Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I'm a Best Man next week....need some gags!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 07:54 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

My younger bruv is getting hitched next Friday, I'm his best man so I gotta start thinking about a speech pdq

Anyone got any good gags I can use, nothing outrageous must be clean as some old'uns will be there

Or any web sites with some pointers would be good.

Cheers

John
Old 20 March 2002, 08:33 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Scarry stuff

I was best man to my best mate (now divorced but remarried with my godson )

Best advice on speach - no idea

I didn't even have a beer before the speach and went to peices at the end - so my advice is have a couple (don't go ott) it may help you relax if thats your thing.

David
Old 20 March 2002, 08:41 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Shark
This don't sound right
QUOTE :- I was best man to my best mate (now divorced but remarried with my godson)
Sounds a bit Gay???????? No offence and it may be me being thick or it may be as it sounds

No offence to Gays.... you have to be open minded about these things. Each to there own...........

[Edited by PeterUK300 - 3/20/2002 8:44:31 PM]
Old 20 March 2002, 08:48 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mega
Have a look in the muppets. There was some men and women jokes in there. I think posted by my better half JoanUK300 and others.
There was also the why do women get married in white gags. At least the guys will laugh. The Domestic Appliences (I mean woman) will linch you

Good Luck
Old 20 March 2002, 08:53 PM
Green Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Try www.hitched.co.uk and good luck m8.

Leigh
Old 20 March 2002, 08:55 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Why are women's wedding dresses are almost always in white?

Because all kitchen appliances comes in white
Have fun..
Old 20 March 2002, 08:57 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL thanks Pete, you mean like the "why have women got small feet?"
Yeah lets just stay well away from those shall we... His wife to be is a teacher, and we all know how scarey teachers are

Could try a few knock knock, who's there ones
I can see some tomatoes and stuff being hurled at me

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2002, 08:58 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Ahh I didn't want this to become a sexist-sid post
It'll be banished to the murky murkisms of Muppetville

Old 20 March 2002, 10:51 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

Talking

get a load of keys give them out to the men ,dureing you speech put a tub on the table and say that now the bride is geting hitched she would like all her keys back (ruf count then say ther is one missing then take your one out of you poc ) should get a laf) you should be able to borrow some blank keys from your loacal locksmiths longs you take them back now
if you go with this mail me tell me how it went
best of luck

garry
Old 20 March 2002, 11:13 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Unless you are a budding Les Dawson I would give the gags a swerve. Nothing more embarassing than jokes told badly and falling flat.

For the funny bits I would concentrate on some funny experiences you have shared with him, maybe stupid/embarassing things he has done etc (before of course telling them what a great guy he is)

If you are nervous of public speaking (and God knows I was) have a few drinks BUT DON'T GET PISHED

Cheers

Simon
Old 21 March 2002, 12:02 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have 3 pints of export strength lager to get the proper balance netween confidence and making a prat of yourself

i wrote my speech in my lunch hour after tralling a few sites and thinking about all the embarrasing thins that had happened in the past.

anyhow here are some of the gags i used...

go for the age old classics like:

"i can't talk for too long on account of my throat - *brides name* says she will cut it if i prattle on"

"the bride and groom would like to thank the guests for the presents *grooms name* would particularly like to thank *brides parents* for the perky copulator"

- classic actually inadvertantly said by my cousin on his big day -

"i would like to spank the bridesmaids"

"i am proud to be *grooms* best man, although i am a little nervous about doing this speech, but i am getitng used to this format - this isn't the first time today that i have stood up from a warm seat with a sheet of paper in my hand"

if the groom is a dab hand at DIY then this is excellent:

"*groom* is a bit of an expert at DIY - but he will have to stop that now he's married" - and watch it drift harmlessly over the old peoples heads

"*groom* has won his lives lottery by meeting *bride* , *bride* the lads have clubbed together and we have bought you a ticket in the hope that you win yours" (goes down well if you produce ticket for next draw )

"*bride* i would like to say that you look stunning, and *groom* you look like third prize in a rafle"

don't go on for more than a few mins and whilst your stood there take the opportunity to look down brides maids cleavage

Old 21 March 2002, 07:14 AM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Talking

"perky copulator" LOL
Old 21 March 2002, 08:28 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Might be a little offensive
Why do married men put on weight? Because they used to come in, take a look at what's in the fridge and then go to bed. Now they take a look at what's in the bed, and then go straight to the fridge.
Old 21 March 2002, 08:30 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

How do most men define marriage? An expensive way to get laundry done for free.
Old 21 March 2002, 09:22 AM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

John - all the best mate, when I got married 18 months ago my best mate was twice as nervous as me ... mainly in anticipation of delivering his speech

Anyway, the day before we decided to vett his speech and try and 'loosen' up the crowd!! His opening line, which down an absolute treat, was something along the lines of ....

