Roller Coasters

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2010, 09:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roller Coasters

Anyone a Roller Coaster fan ?

I am but dont get the chance very often, so seeing as I was near Six Flags in Atlanta I drove over, had a go on Goliath their biggest coaster and its the scariest one I have been on, not used to the Negative G type crests, especially as you are just held in by your lower half, a lot of the older ones I have been on you feel sat in the car, felt sat on this one. Had to wait an hour but it was really worth it, total buzz, shame for the lady in the car at the back, there was a delay, turns out she couldnt ride as she was too big to fit behind the restraint, really felt for her, she looked gutted and her boyfriend got off as well, nobody jeered at her like I think might have happened at home, still, good motivation for a change of diet !

Went on one called Ninja as well, horrible, rough old shed of a thing in the manner of the old departed Corkscrew at Alton Towers, i.e. sort of first generation steel coaster, rough as a badgers **** and batter you around, not fun at all.

I want to go on more now, got the bug again, need another trip to Alton Towers to see what their new ones are like as not been for 5 years or so, plus what are any other good ones in the UK ?

I do find Alton Towers a bit grotty, there always seems to be an undercurrent there, didnt pick up on that at Six Flags, might me not being tuned in to the culture but it definitely felt more pleasant.

Did this as well, all good fun, apart from being winched up 180 feet and then dropped, the first drop was utterly terrifying but the rest wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ooNCcJV7TM
Old 02 May 2010, 09:06 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd like AIR at Alton Towers, but that was the newest ride at the time, but not sure how long ago that was (?) it might have been a few years ago.

There is a new one there called 13, but I don't know much about it.
Old 02 May 2010, 09:07 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not been on a decent one for a while, given the age of the kids I'm limited to legoland at the moment, but hoping to get to Thorpe park or Chessington this year and start inducting the 9-year-old
Old 02 May 2010, 09:13 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Speed appears to be my drug as opposed to fear but yeah, love coasters faster the better. Airs the best ride iv ridden at towers, rita wasnt open when i went. hoping to get back near the end of the season when its scarefest. oblivion is over rated, wouldnt mind a shot at 'saw' at thorpe park.

i think 13 is like a ghost train/coaster type thing from what iv heard. duno how true that is though.
Old 02 May 2010, 09:58 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I really like Air and Nemesis at Alton Towers, Air isn't a white knuckle ride though. Newish ones are Thirteen, Rita and Oblivion. Thirteen is a roller coaster with a surprise at the end - there are vids on You Tube if you would rather see what the surprise is.
Old 02 May 2010, 10:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I love Oblivion and Nemisis, just done them to death, used to go every October once all the kids were back, as the park was getting ready to shut for winter as you can generally just walk straight on.
Old 03 May 2010, 01:28 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Me & MrsD often to do the same thing, although the last time was when Rita was new.

We tend to stay overnight and catch the water park too
Old 03 May 2010, 01:52 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

If you like thrills, save some money.

Book a 30 minute session in an aerobatic plane.

Best thrill ever.
Old 03 May 2010, 02:47 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Air was introduced to AT in 2002, which is when I was last at AT. It was pretty good but I preferred Nemesis and Oblivion.

I used to have a season pass thing and would pop along to Chessington, do the rides there then jump up the road to Thorpe to finish the day off.

Last time I was at a park (Canada's Wonderland) was a fair few years back and some of the rides took their toll on me, think I'm getting rather old

Six Flags St Louis was good fun, Batman being one of the good rides (think it's a clone of Nemesis) there were some other coasters including a wooden one which was rather rapid. Halloween is a good time to go to the parks as well, as they tend to be open rather late and doing a coaster in the dark does add an extra element to things.
Old 03 May 2010, 09:07 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
If you like thrills, save some money.

Book a 30 minute session in an aerobatic plane.

Best thrill ever.

Sounds good, where can you do this?

Chip
Old 03 May 2010, 09:08 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Could anyone do this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHI0LDoSMY

I swear there would be a new Jackson Pollock 900 ft below if I went on
Old 03 May 2010, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I really like them, especially the ones that do rolls and loops. I know what you mean about the negative G though. I keep wondering if the retaining wheels on the tracks are properly adjusted!

