Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVLA - Score one for the little man (me)

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2010, 11:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVLA - Score one for the little man (me)

I sold my Pug back in July last year. I had managed to misplace the V5 and asked the DVLA the best thing to do.

I wrote into the DVLA giving the vehicle details, my details, new keeper details and the date the sale was made.

I also refunded the new owner £25.00 to pay for a new V5 as this seemed like the right thing to do.

2 months later I get letter informing me I had not notified the DVLA of the change of ownership and had been fined £80.00 accordingly.
I wrote back enclosing a copy of the letter explaining I had notified them.

2 months later (Nov. '09) I get another letter telling me I had not paid and I needed to, to avoid court action - I sent a copy and explained again.

Feb this year I get a court summons to plead guilty or not guilty to the charge of not notifying the Sec of State that I had sold my car - you would have thought he had more things to worry about but there ya go

I asked on PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice and got lots of advice from pay up to fight it on these grounds. Having then researched it a little I put in a not guilty plea a couple of weeks ago (10 days or so) requesting the person from the DVLA to attend and give evidence as I would attend court. I planned to defend this based on me posting the letters and that in itself being enough under law along with the DVLA not actually require to send notification of receipt of my letters (which they are not by law obliged to)

Anyhow I get a call from the DVLA asking why I plan to defend I explain about the letters, the then move the court date from 01/03/2010 to 29/03/2009 and ask me to send in the letter again (and email) which I have since done - I asked why the chap explained that if I could provide the letter then they would drop the case.

Just had a letter this morning informing me that the case is now closed.

Please remember it is always worth fighting if you are in the right.
Old 25 February 2010, 11:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I sold my Pug back in July last year. I had managed to misplace the V5 and asked the DVLA the best thing to do.

I wrote into the DVLA giving the vehicle details, my details, new keeper details and the date the sale was made.

I also refunded the new owner £25.00 to pay for a new V5 as this seemed like the right thing to do.

2 months later I get letter informing me I had not notified the DVLA of the change of ownership and had been fined £80.00 accordingly.
I wrote back enclosing a copy of the letter explaining I had notified them.

2 months later (Nov. '09) I get another letter telling me I had not paid and I needed to, to avoid court action - I sent a copy and explained again.

Feb this year I get a court summons to plead guilty or not guilty to the charge of not notifying the Sec of State that I had sold my car - you would have thought he had more things to worry about but there ya go

I asked on PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice and got lots of advice from pay up to fight it on these grounds. Having then researched it a little I put in a not guilty plea a couple of weeks ago (10 days or so) requesting the person from the DVLA to attend and give evidence as I would attend court. I planned to defend this based on me posting the letters and that in itself being enough under law along with the DVLA not actually require to send notification of receipt of my letters (which they are not by law obliged to)

Anyhow I get a call from the DVLA asking why I plan to defend I explain about the letters, the then move the court date from 01/03/2010 to 29/03/2009 and ask me to send in the letter again (and email) which I have since done - I asked why the chap explained that if I could provide the letter then they would drop the case.

Just had a letter this morning informing me that the case is now closed.

Please remember it is always worth fighting if you are in the right.
Good news Paul, but I would have told them diddly when they called me as would have been a lovely day in court and would have had the added bonus of dragging the DVLA people out their office to the court so wasting a day of their so precious time meaning the next time they fail to respond to a letter from a taxpayer that pays their wages they might think twice the ignorant *****!
Old 25 February 2010, 11:59 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one, it's always good to win against the stupidity, sorry I mean bureacracy, that is some of these government agencies
Old 25 February 2010, 01:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well done Paul good to see you prevailed and did not let the prats grind you down.

Les
Old 25 February 2010, 01:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

nice one Paul

I got a letter a week ago informing me that I had failed to tax my scoob and I was liable to an £80 penalty.
I had completely forgotten to declare it SORN as right now it is only a shell and sitting on my driveway..whoops

So wrote them a letter saying sorry, I forgot to declare it SORN and encllosed a few pictures of it sans engine and so hopefully that will be enough to show that it cant move

We shall see if they believe me or not
Old 25 February 2010, 04:26 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Good result, never be afraid to stand your ground against any companies/bodies especially if your right
Old 25 February 2010, 06:47 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Good going, Paul

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2010, 07:37 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default Good stuff!

Too many peeps roll over these days cos it's the easy thing to do. Just as well you wrote a letter though, doubt that many people bother with that these days.

As an aside I got one of those deals where you buy now pay later (over £1000) & forgot to pay the balance on time (I know, I know!). What I did though was write them a letter as soon as I realized enclosing the balance & stating it was in full & final payment & not to cash it unless they agreed. They cashed it. 2.5yrs later they sent me a bill for £2k ish right out of the blue They eventually said that the sum I paid was part payment & interest had been running ever since! I pointed out my letter which they said never turned up I then pointed out (& sent another copy) that the cheque was attached to it. Got a final letter saying nothing further due

If I'd just sent them a cheque though no doubt they'd still be chasing me today ...

TX.
Old 25 February 2010, 09:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
nice one Paul

I got a letter a week ago informing me that I had failed to tax my scoob and I was liable to an £80 penalty.
I had completely forgotten to declare it SORN as right now it is only a shell and sitting on my driveway..whoops

So wrote them a letter saying sorry, I forgot to declare it SORN and encllosed a few pictures of it sans engine and so hopefully that will be enough to show that it cant move

We shall see if they believe me or not
I'm sure you will be issued with a full and written invoice mate.

The hassle I had off the fining b's over an RS4 I sold to a dealer and that was then exported, and hence appeared to be untaxed was pathetic.

They have lost track of their purpose and morality. They can not be trusted and are just dumb money chasing ****** by now with abysmally ethics. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.

D
Old 25 February 2010, 09:33 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Paul Glad got it all sorted

Richard
Old 25 February 2010, 10:37 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel
I'm sure you will be issued with a full and written invoice mate.

The hassle I had off the fining b's over an RS4 I sold to a dealer and that was then exported, and hence appeared to be untaxed was pathetic.

They have lost track of their purpose and morality. They can not be trusted and are just dumb money chasing ****** by now with abysmally ethics. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.

D
Got a letter today saying that whilst they understood my car was not roadworthy, it was still my fault for not declaring SORN, so have to stump up £40
Old 26 February 2010, 08:59 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Bang to form mate - its isnt about the facts and a bit of humanity in dealing with the scummy public. DIRTY CASH rules.

D
Old 26 February 2010, 09:25 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Paul!

Now why not sue on grounds of unnecessary stress