Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone sold thier own house?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 08:59 PM
SIBBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone sold thier own house without using a estate agent?
Was it a lot of grief or did your solicitor deal with most of it, as I have used estate agents in the past and thay seemed to take a lot of money for not a lot of work.

Cheers Tim
Old 20 March 2002, 10:05 PM
Steve Terzo
Scooby Regular

Hi,

My Dad has just sold a house privately, without any hassle at all.
As you mentioned, his solicitors took care of the conveyancing.

The only reason Estate agents are of any use, is for marketing your property (IMO).

Try advertising your property in a local paper to see what response you get.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 21 March 2002, 10:14 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Sibbo,

I second Steve on that. After working as an agent both in London and Oxford, I can say that the use of Estate Agents will stop at the marketing stage.

The conveyencing is a little tricky but if you get a good solicitor then he should deal with it ok.

Things to be aware of / difficulties !

It will take longer to get peolple through the door, however small linage adds work really well - PRICE TO SELL !

As you don't have to worry about the agencies fees, look to sell and not nes. make as much money as possible. There is a trade off with the timescale and price as always, and esp as you do not have the backing of a company behind you - It is better to go a little lower to get all the interest you can !

Look in all the local rags for comparison properties for price and use your head - if it presents really well there is a premium that you can caharge as peolple generally will only look skin deep !

You could also get a local agent round to give his opinion, market appraisals are free !

Be careful when showing the property as people if they feel are not dealing with a pro (!) will try to take advantage. Stick to your guns on price and know your stuff.

Try not to get emotional about the property, although it is your pride etc, other people have many different opinions. If you have ideas to improve but cannot for whatever reason, then put those across.

BE HONEST - lastly, if you have terribble neighbours or you live on a busy rd, then please be honest - It is OK for agents to lie through their teeth, but then they don't have to suffer to consequences. You will have to deal with this person on a regular basis.

Hope that helps a little, drop me a mail if you need any more help. I am no longer in the industry so do no mind giving up all the secrets ( Hmmm ! )

Regards,

Paul

Old 21 March 2002, 12:37 PM
SIBBO
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul I will mail you soon
Old 22 March 2002, 05:16 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Bought my last flat without an estate agent. Was looking at the flat below his and got collared when sat in the car afterwards by the owner. He hadn't yet confirmed with an agent and saw me looking at the flat below.

Saved me several grand
Joolz