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Firstly, you must excuse me as I am not accustomed to public speaking but I've taken on board the advice of Phil's father who told me to think of it in the same light as being on a nudist beach ... at first you start of a little stiff but you soon loosen up!!"

When down well, with me anyway

Good luck!!

Cheers
Phil
Old 21 March 2002, 10:06 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Talking

ROTFL @ some of these so far

I'm getting married in August and have been winding my best man up a treat about it. Having read some of these I think I'll maybe ease off a bit!
Old 21 March 2002, 10:17 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

One for the bride.....
Q. Why are married women heavier than single women?
A. Single women come home, see what's in the fridge and go to bed. Married women come home, see what's in the bed and go to the fridge.

Joan.
Old 21 March 2002, 11:00 AM
Lozza
Scooby Regular

When you are doing your speech ask the groom to put his hand over his new brides, then tell him that this is the last time he will ever get the upper hand!! Its funnier when you say it honest..:-)
Old 21 March 2002, 11:12 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Best bet is to get well drunk.Dont forget to give the brides mother a quickie..
Old 21 March 2002, 11:16 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was best man a couple of years ago and one bit of my speech that really went down well was a load of cue cards that "just fell out of my pocket with the speech"

I explained that they were for if the groom got stuck in the church, as I held up cards saying "I WILL" and the brides name. I then had two outlines of hands, one with the ring finger extended to indicate which one the ring went on and one with the middle finger which was for anyone cutting up the wedding car.

All the best with the speech - and like everyone says, have a drink to calm your nerves but not so much that you slur the speech and fall over
Old 21 March 2002, 12:13 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

http://www.confetti.co.uk/weddings/a...man_speech.asp

Didn't have much time to read it - boss is in!! Think it might have some useful stuff, and I know theres a link to some good wedding jokes on there somewhere...

Good luck! It's a useful site - I'm getting married in June and I've used it loads...although we're having a BBQ, Quiz and Silver Scoob's as the wedding cars Not exactly traditional, but should be excellent

Jen
Old 21 March 2002, 08:50 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

When we got back to the Hotel after the reception, I threw my trousers at my new wife, and said "put them on because its the last time you will wear them" she threw her nickers at me and said "if your attitude dosnt change you wont be getting in these either"
Old 21 March 2002, 09:47 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Some excellent ones Thanks all

I think the key one is tops at the moment

Old 22 March 2002, 12:42 PM
apjames
Scooby Regular

You can start of by saying you are using suggested methods to keep yourself from being nervous - and one suggested to you was imagining all the guest naked.

run your eyes over all the people in the room - and focus on the brides mum - with a glint in your eye, do a 'joey from friends style' "hello *brides mum*" etc.

Old 22 March 2002, 01:46 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

The most boring bit of your speech is the reading of the telegrams, so through a few joke ones in

To *bride and groom* apologies for not being present on your very special occasion, best wishes, Lord Archer

to a couple who I have seen on many, many occasions over the past 20 years, unfortunately cannot be here today, but will no doubt see you tomorrow. best wishes, Ronald McDonald

Justin
Old 22 March 2002, 06:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If you are doing telegrams you can always mention the one from an old Auntie who has lived overseas for years and very much regrets that she cannot attend. However she would like to be sent a framed picture of the happy couple - fully mounted of course!

If you have old Aunties etc present you could also say that you understand that a couple of older relatives from the local naturist society are present and you think they are somewhere at the back of the congregation. You can't quite make out what they are wearing but whatever it is it needs ironing......

Good luck. You can't beat a bit of practice and a few cue cards. Oh and don't forget to smile -))) David
Old 22 March 2002, 09:11 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"i prepared some lines earlier ,ive done them now and feel a lot better"
have a gr8 day

[Edited by care3 - 3/22/2002 9:13:57 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 10:15 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

"They say marriage is a wonderful institution. Who the hell wants to live in an institution?"

On the telegrams: Read out a telegram supposedly from the boys at the pub footie team, the message saying "Good luck to the happy couple. *Groom* was useless in all positions, so here's hoping that *bride* has better luck."

Another telegram: "Dear *Bride* and *Groom*. Good luck on your wedding day. Unable to come to the reception, as I had planned to rent a video and stay in for the night. Thought about getting Aladdin, but decided just to watch a film instead. Love Jonathan King."

Generally though, have a couple of drinks but not a skinful, keep it clean if the family are there (what makes your mated laugh does not always make Granny do the same), keep it simple but entertaining for all. Remember that your audience will be sympathetic and on your side, and that if done well, EVERYONE will buy you a pint once it's all over.
Old 23 March 2002, 01:49 PM
Justin S
Scooby Regular

www.thebestman.com Have Fun
Cheers
Justin