Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Falklands

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2010, 10:43 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Falklands

If it kicks off again,i wonder if the Yanks will back us up??????
Old 23 February 2010, 10:58 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Why don't we do what we did in Diego Garcia?
Repatriate all the locals (preferably not here) on some unfeasible pretext, to somewhere willing to take them on - I am pretty sure Argentina would be up for this.
Then give away the islands and split the oil revenues in a mutually compatible manner.
Let's face it, the last people on earth who will have any say in this matter will be the inhabitants.
Old 23 February 2010, 11:43 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They'd probably back us up as far as they did last time, about the same as they did in Suez
Old 24 February 2010, 12:30 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I doubt it.

I was reading Wiki the other day about the Falklands War and came across this..

An SAS reconnaissance team was dispatched to carry out preparations for a seaborne infiltration. A Westland Sea King helicopter carrying the assigned team took off from HMS Invincible on the night of 17 May, but bad weather forced it to land 50 miles (80 km) from its target, and the mission was aborted.[41] The pilot flew to Chile and dropped off the SAS team, before setting fire to his helicopter and surrendering to the Chilean authorities. The discovery of the burnt-out helicopter attracted considerable international attention at the time.
Does anyone know where the SAS lads went, why he surrendered and why he burnt out his chopper?
Old 24 February 2010, 12:42 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
And I wonder if those French ***** will be selling the Argies missiles to fire at our lads again......
Old 24 February 2010, 08:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I doubt it.

I was reading Wiki the other day about the Falklands War and came across this..

Does anyone know where the SAS lads went, why he surrendered and why he burnt out his chopper?

From memory the sea borne inflitration was to destroy the main military airbase close to the coast. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.
ahh, found this http://www.eliteukforces.info/articl...us-exocets.php

Chillie was/is neutral - The helecopter was destroyed so none of the equipment on board was salvaged or taken by chilean authorities or others such as the Eastern Block - the Berlin wall was still up at this stage.

Destroying equipment such as aircraft was/is Standard Operating Procedure so as not to let it fall in to the wrong hands.

The SAS team allowed themselves to be captured and repatriated from a neutral country

Chillie was always plan B in case of problems or the team could not be x-filtrated by heli from Argentina.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 February 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 24 February 2010, 08:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I see Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez was having a rant at the Queen saying Thier (Argentinas) fight was his fight and to give back the Falklands - More sabre rattling from another tin pot dictator who changed to constitution so he could remain in power- one so out of touch he thinks the Queen has a say in it.

You have to love the macho posturing of the South Americano's - this is pretty much how the last war started... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdEyn1QL2c Have a watch - the cheeky little snot needs a b1tch slap. Having said that we have a presitente who was unelected by the people who likes to smack the little people about so maybe it is pot and kettle

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 February 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 24 February 2010, 08:59 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
They'd probably back us up as far as they did last time, about the same as they did in Suez
Use of the airstrip on Ascencion Island and exclusive use (ahead of some of their own forces) of the AIM-9L Sidewinder.

There was also covert intel assistance in helping purchase every Exocet on the black market.

I think they helped as far as they were able to without being drawn in.

source - and a damn good read
Old 24 February 2010, 09:50 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Use of the airstrip on Ascencion Island and exclusive use (ahead of some of their own forces) of the AIM-9L Sidewinder.

There was also covert intel assistance in helping purchase every Exocet on the black market.

I think they helped as far as they were able to without being drawn in.

source - and a damn good read
That Vulcan book also made mention of the support the US gave (albeit not necessarily openly). Think the Vulcans (and Victors) used a huge amount of fuel from the US when they were based on Ascension Island.
Old 24 February 2010, 09:59 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
And I wonder if those French ***** will be selling the Argies missiles to fire at our lads again......
In fairness (and i have no love for the French) the Exocet missiles supplied by the French where supplied as part of a deal well before the conflict along with the Super Entandard(sp?) planes that launched the missiles. Franch did not supply any more once the war broke out and the Argies where attempting to buy off of the black market.

The Argentine conscript army used a lot of Belgian 'FN' rifles, same as the British
Army at that time, not just the French supplying arms, again an old deal.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 February 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 24 February 2010, 10:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think the Argentines modified the exocets so that they could be used as an airborne missile, which caused us to get severely damaged at the time.

The Falklands are British property with Brits living on them and and as such we are obligated to defend them.

Les
Old 24 February 2010, 10:54 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it seem the British want all the benefits of a post imperialist past (access to the mineral wealth 20,000 miles away)

but none of the responsibilities that come with it

I can only imaging what snetters would think it the Argies occupied the Scilly Isles, or the Shetlands and claimed some North Sea oil
Old 24 February 2010, 10:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
it seem the British want all the benefits of a post imperialist past (access to the mineral wealth 20,000 miles away)

but none of the responsibilities that come with it

I can only imaging what snetters would think it the Argies occupied the Scilly Isles, or the Shetlands and claimed some North Sea oil

Are you British?

