Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it safe to stop here ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2010, 11:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it safe to stop here ?

Colleague of mine left work and got a call .. being a tit he didn't put his ear piece in and his is a job in which you answer your phone 247 .. anyway, 11 second call and as he puts it down he's spotted by a cop ..

Fair play .. the cop flashes him as he approaches a dual laned roundabout, which has busy roads in all directions.

The cop signals to pull over to which he shrugs and lifts his hands to say where ?

The cop pulls alone side and asks what he is saying?

My colleague replies "Where is it safe to pu..." before he finishes his sentence someone hits the back of the stationary cop car at about 30mph .. the cop near hits the windscreen ..

With a look of burning anger the coper tells him to just go .. and they both look back at the man behind who looks like he's about to die lol

Have to say it made me laugh ... poor Mr Police man, trying to stop idiots using their phone ..

The fella from work cant get over how lucky he was !
Old 27 February 2010, 03:38 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite the same, but I was on the A38 this evening, we were travelling in the empty right-hand lane, ahead was a stationary vehicle in the left lane, waiting to cross the cross-roads. We're taking the right hand lane in case we need to make progress should a job come in.

The lights remained on red as we drew level with the stationary vehicle. As soon as we stopped, the car next to us pulled away. Through the red lights and across the oncoming traffic.

The blue lights came on, he pulled over and apologised. Having passed the attitude test, he was advised that, in our opinion, he'd seen the filter light turn green for anyone turning left.

We can't believe how lucky this chap was, making across 4 lanes without being hit. Very relieved though.
Old 27 February 2010, 03:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pimmo: maybe the cop will think MORE about proper policing, looking for poor driving, and LESS about tax-gathering in future?
Old 27 February 2010, 04:03 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested to know how many fines are handed out by cops to motorists for phone usage compared to the potential amount which could be handed out.

I've only given one ticket out in the last 13 months and have probably let off 8 or 9 drivers with words of advice.
Old 27 February 2010, 09:20 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'd be interested to know how many fines are handed out by cops to motorists for phone usage compared to the potential amount which could be handed out.

I've only given one ticket out in the last 13 months and have probably let off 8 or 9 drivers with words of advice.
I think it would take a considerable amount of man power to catch everyone breaking 'that' law.
Old 27 February 2010, 09:25 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Colleague of mine left work and got a call .. being a tit he didn't put his ear piece in and his is a job in which you answer your phone 247 .. anyway, 11 second call and as he puts it down he's spotted by a cop ..

Fair play .. the cop flashes him as he approaches a dual laned roundabout, which has busy roads in all directions.

The cop signals to pull over to which he shrugs and lifts his hands to say where ?

The cop pulls alone side and asks what he is saying?

My colleague replies "Where is it safe to pu..." before he finishes his sentence someone hits the back of the stationary cop car at about 30mph .. the cop near hits the windscreen ..

With a look of burning anger the coper tells him to just go .. and they both look back at the man behind who looks like he's about to die lol

Have to say it made me laugh ... poor Mr Police man, trying to stop idiots using their phone ..

The fella from work cant get over how lucky he was !

Coppers are above the law and can park where they want
Old 27 February 2010, 10:18 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I hope your friend did not just drive off, the poor motorist who went into the back of the copper will need all the help he can get
Old 27 February 2010, 10:25 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Does this REALLY help the level of road safety we would all aspire to ?

I for one hold up my hands and admit to "making haste" once in a while, but I've never bothered to use a phone whilst driving.

dunx

P.S. I was coming home from Morrison's last night when "KojaK" was making rapid progress to a doughnut through a set of traffic lights on red.... but he'd forgotten the blues and twos, that caused a fair bit of confusion amongst the sleeping drivers dawdling along LOL
Old 27 February 2010, 11:47 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Does this REALLY help the level of road safety we would all aspire to ?
Sometimes I think the presence of a marked car can cause people to concentrate so much on the police vehicle, that they forget completely about what they should be doing and drive out of character.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:06 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Sometimes I think the presence of a marked car can cause people to concentrate so much on the police vehicle, that they forget completely about what they should be doing and drive out of character.
Totally agree, I also think that a stern warning and on your way gets a lot of respect
Old 27 February 2010, 12:09 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Totally agree, I also think that a stern warning and on your way gets a lot of respect
That's the way I like to work. No point in handing out tickets when I could be making a positive difference to a (potential) victims life.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Pimmo: maybe the cop will think MORE about proper policing, looking for poor driving, and LESS about tax-gathering in future?
Using a mobile whilst driving is poor driving.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:13 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I hope your friend did not just drive off, the poor motorist who went into the back of the copper will need all the help he can get
Are you suggesting that someone who can't spot a stationary fully marked police car with it's lights flashing whilst driving at 30mph shouldn't have the book thrown at them?

What's the betting they were on the phone?
Old 27 February 2010, 12:17 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

That's the way I like to work. No point in handing out tickets when I could be making a positive difference to a (potential) victims life.
Its just a pity the people at the top don't take this approach instead of thinking about the money fines generate.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it
Old 27 February 2010, 01:18 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

wonder what happened to him ..
Old 27 February 2010, 02:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

The cop? Probably got a bollocking from a senior officer and a lot of **** taking from his colleagues. As long as it wasn't his fault, chances are nothing else other than filling in some paper work.
Old 27 February 2010, 02:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

The cop? Probably got a bollocking from a senior officer and a lot of **** taking from his colleagues. As long as it wasn't his fault, chances are nothing else other than filling in some paper work.
lol no the fella who hit him
Old 27 February 2010, 02:21 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I expect he **** himself!

Pretty much as my last reply, apart from his wife will probably bollock him for crashing and his mates will take the **** for crashing in to a cop car.

If the blues and two's were still on, then I dare say due care and attention would be in question. However, if the cop just stopped, hen probably 50/50 and leave the insurance company to sort it out.
Old 27 February 2010, 02:30 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

The way the round about is setup you can see whats coming as you come round the corner, its quite tight too.. he will have looked and seen nothing coming at all, so carried on .. clearly not expecting someone to be stopped waiting ..

It is technically undue care though .. lol poor *******
Old 27 February 2010, 04:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't think you can justify using a phone while driving.

Les
Old 27 February 2010, 07:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I once tottered a mile down a urban clearway with a police car following with blues and twos wanting me to pull over. Although whilst they were in persuit mode I could see them, but I couldn't see their lights (do coppers realise that if they travel so close to the rear of a vehicle, the driver infront cannot see the blue lights in their mirrors? The only way I knew was from the reflections off signposts).

Of course I ackwnowledged thier presence, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stop on a 70mph dual carriageway with no hard shoulder, for the reasons outlined in the OP- Especially knowing there was a turning a mile further down the road, where I could stop in safety.

I did get a sarcastic comment; where I was thanked for stopping (eventually). Still, better that than a dozy HGV wearing the remains of their Police car on its grill (with me sat in the back).

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 February 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 28 February 2010, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good thinking Ali.

Les
Old 28 February 2010, 04:59 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The same as Ali on the A75 one winter's night. Got lasered doing 80 on an empty straight bit of road running for a ferry. Where he caught up with me was then winding with solid white line on the side so I flashed the hazards one time, slowed to 50 and drove for about 5 minutes until I found a suitable and safe layby.

Still got the fixed penalty but no sarcastic comments re pulling over though
Old 28 February 2010, 09:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I doubt it very much ...

TX.