Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Claiming on house insurance

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 09:21 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Claiming on house insurance

Im making a claim on my contents insurance, i tried to be all manly and carry our 32" CRT TV out the way while we had our carpets cleaned and dropped it, proper mullered it,casing smashed few capacitors everywhere etc etc

put the claim in etc, all cool on that front,but if they cant repair it what happens,how do they replace it ?

It is a Bush 32" CRT,cost me £650 about 6 yrs ago,i`d like like for like,quite happy for another 32" CRT to replace it,but are these about to buy new etc ?

If they give me a cash alternative,will it be on todays value of a CRT,which is like £50 ha ha ! or what ???
Old 25 March 2010, 09:24 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
Im making a claim on my contents insurance, i tried to be all manly and carry our 32" CRT TV out the way while we had our carpets cleaned and dropped it, proper mullered it,casing smashed few capacitors everywhere etc etc

put the claim in etc, all cool on that front,but if they cant repair it what happens,how do they replace it ?

It is a Bush 32" CRT,cost me £650 about 6 yrs ago,i`d like like for like,quite happy for another 32" CRT to replace it,but are these about to buy new etc ?

If they give me a cash alternative,will it be on todays value of a CRT,which is like £50 ha ha ! or what ???
I should think they will just replace it with the same size and similar make as you dropped .Which will be cheaper than you paid 6 yrs ago anyway ,so I cant see them quibbling to be honest .
Old 25 March 2010, 10:19 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I made a claim for a laptop a few weeks ago (the first claim weve ever made). They basically offered me a model that was in their opinion similar but, I had in my policy a clause for 'betterment', so I paid the difference and upgraded to one I wanted.
Old 25 March 2010, 10:24 PM
lord love rocket
Scooby Regular

I "spilt" water down the back of my crt a couple of years back, it was a big hitatchi surround sound thing, they gave me a voucher to use... for the ful retail value of the crt that "drowned" the voucher was valid at currys, so i bought a samsung lcd 40 incher (had to put a bit of cash to it). HTH
Old 25 March 2010, 10:36 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question:

WTF were you thinking buying a Bush TV?

From all the reviews I read - they are proper sh1te!

sample here
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews84081.html

Loved this review.

helmetism's review has yet to be rated - Be the first!

I'd recommend these sets to any value-loving cross bred gypsy. They are WICKED for those seeking no quality, at a fresh price. Nice set, if you're retarded too, or blind. MINT.

Last edited by jods; 25 March 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 25 March 2010, 10:38 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going from my experience.

I broke my laptop last year. It wasn't that old, but they couldn't replace it like for like. They asked me all the model information but also how much I had paid for it. They actually gave me fractionally more than I paid for it (in the form of a voucher) but did say if I wanted something that would cost more, I'd have to add the extra myself.

They were very good to deal with, and I wasn't expecting that tbh. Never had to claim before.
Old 25 March 2010, 11:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They will give you a sh1te 32" LCD ... probably a BUSH again ... if I was you I would add to the £49:99 and get something decent
Old 25 March 2010, 11:25 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Never had any issues with the BUSH TV,reliable,never went wrong,just the case is aweak point when you drop it i guess :-)

im just hoping they dont offer like a 2nd hand 32" CRT etc, cant find any new ones around in the shops etc,wonder if they have a stash of old kit in a warehouse i`ll get fobbed off with that will go pop soon

The RBS insurance policy has passed it to Be Valued for them to sort out
Old 26 March 2010, 11:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well,they are sending me an argos voucher for £300 so thats not too bad, theres a good Hitachi on there for £349 so gonna get that

Buy Hitachi 32in Full HD Digital LCD TV - 5 Series. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .
Old 26 March 2010, 11:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Do not buy a Hitachi. Check out some of the LG range of LCD's, they are rather good and have decent sound quality too for the exact same money. Much much better than Hitachi's (they aren't even made by Hitachi)
Old 26 March 2010, 11:58 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Do not buy a Hitachi. Check out some of the LG range of LCD's, they are rather good and have decent sound quality too for the exact same money. Much much better than Hitachi's (they aren't even made by Hitachi)
Totally agree with that. DO NOT buy a Hitachi. We had one from argos about 5 years ago,was replaced about 6 times under warranty for various faults until we gave up and binned it. Paid about £600 for it

LG's are alot better than Hitachi
Old 27 March 2010, 12:08 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by pslewis
They will give you a sh1te 32" LCD ... probably a BUSH again ... if I was you I would add to the £49:99 and get something decent
like your telly pete eh????

Old 27 March 2010, 12:27 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

thing is,its like anything,never ending if you wanna keep paying more more more etc,they are giving us £300,the hitachi is £350 or the LG £380,the only better bit on the LG i see is the better speakers ? (and maybe the build quality,but people have issues with all brands) but it has less veiwable screen

Buy LG 32LF2500 32in Full HD Digital LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .
Old 27 March 2010, 01:31 AM
Lisawrx

thing is,its like anything,never ending if you wanna keep paying more more more etc,they are giving us £300,the hitachi is £350 or the LG £380,the only better bit on the LG i see is the better speakers ? (and maybe the build quality,but people have issues with all brands) but it has less veiwable screen

Buy LG 32LF2500 32in Full HD Digital LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .
Just get what you want, as you say it could go on and on. Depends on how fussy you are I'd imagine.

