Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know the rules regarding signing on?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2010, 05:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anyone know the rules regarding signing on?

As some of you will be aware, my eldest was once again made redundant at the end of January this year.

He went to sign on and was told he can have 6 months JSA, then nothing, since he's living at home

He's getting SOME work, one day a week plating/welding, a couple of shifts next week doing merchandising, so they've stopped his JSA

But does anyone know: should he need to sign on again, will he have ANOTHER 6 months JSA, or will it still be the remaining 5 months, or will it have continued to count down and be less than that?

Seems that if you were born here, and you and your family have paid a stamp for their entire working lives, you get the bare minimum
Byt come as a so called "asylum seeker", or an Eastern European economic migrant and see what you are entitled to..........
Old 26 February 2010, 12:55 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he`s working one day a week then he cant claim jsa. If he signed off when he restarted work then he`ll have to sign back on and start again. I think
Old 26 February 2010, 02:02 AM
spray1974
Scooby Regular

Thought you were allowed up to 16hrs a week as long as its declared? less than £90 but they no doubt would deduct it from any benefit... Not 100% sure about this as its only what I have been told of someone else.. Could be crap..... Tell him good luck getting some plating/fabrication work.. looking myself and there aint a lot going
Old 26 February 2010, 07:29 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spray1974
Thought you were allowed up to 16hrs a week as long as its declared? less than £90 but they no doubt would deduct it from any benefit... Not 100% sure about this as its only what I have been told of someone else.. Could be crap..... Tell him good luck getting some plating/fabrication work.. looking myself and there aint a lot going
Me and Jeff discussed this last night (appreicate the help with the doors mate) and it seems to be different for JSA and Incapacity Beneift which I was on 18 months back.

with JSA if you work, whilst claiming, they simply take anything you earn off the JSA amount. So you couldn't say work in a shop for 10 hours p/w and then get your JSA on top. It would be merely deducted or thats my interpretation of it.

Now with things like long term sick leave and incapacity benefit, you can work upto 15 hours p/w (obviously if your fit and able to) and claim your benefit still. I have a close friend who is on long term sick after a car accident which left him with a brain disorder but who is looking for like a bar job or something to help him back on his way.

Yet it sickens me to think the illegals which are entering stand there with an 'Oliver-esque' palm out to the government mumbling "can we have some more, Sir".
Old 26 February 2010, 08:06 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See your mistake was being honest and telling them he is working ... silly you .. don't you know you have to rape the system ..
Old 26 February 2010, 08:53 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Seems that if you were born here, and you and your family have paid a stamp for their entire working lives, you get the bare minimum
Byt come as a so called "asylum seeker", or an Eastern European economic migrant and see what you are entitled to..........

Makes me angry too.
Old 26 February 2010, 08:54 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

JSA 6 months in any 2 year period iirc from what they told me recently.

Pulled from the JSP website

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobcentre Plus can pay this for up to 182 days. It’s based on how much National Insurance you have paid in the last two tax years. Generally, self-employed contributions will not help you qualify for contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2010, 09:34 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar

Yep

I suggest he changes his name by deedpoll to Ahmed Raghead Mohamed then put some fake tan on his face, get one of your wifes tea towels and wrap it round his head

He'll have much better luck with that visit.
Old 26 February 2010, 09:42 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Upto 16 hours per week you can still claim jsa i think.
Jobcentre Plus -
Old 26 February 2010, 09:06 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our system is ****, when i was out work around the middle of last year, i was only entitled to benefits for 6months even though i've been paying in since i was 17! Luckily I was able to find myself a job within a few weeks.

Honestly don't get it, my sister has never had a real job nor do I think she ever will but why would she, house paid for and enough money to take herself out every weekend plus at least one holiday over the summer.