Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone have a new Nokia N900 Yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2010, 08:53 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a new Nokia N900 Yet ??

As above i'm about to order one and just wondered if anyone has had any experience with it yet ?

thanks.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:59 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard its good
Old 26 January 2010, 09:04 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Uses a Linux O/S instead of the Symbian one. A lot of reviews out all giving it the thumbs up. A lot better than the N97
Old 26 January 2010, 09:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

It now comes with free satnav.

unlike the flagship N97, which hasnt got enough ram to cope

Mart
Old 26 January 2010, 09:13 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

would love one but not prepared to pay the stupid money per month they are asking....
Old 26 January 2010, 09:18 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a mate at voda - 18 month for £35pm. Free phone

I want one now!! Trying to get something out of o2. Spoke to someone at Carphone Warehouse who is trying to find out when (if) it's coming.

There's quite a few bugs with it still.. but there was when i first got my n95 on launch day. I've had it since May 2007 and it;s the best phone i've had, once a few software updates were released.

I'm a real phone geek.. i'm sure there's going to be issues with it initially that the normal consumer would not accept, hence the reason o2 never stocked the n97... but i'll still get one asap.
Old 26 January 2010, 09:28 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi

I want one now!! Trying to get something out of o2. Spoke to someone at Carphone Warehouse who is trying to find out when (if) it's coming.

There's quite a few bugs with it still.. but there was when i first got my n95 on launch day. I've had it since May 2007 and it;s the best phone i've had, once a few software updates were released.

I'm a real phone geek.. i'm sure there's going to be issues with it initially that the normal consumer would not accept, hence the reason o2 never stocked the n97... but i'll still get one asap.
I think the problem with O2 and the N97 is a software thing.... Is it Skype or something like that and O2 don't work with it/them. I'm sure someone who knows what the **** they are talking about will be along shortly N900 might have the same O2 problem.

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2010, 09:33 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
I think the problem with O2 and the N97 is a software thing.... Is it Skype or something like that and O2 don't work with it/them. I'm sure someone who knows what the **** they are talking about will be along shortly N900 might have the same O2 problem.
Well Skype takes revenue from the mobile companies. But Voda has released the N900 completely un-branded, and skype can be used.

I think (hope) Carphone Warehouse can sell it on o2, once vodafone's exclusivity deal runs out in a few weeks. Just waiting for confimation.
Old 26 January 2010, 09:34 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

This place is where the info is at :
Nokia N900 - maemo.org - Talk
Old 26 January 2010, 10:20 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi

i've been offered the £35 per month tarrif which seems like quite a good deal to me, vodafone say it will be with them in the next 10 days.
Old 26 January 2010, 10:36 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Been checking it out myself as it goes .... was trying to decide whether to wait for the next gen iphone before making a decision but that's rumoured to be a bit naff. Only other ones to look at would be the new coming htc's but the linux o/s on the n900 is a real seller for me.

Nokia stated that it was intended as a niche market phone targetted at developers / techs etc but all the reviews so far show it to do a better job than the n97. Combined with the n97's fairly dismal in-field failure rate I wouldn't be surprised if the n900 actually takes it's place as a flagship model. Plus the linux o/s is built on a Debian core so I'm thinking there's likely to be a fairly respectable number of apps developed for it pretty quickly.
Old 29 March 2010, 02:30 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

just to bump this up.. ive got an iphone and due to get a n900 in the next few days

was just wondering if it saves the previous sms history or conversation with the same person like the iphone does? as i use that a lot and will be disapointed if it doesnt.

can anyone confirm?

cheers
Old 29 March 2010, 02:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eggy790
just to bump this up.. ive got an iphone and due to get a n900 in the next few days

was just wondering if it saves the previous sms history or conversation with the same person like the iphone does? as i use that a lot and will be disapointed if it doesnt.

can anyone confirm?

cheers
Messaging SMS (threaded view), Email, Push Email, IM
So yes
Old 29 March 2010, 02:57 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

look at the tags at the bottom of this thread
Old 29 March 2010, 07:59 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

i've got one and I love it.

I've done the iphoney thing and compare to the the N900 the iphone is a pail imitation.

I know people will say the iphone has app this and feature that, well so has the N900 and because its open source there are more and more apps being written and all the ones i've tried on mine have been free.

Surfing is a dream and even facebook flash games work. it also has skype built in and this allows you to store skype contacts in your phonebook.

battery life can be a bit crap, but i dont think its as bad as the iphone, with heavy use I can still manage a day out of the battery and pretty soon nokia will be releasing a heavy duty battery but this will make it a bit heavier and thicker.