Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Neighbours dog - worried - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2010, 09:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Neighbours dog - worried - advice please

Our neighbours have recently got a dog, not really seen it before but heard the poor thing, it is left out during the day and sometimes at night. It looks like it has their shed to shelter in but howls a lot. This is not the issue.

Today our two girls where playing in our garden and accidentally managed to throw a soft toy into their garden. I stuck a not through thier door asking for 'bob' back and he was returned - shredded!

No one in at the house so i looked over the gate and there stood the dog, it looks must like all the pictures you see of dogs that are bred for fighting, it is not a mastif (i like mastiffs and know them to be excellent with kids) but smaller, wider and evil looking for want of a better expression.

I have heard them with the dog, i do not think they are hurting him but training him and it all sounds very aggressive - not a brilliant term maybe but the dog yelps and whines a lot when they are with him/her.

I am genuinely worried for the dog and also that this dog is being toughened up for all the wrong reasons - most importnatly i am concerned for thier kids, our kids and the neighbourhood kids if this dog gets loose. Speaking to a neighbour (the other side of their fence the dog has already broken down a fence panel and been in thier garden cr@pping all over it.

We do not know the neighbours that well, enough to say hello to but they keep themselves very much to themselves, do not get involved with activities in the street.

What to do?
Old 16 April 2010, 09:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont live in Peel Hall near Manchester do you ?
Old 16 April 2010, 09:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RSPCA

Tony
Old 16 April 2010, 09:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by J4CKO
You dont live in Peel Hall near Manchester do you ?
LOL, no!

Also i have been at home for two weeks looking after our kids, i have not once seen the dog taken out for a walk, in fact not seen it until today

It all feels a little odd, would be interested on other peoples' opinions - no dog haters please just what would you do, what is the right course of action. I am worried to let our two out in our garden at the moment in case this animal is a nasty piece of work and breaks through the fencing our side.

The dog is currently in their garden (where it has been all day) whining poor thing
Old 16 April 2010, 09:30 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

keep chucking sausages stuffed with laxatives over the fence - they'll soon get fed up with it and get rid.
Old 16 April 2010, 09:33 PM
coops1
Scooby Regular

Give the RSPCA a call mate, better safe then sorry and they wont and dont say who called them. They are the experts and not us. What you got to ask yourself is if the dog got out (say into your garden) and either your kids or someone else’s kids were out playing could you live with yourself knowing you had your suspicions and done nothing?
I love dogs and had two myself and some people do leave them out all day and night, not that its wrong in any way but not something I could do. No different to bringing up kids really, what one parent finds acceptable another does not.

Last edited by coops1; 16 April 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 09:33 PM
coops1
Scooby Regular

twice for some reason??

Last edited by coops1; 16 April 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 09:38 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Paul,go round and give them a good beating
Old 16 April 2010, 09:42 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

the shredding of the toy sounds like boredom.

I think you must goto the rspca and express your worries.
Old 16 April 2010, 09:58 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

^^^^ agreed. Shredded toy is nothing to worry about. Entirely well balanced, happpt and fulfilled dogs will chew toys to distruction.

Whining could be separation anxiety and or boredom. Could be hunger. Dogs tend not to vocalise pain unless it's very bad.

I'd be calling RSPCA to make sure it's not being neglected and take it from there.

If you heard our lot playing either with is or on their own the noises may make you think we were trainig fighting dogs. .

Can you get a picture of it and we can try and identify what it is ?
Old 16 April 2010, 10:00 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Nogood,your letting the side down
Old 16 April 2010, 10:17 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

yeah agree on the toy shreadding my dog is a big lump and shreads all soft toys he gets his paws on but aint got a nasty bone in his body and is great with kids and strangers but you should defo contact the RSPCA if indout of its welfare or intended use better be safe than sorry

Last edited by pinkypurkhardt; 16 April 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 16 April 2010, 10:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Nogood,your letting the side down
shuddit you slaaag!
Old 17 April 2010, 01:20 AM
wrx-kurt
Scooby Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	18072009067.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	3684

Name:	Image002.jpg
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	3685

Name:	kash shades.jpg
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	3686

Here is my lovely dog, can not understand people what get a dog and then just leave it outside. My dog is apart of my family and goes every where with me and the misses and kids. Her name is kash and is a japanese akita, being what she is i have even got the kids telling her whats right and whats wrong plus the kids feed her not me and the misses, as she is a 91/2 stone pure of muscle and they are used to hunt bears in japan. The dog has full respect for the kids and knows who is in charge. And if that dog next door does not get any sort of training or knowing it's place in the family, it will in the end do what it wants as thats all of it knows of. It's not fair on the dog and will grow up being a nightmare in which noone will want it, so will then live in a kennel all it's life. so i think you should ring RSPCA and try and give it a chance in life. plus their's kids involed.
Old 17 April 2010, 09:34 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

rspca is a must, you don't even have to give your name.
Old 17 April 2010, 10:34 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as above give the rspca a bell, they act on every report, there priority is animal welfare, if there is something wrong they will sort it
Old 17 April 2010, 10:39 AM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

Wrx Kurt she is lovely! My mum is currently sonsidering one

She's just worried about giving it enough exercise lol.
Old 17 April 2010, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I doubt that you have any kind of a case. You would have to be able to prove that they are mistreating the dog. Can you do that?

