Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

website designers

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2010, 08:48 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default website designers

ok well i wanted to set up a website last year found free one via microsoft office, i made WWW.NEEDATOW.CO.UK v easily and the domain was cheap as chips

anyway as a sideline i do cars, i found this website Sell My Car, Sell A Car, Sell Your Car, We Buy Any Car @ Fast Car Buyer

how easily could i make one like this? or is it a right pain?

i have adverts on yellow pages, yell and other places so i could utilise the adverts to include this new website

ok im a novice so to speak but is it really that hard?

also he has a couple adverts on his site is that purely for SEO reasons?? how would i get adverts like that on my site?

Last edited by apples24; 27 February 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 28 February 2010, 09:37 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

up
Old 28 February 2010, 09:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Does that site give you an instant valuation or is it via email?

The reason I ask is that would be the only area of compelxity in a site such as that. If it has a database behind it to provide instant valuations then that is a much more complex site than if it simply harvest the requests and the site operator does the valuation by hand if you like before emailing the contact back with the valuation.
Old 28 February 2010, 09:56 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

no i would only want it so they fill the details and it emails me etc
Old 28 February 2010, 10:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well if you have already put a site together you are happy with then this is really no different. Plenty of scripts out there to build you a more complex contact form which is really the only difference this site has to yours.

It all depends what you want the site to do for you, if you want people to find you via it then looking at your Needatow site you could do a few thingws that would make it far better for the search engines, you could also make it a bit nicer looking (please don't take that as an insult).

However, if you are wanting people to go to it from other adverts rather than find it directly and you are happy with it no point spending lots of money.

The adverts on the other site are probably reci[procal links to other companies and yes they do help with the SEO, but would be even better as text links.
Old 28 February 2010, 10:36 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
The adverts on the other site are probably reci[procal links to other companies and yes they do help with the SEO, but would be even better as text links.
The adverts on the other site aren't reciprocal links but affiliate links from the address; http://www.affiliatefuture.co.uk

They also don't help with SEO.

Webmasters sign up to become a publisher and paste code into their own sites using banners or links that fit in with their business. They earn from visitors clicking the banners/links. There are loads of affiliate sites out there paying varying rates.
Old 28 February 2010, 10:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
The adverts on the other site aren't reciprocal links but affiliate links from the address; http://www.affiliatefuture.co.uk

They also don't help with SEO.

Webmasters sign up to become a publisher and paste code into their own sites using banners or links that fit in with their business. They earn from visitors clicking the banners/links. There are loads of affiliate sites out there paying varying rates.
No worries, I didnt look too hard at the site as it is pretty awful to look at frankly.

Thanks for the info on affiliates.... if only you knew LOL And I don't mean that in a smug way, just funny how people on SN assume things about others (me included).
Old 28 February 2010, 10:52 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Also, Apples24. Your Homepage title is "About us", so as far as SEO goes you might stand a chance of being found on search engines if somebody types in 'About us'.

You can improve SEO no end by using a relevant title. For instance, Southampton Vehicle Breakdown | Affordable Rescue and Recovery | Car Transporting Service
Old 28 February 2010, 12:04 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

ok thanks ill have a fiddle later, with the free website i used it was hard to get my site looking any better very std templates, ill deffo change the page names though

regarding seo i only use adwords at the mo
Old 28 February 2010, 05:59 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

i made JimJam Photography using Website Builder | How to Make a Website | WebEden.co.uk its really really easy and i am happy with the results and the do free options as well
Old 28 February 2010, 06:08 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

looks quite good
Old 28 February 2010, 06:17 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

thanks mate, it was really easy to do, the software they use is very intuitive
Old 28 February 2010, 06:22 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by baz995
i made JimJam Photography using Website Builder | How to Make a Website | WebEden.co.uk its really really easy and i am happy with the results and the do free options as well
The Yeovilton Airday Finale. The helecopters and the flames is an outstanding picture
Old 28 February 2010, 06:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
ok well i wanted to set up a website last year found free one via microsoft office, i made recovery services v easily and the domain was cheap as chips

Free via microsoft office, can you expand please. I have office 2003 and 2007.
Old 28 February 2010, 07:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

ok thanks ill have a fiddle later, with the free website i used it was hard to get my site looking any better very std templates, ill deffo change the page names though

regarding seo i only use adwords at the mo
Using Adwords is obviously costing you money. You'll leap in search engines sorting out a decent title without spending a penny.

Be aware though, should your competitors get wind of you using Adwords they could simply bleed your account dry by malicious clicking. So sort your title out and move up search for free.

Once you get your site to look better you could join Adsense or any affiliate programme and start earning from visitors clicking links on your pages.
Old 28 February 2010, 07:59 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
Baz, same goes for you about changing your title to something that will actually get picked up in search. As it stands now unless somebody types in JimJam Photography you're pretty well invisible.
Old 01 March 2010, 01:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

No worries, I didnt look too hard at the site as it is pretty awful to look at frankly.

Thanks for the info on affiliates.... if only you knew LOL And I don't mean that in a smug way, just funny how people on SN assume things about others (me included).
I never assume anything except if you couldn't click your mouse twice to see they were affiliate links I'd question your right to comment in the first place about them being reciprocal links.

In short I say as I see and as you apparently design websites I'd akin your mistake to a mechanic trying to fit spark plugs in a diesel.

HTH
Old 01 March 2010, 02:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I never assume anything except if you couldn't click your mouse twice to see they were affiliate links I'd question your right to comment in the first place about them being reciprocal links.

