Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Had an accident

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2010, 02:55 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an accident

Travelling down the dual carriage way into Sheffield .Ovetaking a lorry (the only other vehicle in sight) when I hear a loud thud. Something had hit the windscreen on the passenger side but it hit it with so much force the passenger side window had also cracked. So I managed to get the lorry to pull over has in my opinion what ever had caused it had come off his lorry although he denied it. At the side of the road is a 6ft wooden bearer broken in half yet he still denies it came off his lorry. So has anyone else noticed anything strange falling from the sky lately
Old 20 April 2010, 03:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im assuming its damaged the A pillar or something, **** me that could have been really nasty.
I wonder what will happen regards a claim? All the best and glad you are ok mate.
Old 20 April 2010, 03:32 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

I think the 1st point of impact was the windscreen theres a minute dink on the pillar and a hairline crack all the way down the passenger side window. Im uncertain has to what angle it hit the wind screen but like you say very lucky .I've contacted the insurance and auto windscreens are coming out on Friday to repair all the glass. The dink in the pillar will have to be removed by a mate as the excess on my insurance isn't worth me going through them to repair . Also I didn't see the wood fly off the back of the lorry so i'm buggered
Old 20 April 2010, 03:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It could have been thrown up from the road. If it caught between his driven wheels then it could have carried a great deal of force. If it came from the carriageway then I think that youll just have to repair it yourself: you can only claim if the driver was negligent and in that circumstance he wasnt (or at least: you certainly cant prove it).

If it came off the back of his lorry then he probably was negligent, but youd need to have either seen it: or at least found other similar pieces on the lorry, in order to have much of a chance.
Old 20 April 2010, 04:07 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

There were 3 other bearers on his lorry all strapped down similar to the one at the roadside. The officer said they had had trouble with young kids throwing stones at passing vehicles from the underpass as well as the footbridge although it was way past the foot bridge. Like you say I can't prove it was from the lorry so will have to put it down to experience.Luckily no one was injured which is the main thing
Old 20 April 2010, 06:39 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Christ
Glad you are ok
Old 20 April 2010, 06:55 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Christ
Glad you are ok

Cheers Lee
Old 21 April 2010, 12:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That is a nasty one. I do remember some time ago that a lorry driver was held to blame for damage caused by a brick which was stuck between the double rear wheels being flung out in the same way.

Les
Old 21 April 2010, 05:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

He isnt responsible for that though: unless he left a site with the debris between the wheels and failed to check where a check was reasonable. Insurance covers liability and libility derives from negligence. Running over something on the road (through no fault of your own or that you couldnt avoid) and then propelling that object into someone elses path isnt negligent, so theres no claim to make.

In this case I dont doubt that it came of the back of the vehicle though: and for that the driver certainly is liable.

Simon
Old 22 April 2010, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He was seen to leave the site with the brick stuck between the wheels Simon and so was held to be liable.

Les