Do you think the Argentine nation have the right to take back the Falklands?
Old 24 February 2010, 11:21 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

yes i am british

and my father's father fought in France in 1917, and my fathers uncle died on the beaches of Galipolli

and my mothers father fought in the 2nd world war

and yes Argentina have a case -- as recognised by the British in the 70's

I just laugh at the irony of the xenophobic cr4p that comes out of these pages by idots who can't understand much more than a red top headline
Old 24 February 2010, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't see what is xenophobic about our responsibility to defend a British dependency and the people on it.

les
Old 24 February 2010, 12:13 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

i watched half my family go and fight the argies and if it kicks off again i will be putting my hand up to go.we have better and bigger toys now to play with.
Old 24 February 2010, 12:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

yes i am british

and my father's father fought in France in 1917, and my fathers uncle died on the beaches of Galipolli

and my mothers father fought in the 2nd world war

and yes Argentina have a case -- as recognised by the British in the 70's

I just laugh at the irony of the xenophobic cr4p that comes out of these pages by idots who can't understand much more than a red top headline

Can you point out the xenophobic posts in this thread?
Old 24 February 2010, 12:41 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
From memory the sea borne inflitration was to destroy the main military airbase close to the coast. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.
ahh, found this The SAS vs The Exocets

Chillie was/is neutral - The helecopter was destroyed so none of the equipment on board was salvaged or taken by chilean authorities or others such as the Eastern Block - the Berlin wall was still up at this stage.

Destroying equipment such as aircraft was/is Standard Operating Procedure so as not to let it fall in to the wrong hands.

The SAS team allowed themselves to be captured and repatriated from a neutral country

Chillie was always plan B in case of problems or the team could not be x-filtrated by heli from Argentina.
Cheers.

Anyone recommend any good books on this subject? The only thing I know about the conflict is what I have read on Wiki
Old 24 February 2010, 12:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Can you point out the xenophobic posts in this thread?
no I can't -- you win
Old 24 February 2010, 12:58 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Vulcan 607 - Rowland White
Sea Harrier - Sharkey Ward
Don't Cry for Me, Sergeant-Major- Hands & McGowan
Sod That for a Game of Soldiers - Mark Eyles-Thomas

I've read a few others too, but can't think which at the moment. If they are lying about somewhere to hand at home, I'll post them later.
Old 24 February 2010, 01:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

no I can't -- you win
I only asked as you stared in with the xenophobic comment followed by the idiots and red tops

In this case it is not about winning or loosing, just not too sure why you feel the need to belittle and berrate the people who have commented so far. If this thread was full of 'kill the argies, murder thier children' then i would agree wholeheartedly, so far it has discussed the past present and future in a reasonable (for SN) way surely.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 February 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 24 February 2010, 01:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Vulcan 607 - Rowland White
Sea Harrier - Sharkey Ward
Don't Cry for Me, Sergeant-Major- Hands & McGowan
Sod That for a Game of Soldiers - Mark Eyles-Thomas

I've read a few others too, but can't think which at the moment. If they are lying about somewhere to hand at home, I'll post them later.
I heard a very interesting first hand account by a senior officer back in 1988 whilst i was with the 7 Royal Anglians. Typically i cannot for the life of me remember his name but he recounted the battle for Tumblewdown and Mount William in such a way it was like being there - only without the Argentine 20mm anti aircraft guns leveled and the oncoming British troops.
Old 24 February 2010, 04:02 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The only "claim" Argentina have over the Falklands is geography; which is a bit ropey at best when you look at some other geographical political decisions. I think Canada should start demanding Alaska back - hell, even Russia is closer to Alaska than most of the US.

Argentina have never had even a short lived presence on the Falklands or South Georgia; they have only ever been populated by "British" people. As a nation we have had a presence on the Falklands since 1795 - the French having more of a claim on the islands than either the Spanish or the Argentinians due to them establishing a settlement on them in 1794. Either way; we have had a presence on those Islands longer than many modern European countries have even existed.

Other than all that - it is pretty much accepted in these times that a people have a choice to determine their rule. They wish to remain British and be subjects of the British Crown. That, frankly, is the end of it.
Old 24 February 2010, 04:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have often thought tht UK should give the Falklands back to the Argies but lease it from them for a long time say, 500 years. So Argentina would save face and UK could carry on just as now. Didn't we do that for Hong Kong?

Same with NI but that's a bit more controversial!

d
Old 24 February 2010, 05:26 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius

Other than all that - it is pretty much accepted in these times that a people have a choice to determine their rule. They wish to remain British and be subjects of the British Crown. That, frankly, is the end of it.
Is that what happened in the case of Diego Garcia or in more recent times Hong Kong?
I have always been of the understanding that the wishes of the inhabitants in these situations, count for absolutely nothing.
Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that this is the official government line.
Maybe I am out of step on this one - but I don't think so.
Old 24 February 2010, 06:01 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s

I was thinking the same. If they don't we may need to pull our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan
Old 24 February 2010, 06:05 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Falkland Islands Information Web - History of the Falklands - Louis Vernet: The Great Entrepreneur

interesting read
Old 24 February 2010, 06:15 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

My thoughts are that if this is in fact about oil they are quite likely to invade it themselves!

Stranger things have happened
Old 24 February 2010, 06:42 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I see Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez was having a rant at the Queen saying Thier (Argentinas) fight was his fight and to give back the Falklands - More sabre rattling from another tin pot dictator who changed to constitution so he could remain in power- one so out of touch he thinks the Queen has a say in it.
A tin pot dictator with the Military backing of the Russians.
Old 24 February 2010, 07:21 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i remember watching a documentary years ago about the falklands ,and it said the yanks watched from a distance with carriers waiting north of south america if we needed any back up

Quick Reply: The Falklands