In short I say as I see and as you apparently design websites I'd akin your mistake to a mechanic trying to fit spark plugs in a diesel.

HTH
LOL, SN, home of the smug ****!!
Old 01 March 2010, 05:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

LOL, SN, home of the smug ****!!
**** all smug about pointing out the obvious. Calling me a twát when you are clearly exposed seems a little odd even to a somebody taking his keyboard warriorship level one, like you clearly are.
Old 01 March 2010, 05:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

**** all smug about pointing out the obvious. Calling me a twát when you are clearly exposed seems a little odd even to a somebody taking his keyboard warriorship level one, like you clearly are.
Clearly exposed LOL! OK seeing as you don't want to let it go....

I said 'probably reciprocal links' which to anyone normal would be taken to mean I hadn't checked. And why should I have checked? It was just a friendly and hopefully helpful reply to the original poster. So I was wrong about my supposition... big deal.

If you like I could go on about your constant repetition of the importance of the title on pages sounding like that is all that matters when there are more than 10 other equally important factors that go to work for a Google ranking.

I have always refrained form posting replies to anything web design related on SN because you can rest assured there is always soemone else who knows better and has a contact/chum/gimp who can do a better job than anyone else for half a pint of mild and a packet of pork scratchings.

So I think I shall leave it and the subject there and get back to baiting the hatch owners and having fun in the political threads.

Sorry if you took umbrage at my comment, but that is just how you came across to me in your posts ... just saying as I see it and if I am wrong then I apologise, but I think we both know you were looking for a rise and you got it
Old 01 March 2010, 06:12 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

f1 fan so what other equally important factors are there?
Old 01 March 2010, 08:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Clearly exposed LOL! OK seeing as you don't want to let it go....
Correcting your obvious mistakes isn't what I or anybody with half a brain would call failing to let something go. You were clearly in the wrong yet refused to even acknowledge it until your last post.

I said 'probably reciprocal links' which to anyone normal would be taken to mean I hadn't checked. And why should I have checked? It was just a friendly and hopefully helpful reply to the original poster. So I was wrong about my supposition... big deal.
You are supposedly a website designer and get asked a question by somebody wanting information in that field and have the cheek to answer a question with incorrect information and now admit to not even looking FFS! Anybody 'normal' as you put it, from that you'd have to mean someone that doesn't know any better, would of course just see your answer as correct. Anybody with a little knowledge on the subject would have seen you are talking out the top of your hat. Though now we all know you didn't even look to answer the question, which is mildly better than not actually knowing at all.

just funny how people on SN assume things about others (me included).
So I was wrong about my supposition
I think your "(me included)" addition to your "just funny how" post saved you there.

If you like I could go on about your constant repetition of the importance of the title on pages sounding like that is all that matters when there are more than 10 other equally important factors that go to work for a Google ranking.
I'm quite happy I know what else is involved thanks. Though the titles are a basic visual benefit that could be changed extremely quickly to give a huge gain. Again these are found via 2 mouse clicks and could be reported immediately here.

I have always refrained form posting replies to anything web design related on SN because you can rest assured there is always soemone else who knows better and has a contact/chum/gimp who can do a better job than anyone else for half a pint of mild and a packet of pork scratchings.
I shouldn't sound surprised either after your performance in this thread.

Sorry if you took umbrage at my comment, but that is just how you came across to me in your posts ... just saying as I see it and if I am wrong then I apologise, but I think we both know you were looking for a rise and you got it
So you wouldn't expect anything untoward if you found yourself bouncing off a wall if you called someone a smug twát to their face? For as long as I've known it comes under the banner of fighting talk and requires the potential to get sweaty if you shout it out in the real world.
Isn't it also amazing how just because someone spots a blatant error in supposed advice from someone supposedly trained in a particular field is then accused of baiting. It is incredibly odd behaviour by the defensive to somehow attempt to push blame onto someone else.
Old 01 March 2010, 08:31 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

excuse me can i have my thread back pls, good friendly free info is valuable to me
Old 01 March 2010, 08:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

excuse me can i have my thread back pls, good friendly free info is valuable to me
And you got it from me so who you directing your post at?
Old 01 March 2010, 09:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Spoon,

The OP has asked us nicely so just let it go eh?
Old 01 March 2010, 09:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Spoon,

The OP has asked us nicely so just let it go eh?
As far as I'm concerned I'd finished long ago but you seem to struggle with this concept or you'd not have posted this message.
Old 01 March 2010, 09:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm concerned I'd finished long ago
Excellent news!!
Old 13 September 2010, 08:07 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

up
Old 13 September 2010, 10:03 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Apples how is it all going?
Old 13 September 2010, 11:12 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

well.. trying to keep the website seo uptogether but calls are slow, i have adverts with yell.com yellow pages and 118. adverts on all the free sites on the net, dropped google adwords, naturally i have good weeks and slow weeks but it could be better.

id like to maximise on the resources i have which are my website etc, i think naturally my next move is to maximise on the offers i have on my transport page in the way of flyers and mail them to all local trade maybe thats the next way forward, i have been saving for a newer truck but a newer truck wont make me any more money, i get flooded with the usual cold calls and emails offering seo and we can maximise this that and the other but most of it is bull****, i sit now knowing im not making as much as i could do but its hard, but then the motor trade is hard at the mo the world and their wife are trying to make money.

i can repair salvege cars, paint cars, recover cars, do diagnostics and i trade the odd car theoreticly (spelling) speaking i should be doing well but in all honesty im scraping along and just just ticking over

Last edited by apples24; 13 September 2010 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: website designers