a ton of bricks - whereas if they mess up, what the heck!

mb
Old 12 December 2009, 09:41 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

If they don't collect my rubbish then i just chuck it all over the road the next day and say the damn foxes got it.
Old 13 December 2009, 12:16 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I had my 'green bin' (garden waste) refused as my mate (the silly ****) had thrown a *** end in with the grass and other ex plant life in.

I have also had a letter because we are not re-cycling correctly! That is because some ****** had robbed my 'plastics and cardboards' bag. Either that or the fecking thing has blown away! Again!!! It doesn't take much.

The bin men around here are a pain in the ****!
Old 13 December 2009, 12:24 AM
Lisawrx

We had a note put on our normal bin a while back about making sure your recyclable waste goes in the correct bin.

I actually wouldn't mind separating the stuff, if we were given a 'real' recycling bin. What we have is basically a black storage box, that only gets collected once a fortnight. You can't add bags at the side of it either.

Quick Reply: Health & Bloody Safety