As far as the shredded toy is concerned, it was in their garden and you can't blame them or the dog for monstering it.

Les
Old 17 April 2010, 11:50 AM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default For Dogs sake

RSPCA, if you feel the dog is being mistreated.

Last edited by chris1scouser; 17 April 2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 17 April 2010, 12:33 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

RSPCA can/will do nothing unless there is clear evidence of mistreatment. And from what you describe there isn't

What you describe could be naive owners, or a style of training that does not meet your expectations.

I would like a concerned letter to the Daily Mail with a photograph of the chewed toy and I am pretty sure they will have you on page three.

Or maybe you could just go around and say that you do not think they are bringing up their dog correctly - get someone to video the discussion as that could be entertaining!
Old 17 April 2010, 12:35 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

PS to add - I can't believe how often Leslie and I are agreeing these days - soon I will be a grey haired nostalgiaist
Old 17 April 2010, 12:37 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
as above give the rspca a bell, they act on every report, there priority is animal welfare, if there is something wrong they will sort it
This is not correct - they will only act if you can demonstrate clear mistreatment. A chewed toy, crapping on someones garden and a bit of yelping is a long way from mistreatment.
Old 17 April 2010, 12:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

I would like a concerned letter to the Daily Mail with a photograph of the chewed toy and I am pretty sure they will have you on page three.
LMAO

I appreciate Paul's concern, but I agree with Les on this.
Old 17 April 2010, 12:48 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The RSPCA will visit the owners if you report them. They may not be able to do much else but it might make the owners think about their responsibilities.

We lived next door to a woman who had 3 pretty ropey looking cats. I reported her to the RSPCA who came out and had a word with the result that she took the poor things to the vets.

Steve
Old 17 April 2010, 01:04 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

SIMPLE - CALL THE RSPCA even if you are just worried. They dont mind investigating these things.
Old 17 April 2010, 01:36 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

Does sound a little to me like the dog is being mistreated, although maybe just lack of stimulation. Howling and barking constantly are dead sure signs of boredom.
I wouldnt worry too much about it being a banned breed or being trained as a fighting dog, cause its being kept outside. Most of those examples of dogs are kept inside 24/7 to raise anxiety in the dog.

I can totally understand your worry about your kids. People are all quick to say "My dog is a big soft lump, great with kids......." etc etc, but at the end of the day they are still animals. They are driven by instinct alone.
I am a dog owner, and my Duke loves kids, he will play with them all day, but being a German Shepherd, adults are wary of him, never mind kids just because of his size.
If Duke is out in the garden and the young kids are out next door i bring him in as the kids playing and shouting winds him up just cause he wants to play too. I know this, but others just see a big dog barking at kids. Not good.

Like others have said, id give the RSPCA a phone and ask advice. From your description, it sounds like they have got a dog and dont have the time/cant be bothered to look after it properly.
An unhappy, unexercised and unstimulated dog is a ticking bomb.

Last edited by YoungY25; 17 April 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 17 April 2010, 02:26 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
This is not correct - they will only act if you can demonstrate clear mistreatment. A chewed toy, crapping on someones garden and a bit of yelping is a long way from mistreatment.
i am not on about the chewed toy i am on about the possibility of mistreatment, they always check every report and make there own judgement, as to weather they feel the treatment of any animal is correct or not.
Old 17 April 2010, 08:01 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Common sense is all that is we need here, just do what you feel is best.

Remember abuse happens on many levels, and if you have not seen that dog walked once in the whole two weeks you have been home, then that would be one part of neglect in itself.

All the other issues could be put down to loneliness, boredom and having loads of energy BECAUSE of not being walked.

It can be a bit of a vicious circle, if the dog is ignored and not trained and looked after then it might just be a bit crazy when it gets attention.

Personally I would maybe visit a local rescue centre and just have a chat and see what info advice they can give before jumping in with the RSPCA. That way if someone there can give you some advice you will know you didn't just jump right in.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 17 April 2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Typos on my I phone
Old 17 April 2010, 08:40 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

I thought id just add that i take my dog out at about 4am every morning for a 3 mile run once a day. Maybe that owner does the same and you just dont see it getting out. Highly unlikely tho, given your explaination.

Things sometimes arent always as they seem is all im getting at.
People might see my dog barking at the kids next door cause he wants to play, and also assume he isnt getting walked and before i know it the RSPCA could be chapping me up
Old 17 April 2010, 09:39 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

This Defra website might help.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...elty/index.htm

Quick Reply: Neighbours dog - worried - advice please