Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

help pothole bursts 1week old tyre :(

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2010, 12:20 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help pothole bursts 1week old tyre :(

hi i just got my car motd 2 weeks ago it failed on a bulge on the sidewall caused by hitting a pothole about a month before mot was due.

i fit new tyres to the front michelin pilot exaltos £113 each ouch.
10 days after mot i hit another pothole and same problem again another bulge.knowing that its a safety related problem as bulges can cause blowouts and ive been stung twice within weeks of each other i want to get the council to pay up has anyone managed to do this and is there a succesful procedure?

oh yea ive been succesful in avoiding the majority of potholes in the past but some are just unavoidable if theres a car in the lane next to you as that is what happened.
Old 28 February 2010, 12:45 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

found this Potholes.co.uk - Home Page

How to claim for pothole damage | Discussion | Back Room Forum | Honest John
Old 28 February 2010, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by delcbr
hi i just got my car motd 2 weeks ago it failed on a bulge on the sidewall caused by hitting a pothole about a month before mot was due.

i fit new tyres to the front michelin pilot exaltos £113 each ouch.
10 days after mot i hit another pothole and same problem again another bulge.knowing that its a safety related problem as bulges can cause blowouts and ive been stung twice within weeks of each other i want to get the council to pay up has anyone managed to do this and is there a succesful procedure?

oh yea ive been succesful in avoiding the majority of potholes in the past but some are just unavoidable if theres a car in the lane next to you as that is what happened.
I had a tyre destroyed when I was forced over to the extreme left by a very large lorry approaching me as it swung wide on a corner. There was a biggish stone in the edge of the road projecting into the road. It was tarmacked into the road as well.

When I complained to the council I got a solicitor's letter denying all responsiblity and I was not prepared to go to court for the cost of a tyre. You might do better with a pothole however-dont forget to take photos of everything and also get the tyre firm to confirm the damage. Don't throw the tyre away either.

Les
Old 28 February 2010, 02:49 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Yep I have had this under slightly different circumstances, Phoenix gas had dug a small rectangular opening in the road and backfilled it with grit. Over time the grit lifted out of the hole leaving a rectangle about 18inches long, 8 inches wide and around 5 inches deep. I wrote to the government department who maintain the road, and took photos of the hole using a colleagues mobile telephone as a reference to show the size of the opening.

I would advise that you write to them stating that you wish to pursue them for financial remuneration, without prejudice to the issue of liability requesting that they cover the cost of your replacement tyre and wheel alignment. You may need to retain the tyre should they wish to inspect it, I damaged a tyre and an alloy at under 30 mph as well as screwing the alignment. They negotiated a betterment value, which was was fair enough as the my tyre had been on the car for some time.