Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cuba your views for a holiday

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2009, 09:11 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuba your views for a holiday

We are looking to go away for a week in April / may and we want to go somewhere not to expensive and warm. Both Cuba and the Domincain Republic are around the £600 all inclusive. What i have heard and read i like the sounds of Cuba its sounds unique and i think it might be worth a visit before the yanks invade with kfc etc.

My sister did go five years ago and had a really bad time her bag got stolen and they found getting help really hard. Her hotel was also rubbish this has put me off until now but this could happy any were you go.

She also struggled with the food. I am thinking if we stay in a nice hotel hopefully the food will not be a problem.

just are your views

Thanks
Old 27 December 2009, 09:42 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think Havanah is a better place to stay. When I lived in the cayman islands, Cuba was the main place for people to go for weekend trips. It was mainly a lads holiday but the place is really nice and cheap. I considering heading there in the summer for a week. You have to remember this is still an undevelloped country so if the food is to your dislike in the hotel just go out to a restaurant as it won't be much.
Old 27 December 2009, 09:55 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Nah - Havana is ok for a one night visit. Book yourself into one of the hotels in Varadero. Much more likely to have a decent hotel there. I have been to both Varadero and Havana - Haven't got the names to hand but I think the Varadero hotel was Riu Turquese (Excellent hotel)
Old 27 December 2009, 11:28 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

I've booked 2 weeks in Varadero in the Summer.

Everyone I've spoke to has siad Varadero, as well as Cuba, is a brilliant destination for a Holiday. I'm really looking forward to it!

PS - The Yanks will never invade as the Cubans HATE the Yanks! The Yanks are turned away from the island apparently!
Old 27 December 2009, 12:20 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

don't lose your passport!

My holiday in a Cuban jail - The Globe and Mail
Old 27 December 2009, 02:45 PM
RSLEG1
Scooby Regular

Try this hotel mate.

Went there last year and would fully recommend it
It's a bit over the budget you've given but try different dates or whatever.
Beautiful resort, fully secure and lots of restaurants to choose from.
The pics and online reviews should back me up.

HTH

Last edited by RSLEG1; 27 December 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 03:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
That was originally posted in March 2001, but the same possibly holds true today, however, this was pre 9/11, and thus security won't have been as tight as it is now, and yes, I know he was flying out from Montreal rather than the US, where it'd be ultra-paranoid, as per usual.

My point being that with all the post 9/11 security measures, you'd be asked to show your passport at the check in desk, and the security checkpoint, and quite probably at the gate. I think Cuba is seen as an international flight from Canada, and thus just valid photo id, ie non-passport id, just won't cut it. Also, at present, certainly from Canada visa is also required. The Tourist Visa/Card is provided onboard the aircraft, and I'd suspect it probably asks for your passport number (the application form on their website certainly requires this), if it's anything like the I-94 you fill in when you fly into the US.

Thus there are multiple points prior to getting onto the plane where you are asked for your passport, and in this chaps case, in the here and now, you'd probably not be able to board the plane without showing the passport, thus you'd possibly not get into this situation. If you did get onto the plane, then when filling out the form for the visa you'd have a "oh crap" moment, at which point things might be better than having to exit the plane.

One could be cruel and say that the moral of the story is that you should check, double-check, and triple-check you have your passport on you at all times. Yes, the treatment was harsh, but whose to say that the chap wasn't just someone trying to enter Cuba illegally. Shame the UK doesn't do something similar when the illegals try to get in

Last edited by Markus; 27 December 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 28 December 2009, 01:18 AM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about Tunisia as it is pretty warm and cheap, i went there last summer and i was looking at Cuba (which my friend has been 3 times in as many years and loves it) and Dom Rep. He also goes for 2 weeks at a time and swears by the scooba diving and food there. I chose Tunisia after it kept popping up in the search, i looked on a few forums and did a bit of research about it and was swayed in the end by what i read and a big plus point for me was the shortish flight of only 3 hrs. The weather was perfect for the whole week with only clouds appearing for 2 out the 7 days we were there, and it was 35-40 degrees everyday. The food was excellent and the locals and staff were very friendly and for a good tip (£2 ish a day) looked after you the whole holiday and were very greatful and would do anything to make you comfortable. Plenty of things to see and do including were some of starwars was filmed and also the 3rd largest colluseum in the world where you can go in any part you want as there were no restrictions plus all the old markets, and the next city along was pretty modern with lots of bars and restaurants. Our hotel was brilliant and we went all inclusive at £504 PP. Port El Kantoui was the resort and it wasn't til we got back that people had heard or known someone that had been and only heard good things.

HTH

Aaron
Old 28 December 2009, 09:13 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

rsleg What was the name of that hotel. The link is not working.

Thanks
Old 28 December 2009, 09:55 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

A mate of mine went a few years ago i am not sure what part but he has never been the same since he got back.
Old 28 December 2009, 04:28 PM
RSLEG1
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate....
Try this instead.