Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HTC phones, which is the best one to get ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2010, 01:56 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HTC phones, which is the best one to get ?

Ive seen and heard of HTC phones but i`m not clued up with them, i`m thinking of changing to one for the bigger screen for web browsing.

Which is the best model to have as their seems a few variations, anything you need to look out for when buying one ? Any info you can give will be great especially about how good they are etc.
Old 13 February 2010, 02:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure you get one that's just released, that way you'll have the latest one for at least a week. I'd go for the Google Nexus, it's made by HTC but marketed and sold by Google. www.google.com/nexus
Old 13 February 2010, 02:57 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Google Nezus....AKA HTC bravo.

Best HTC yet, features google software called android, which is a lot better than apples boring software

Also has a 1Ghz Processor, which is better than iPhones 628 Mhz (Mhz...lol) processor.

If you Don't want android operating system then the latest Windows mobile HTC is the Touch HD2. Also a great phone with same 1Ghz processor (i think). But windows mobile is rubbish. Still orientated mostly for use with a stylus, not the more modern thumb operation .

Hope i am of help

Oh p.s, i have htc hero with android and its great
Old 13 February 2010, 03:20 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

ive got the hd2.using it to type now!.trust me a stylus is not needed.what attracted me to this phone was the screen size.makes browsing fantastic.windows mobile isnt that bad.although ive never used android to compare.
also its comfirmed that the hd2 will be upgradable to windows mobile 7 when it comes out.so future proof
Old 13 February 2010, 03:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Don't compare it to the iPhone's specs, you can have a ten litre engine in a Mini but the drive will still be rubbish.

And Mr Marc, your message is hardly an advert for the HD2, just look at the formatting of it!!
Old 13 February 2010, 03:58 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

forget htc and just get an iphone mate

wiley
Old 13 February 2010, 04:00 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Don't compare it to the iPhone's specs, you can have a ten litre engine in a Mini but the drive will still be rubbish.

And Mr Marc, your message is hardly an advert for the HD2, just look at the formatting of it!!
blimey...an apple fan boy by any chance? .
all hail the iphone

although your right about the rubbish formatting.was being lazy!

Last edited by mrmarc; 13 February 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: updating
Old 13 February 2010, 04:22 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

question for iphone users, why can't they put video calling on the iphone after all their rivals that they left behind managed it 3-4 years ago

I'd have been on the iphone bandwagon too had they managed to include this and lots of other things they've been adding since they released their first generation phone.

I'm thinking of getting an iphone soon as i'm really getting p**sed off with the texting on my HTC TD2, but other than that it's a really good phone and if it wasn't for the improvements in the 3GS i wouldn't have considered an iphone.

Aaron
Old 13 February 2010, 05:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Video calling, did I just land back in 1990?? Who on earth wants to do video calling on a telephone??

Am I a fan boy, well, if you cut me in half you'll find pips, but that's beside the point, saying that something is better because it has a bigger number is silly.
Old 13 February 2010, 05:57 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Video calling, did I just land back in 1990?? Who on earth wants to do video calling on a telephone??

Am I a fan boy, well, if you cut me in half you'll find pips, but that's beside the point, saying that something is better because it has a bigger number is silly.
erm lots of people i would imagine.

So apple couldn't reproduce technology that was available in 1990, they really are at the forefront of the mobile phone world. I will eat a hat if they do not add it to a later model.

just to add spirit levels were available long before 1990 and you can have them on the iphone oh and the ifart very useful

If the reason the iphone does't have video is because they think no one wants that then fair enough, was the reason they didn't have video messaging and video recording on the last iphone the same reason

If the iphone catered for every user then it would be the best phone out there, gimmicky apps don't make it the best not to say it isn't one of the best just not THE best like most iphone users will have you believe. I don't believe there is any phone you can call the best at the moment and probably never will be.

All said and done i will be trying the iphone next.
Old 13 February 2010, 06:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I rate my HTC Hero, but i have not compared with anything else, bar my old Nokia N93.

IIRC the android 2.1 update is due any day now for the Hero..

Last edited by StickyMicky; 13 February 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 13 February 2010, 06:20 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

yes iphone is cutting edge they marketed the last upgrade as NOW having cut and paste FFS
Old 13 February 2010, 06:52 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Also has a 1Ghz Processor, which is better than iPhones 628 Mhz (Mhz...lol) processor.
yes, everyday i am refering to my 628mhz processor NOT

The end user experience is what counts.
Old 13 February 2010, 07:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use an HTC touch pro 2 and its the best phone I have ever used for call quality. I put in a 16gig memory card and I now have loads of albums films and about 10 psone games running on it. It also does the internet excellent as well.
Old 13 February 2010, 07:20 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

speak to someone who has owned both.

iphone users are mostly blinkered.

i have owned iphone followed by bb storm followed by nexus one.

nexus one wins hands down.
Old 13 February 2010, 07:41 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