We got a 32" Bush LCD TV a year or so ago for around £280. Might not be the bet TV in the world but it does the job and it's perfectly watchable.
Old 27 March 2010, 02:34 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Buy Samsung LE32B450C4WXXU 32in HD Ready Digital LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk

Although it's cheaper at RS...

Samsung LE32B450 | 32 inch LCD TV HD Ready Freeview | Richer Sounds

But it's best to get John Lewis to price-match RS to get their free 5yr warranty, although I doubt JL have any/many of these left.

Last edited by corradoboy; 27 March 2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 27 March 2010, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Only way to know is to read your policy or ring them up, or both.

Les
Old 27 March 2010, 12:12 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

get it from john lewis 5 yer guarentee tell them do you dont want vouchers you want the samsung le32450 from jl, we got on in the bedroom on the wall, its very good for the money, dont worry about the red line in the plastic you dont see it
Old 27 March 2010, 12:22 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

all they do is gie you argos vouchers,dont give a cash alternative or other place to obtain from,they do a like for like, they recommended the bush 32 but said i can get whatever with the £300 vouchers, a new blueray player for example instead,all they do is give the vouchers so cant get anything from another stockist unfortunately
Old 27 March 2010, 01:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd say it depends on the policy wording; We had an oopsy renovating my gran's flat; TV fell off the stand whilst moving stuff about. Her policy claimed "repair, or like for like replacement" It was a 28" Philips pure flat CRT (btw Bush CRTs are just low end Philips PCBs and tubes inside). with Dolby surround, 60watts output and a built in subwoofer.

This was a £800 TV new, and we had the reciept to prove it (which we had to send a copy to the insurer). First insurance offer was £250cash or £300 in comet vouchers. With a reccomendation of which TV to buy (Panasonic IIRC). This is where the bartering begins;

We went on Comet's website and noted this TV was not "like for like" in audio quality. Plus we could not find an exact "like for like" tv for that amount they were paying out. We accepted that it would have to be a flat panel as they no longer sell CRTs. And whilst most had a picture resolution that was superior, NONE had the same quality sound (i.e 10watt speakers and no subwoofer). The only TV Comet sold with a built in sub and matching audio output was a £2000 50" Sony. Obviously they refused to give us that (didn't want it anyway - too big).

So we said in order to get like-for like audio quality, they need to supply us with a seperate AV amp + speakers and subwoofer. This they did, and put another £150 on top of the payout

Then we noted our TV came with a proper cabinet as standard; LCDs/Plasmas don't. So we asked for a suitable cabinet, they agreed and added another £50 to purchase a stand

So to sum up; a £300 payout became a £500 payout just though some careful negociation. With that, plus waiting a few extra weeks for the new year sales, we managed to get her some decent kit. So take a good look at your old TV's tech specs; if there is anything that you can't get on the advised replacement (doubtful on a Bush TBH), have a polite word with them, give some sweet talk, and if applicable, make a point if you've never made any prior claims.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 March 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 27 March 2010, 08:25 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd say it depends on the policy wording; We had an oopsy renovating my gran's flat; TV fell off the stand whilst moving stuff about. Her policy claimed "repair, or like for like replacement" It was a 28" Philips pure flat CRT (btw Bush CRTs are just low end Philips PCBs and tubes inside). with Dolby surround, 60watts output and a built in subwoofer.

This was a £800 TV new, and we had the reciept to prove it (which we had to send a copy to the insurer). First insurance offer was £250cash or £300 in comet vouchers. With a reccomendation of which TV to buy (Panasonic IIRC). This is where the bartering begins;

We went on Comet's website and noted this TV was not "like for like" in audio quality. Plus we could not find an exact "like for like" tv for that amount they were paying out. We accepted that it would have to be a flat panel as they no longer sell CRTs. And whilst most had a picture resolution that was superior, NONE had the same quality sound (i.e 10watt speakers and no subwoofer). The only TV Comet sold with a built in sub and matching audio output was a £2000 50" Sony. Obviously they refused to give us that (didn't want it anyway - too big).

So we said in order to get like-for like audio quality, they need to supply us with a seperate AV amp + speakers and subwoofer. This they did, and put another £150 on top of the payout

Then we noted our TV came with a proper cabinet as standard; LCDs/Plasmas don't. So we asked for a suitable cabinet, they agreed and added another £50 to purchase a stand

So to sum up; a £300 payout became a £500 payout just though some careful negociation. With that, plus waiting a few extra weeks for the new year sales, we managed to get her some decent kit. So take a good look at your old TV's tech specs; if there is anything that you can't get on the advised replacement (doubtful on a Bush TBH), have a polite word with them, give some sweet talk, and if applicable, make a point if you've never made any prior claims.
Good post.

Mog
Old 27 March 2010, 08:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi

I did very similar, moved the tv, caught the carpet with my foot and dropped the set.

The ins company sent round and engineer/assessor to check it was fooked.

They could not replace the set with an idential model - Sony 28" CRT widescreen with Prologic, NTSC playback, etc, etc. costing some £1k a while back - tried to fob me off with a Bush 28" which did not have half the features and not a Sony!

Bush still (or at least used to 18 months ago) make a silver cased CRT 28"

I kep't on at them for quite a while pointing out it was not 'like for like', eventually they agreed an amount and i brought a LCD 32" for the money i got + adding in a little myself

Last edited by The Zohan; 27 March 2010 at 08:50 PM.