Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile speed camera sites help

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2010, 09:29 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile speed camera sites help

As i was driving to work this morning, i was driving up a road which at the top of the hill has a gate to the left.

A man wearing a high visability jacket was standing by the gate with what looked like a surveying camera. I saw him and paniced a bit as i thought it may have been a mobile speed camera bloke, checked my speedo but diddnt really look as i was more concerned about finding out what this bloke was doing.

For the record i was driving in urban roads in the town in which i live, and can honestly say i am always careful of my speed around these areas.

The bloke then picked up the device he had and walked through the gate and as i drove past i saw a mercedes E class with another bloke with a high vis jacket on, digging for something in the boot. There was no indication on their clothing or car that they were police. There was also no signs anywhere on my route, and i was always under the impression that mobile speed camera sites had to be advertised. Hence why i thought it was site surveyers.

What are the legalities on mobile speed enforcement? What are the rules on having warning that they will be in enforcement in a given area. And is there such websites where you can see up to date information of where they will be operating?

Just if you are wondering the only reason i am so concerned is, i know i always stick to the limits, but even my mum who is the SLOWEST driver there is on the road got a speeding ticket for about 34 mph, and i'm really not up for a sting such as that.

Lesson be learnt of being more cautious of my already cautious speed, but if they try and give me a speeding fine i want to know how i can defend myself as there was no warning, which i believe is illegal?
Old 13 February 2010, 10:04 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Mobile sites dont need to have signs, however for a ticket to be enforced it must be an officer using the device or someone under the instruction of an officer.
Chances are it was community speed watch, From what I know this program allows members of the community to monitor speed, if its deemed to be a problem then an enforcement team will attend.

If there was no police presence 99% it was speed watch.
Old 13 February 2010, 10:20 AM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
Mobile sites dont need to have signs, however for a ticket to be enforced it must be an officer using the device or someone under the instruction of an officer.
Chances are it was community speed watch, From what I know this program allows members of the community to monitor speed, if its deemed to be a problem then an enforcement team will attend.

If there was no police presence 99% it was speed watch.
how then does that work tim? do the community members provide some sort of evidence to the local council who in turn put up a fixed speed camera or send out mobile cameras frequently to that position? do these people need to "collar" a set amount of people breaking the limit in order to raise enough concern? intrested as there is a few roads near us that have mobile cameras in the same spot ( and everyone knows they are likely to come into view as you round the corner) whereas places they would be more useful they just are never there. cheers.
Old 13 February 2010, 10:22 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Dorset we have this lot
Dorset Safety Cameras by Dorset Safety Camera Partnership - Home who post up where mobile sites could be your county may do the same.
Old 13 February 2010, 10:24 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Its an initiative thats run between the community and local police. For a fixed camera I think it needs to be a blackspot but for a site to be evidenced as suitable for random speed traps then the community speed watch can help gather the required figures.

All it means is the local NSO will pop out one shift with a speed camera one day. It wont become a fixed point.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:53 AM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
Its an initiative thats run between the community and local police. For a fixed camera I think it needs to be a blackspot but for a site to be evidenced as suitable for random speed traps then the community speed watch can help gather the required figures.

All it means is the local NSO will pop out one shift with a speed camera one day. It wont become a fixed point.
cheers