All have there benefits. I have a 3GS now, but seriously looked at a HD2 beforehand. I read review after review after review, and really did NOT want to buy an iPhone following the crowd, and the HD2 seemed ideal. Windows mobile is just 'rubbish' according to all the reviews for smartphone use. The interface on the HD2 hides windows mobile well, but underneath, thats just what it is. It may improve loads once WM7 comes out. Battery life was also described as poor on the HD2, but only experience would tell, depends on how much you use it and what for! In the end I followed the crowd and went 3GS, and don't regret it one bit. It has its downfalls yeah, like not being able to bluetooth files across (without jailbreak anyway!), flash compatability, camera not as good as my old N95, but I can put up with that for the awesome Safari browser and seamless interface! Shoot me down!!
Old 13 February 2010, 07:55 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

What about the Nokia offerings e.g N97 (slim) and the N9000?
Old 13 February 2010, 08:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Having just joined the sheep and got an aye phone I wish I had done that years ago. It makes everything I have had before look a bit disfunctional - last phone was n97 mini.

No video call on it means not having to say a menu "no" to 50p per min video calls a hundred times a week!

Def looking at the htc for the missus though. Better value.

D (who far prefers pcs to macs despite using both professionally)

Last edited by Diesel; 13 February 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 13 February 2010, 08:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mbc
speak to someone who has owned both.

iphone users are mostly blinkered.

i have owned iphone followed by bb storm followed by nexus one.

nexus one wins hands down.

I have had a bb storm and I currently have an iphone as well. The iphone is the better toy due to all the apps but the HTC is the better phone and considering your after a phone Games for the iphone can be had for 59p but newer high res windows phones seem to be about £4 or more. Personally I think if your after the things the iphone can do just buy an ipod touch 32gig as they are not a lot money and can hold all the apps you want.
Old 13 February 2010, 09:30 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Nexus One if you're looking at the Android Systems (or if you can wait then the Bravo expected in March is worth a look.

HD2 if you want to stick with Windows.

I have a Nexus One and I can genuinely say its one of the best phones have had in a long time. A huge leap only equaled when I upgraded from a Nokia 7110 to a Sony Ericsson P800
Old 13 February 2010, 10:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

But it has no multitouch .....
Old 13 February 2010, 10:23 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
But it has no multitouch .....
The Nexus One does
Old 13 February 2010, 10:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Really?

It never the last time i looked, has it been updated already ?
Old 13 February 2010, 10:27 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Is Google's Nexus One phone any good? | Technology | The Guardian

8th paragraph down i think mate.

Aaron
Old 13 February 2010, 10:29 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Htc dream/G1 rooted
Htc Hero
Nexus one

Andy
Old 13 February 2010, 11:02 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I have a Touch HD, not the new one. It is great, but the battery life now after 9 months or so is quite bad, charge twice a day if you are using it. In a work orientated role it has been perfect, not as easy to use off the mark as an Iphone, but imo, Iphones are gadgets for the masses.
Old 14 February 2010, 11:55 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the feedback, its appreciated.

It seems the the Google Nexus One is the better phone but i`m not sure i would want to stretch that far at the min plus they don`t seem to be readily available in the UK just yet, ive seen a few on ebay but most seem to be US imports.

I may hang on to my Nokia 5800 for a while and see if the Nexus One becomes more freely available along with the price dropping a bit, the HTC phones seem great but for a bit more money the Nexus One seems the way to go, have i got that right ?
Old 14 February 2010, 12:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If you can't stretch to the iPhone then your right the Nexus one is your best bet. I know if I had to downgrade that would be my choice.
Old 14 February 2010, 06:20 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Thanks for all the feedback, its appreciated.

It seems the the Google Nexus One is the better phone but i`m not sure i would want to stretch that far at the min plus they don`t seem to be readily available in the UK just yet, ive seen a few on ebay but most seem to be US imports.

I may hang on to my Nokia 5800 for a while and see if the Nexus One becomes more freely available along with the price dropping a bit, the HTC phones seem great but for a bit more money the Nexus One seems the way to go, have i got that right ?

thing is that you pay either way, if you go on contract you get shafted especially on iphone/smartphone tarrifs, the nexus is £370-400 landed, try doing some adding up on sim only tarrifs with unlimited data, o2 and voda do them.

for example:

my phone £370 all in (inc vat)
o2 simplicity 600 mins 1200 texts with unlimited web bolt on £20 per month or £240 per year
thats £610 all in presuming i dont go over the mins or texts, bear in mind also on most tarrifs now they shaft you in for 18 months, not on simplicity its rolling 30 day contract

there has been some issues with 3g coverage etc but to be honest i have not noticed, my 3g signal at home and work has always been sh1te regardless of the phone.

btw this is a good forum for nexus one specifics Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum
Old 14 February 2010, 06:32 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Well since all the apple fanbos have jumped on the thread i'm going to say get a Blackberry Bold 9700, i'm not going to start talking about apps etc, google it and see i'm right!

Quick Reply: HTC phones, which is the best one to get ?