Les
Old 04 May 2010, 10:19 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Not particulary a very big fan

However, I've been on the Rockin roller coaster in both Disneyland Florida & Paris.
And it was actually quite enjoyable after you get over the initial shock of take off
Old 04 May 2010, 12:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I tried the one at Walt Disney World when they had just got it running for the first time. It was a lot more extreme at first and it was largely in the dark, you could only just see the rails immediately in front of the car. You had no idea what was coming next and that was a bit disturbing.

They had to slow it down a bit and increase the lighting in the end to make it generally acceptable.

The one at Walt Disney Land in California was quite tame in comparison.

Les
Old 04 May 2010, 03:02 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Have you tried it since Les?
I can vouch for the fact that its mostly in the dark, and all you can really see are the road signs and the odd bit of track.

First time I went on it I sat at the front stupidly
I had another got sitting about half way which wasn't so bad as you could see what was about to "happen" to you from watching the cars further up

The Paris version is worse than Florida.
We'll at least it was about 3 years ago.
Its been probably 5 years since I was there.
Old 05 May 2010, 10:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had another go after they tamed it a bit Urban and it was certainly less frightening, but still bad enough to keep you awake!

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 11:27 AM
New_scooby_04

This always looked like a laugh to me...like an extreme version of oblivion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICyfb...eature=related

I'd turn the sound down! Accents are really annoying!
Old 05 May 2010, 11:46 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

We went to Alton Towers with the kids last year at halloween and really enjoy it. I have a real fear of heights but went on all the roller coasters so as no to be wimp in front of the kids.

As Air starts off and starts to climb up the first slope we were on the front car and all of a sudden there was a jolt and it bloody stopped. Now i am beginning to panic and when folk stopped underneath and starting point and laughing at the people " stuck " on Air i was sweating bullets
It turns out that some **** behind had got his mobile out and was trying to film the ride. After a telling off to the **** the ride began again and i made it safely back to earth .

We went on Oblivion and i made the promise not to swear as the kids were there but that only lasted until it hangs you over the edge and then i managed one loud f word before disappearing down the whole.

We got a copy of the dvd of our day showing us on most of the coasters that the kids still enjoy laughing at the look of fear on my face on most of the rides.
Old 05 May 2010, 01:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Speaking of rollercoasters....
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...On_Mumbo_Jumbo
Old 05 May 2010, 01:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
We went on Oblivion
Why the **** would anyone want to go on that?

Maybe its just me as people clearly do go on it, do they enjoy it - highly unlikely I'd say.
Old 05 May 2010, 01:59 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban

Maybe its just me as people clearly do go on it, do they enjoy it - highly unlikely I'd say.
I certainly didnt enjoy it but the kids wanted to go on it and we were at the park nice and early so there was no waiting for any of the rides.
Old 05 May 2010, 02:05 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
We went on Oblivion

Old 05 May 2010, 04:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What amused me on the Walt Disney World one was all the notices saying that you should not go on the ride if you have a weak heart.

Fat lot of good when you are sitting in the car strapped in climbing the first hill after the start which is where the notices were!

Bound to lose a few though, as my old instructor used to say!

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 05:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Somebody did actually die of a Heart Attack on the Goliath one at Six Flags but I suppose when you look at the number of people that go on it, its not that surprising, especially when you consider the additional stress. Somebody got decapitated after jumping a fence for the Batman ride to collect something he had dropped.
Old 05 May 2010, 06:02 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Anyone a Roller Coaster fan ?

I am but dont get the chance very often, so seeing as I was near Six Flags in Atlanta I drove over, had a go on Goliath their biggest coaster and its the scariest one I have been on, not used to the Negative G type crests, especially as you are just held in by your lower half, a lot of the older ones I have been on you feel sat in the car, felt sat on this one. Had to wait an hour but it was really worth it, total buzz, shame for the lady in the car at the back, there was a delay, turns out she couldnt ride as she was too big to fit behind the restraint, really felt for her, she looked gutted and her boyfriend got off as well, nobody jeered at her like I think might have happened at home, still, good motivation for a change of diet !

Went on one called Ninja as well, horrible, rough old shed of a thing in the manner of the old departed Corkscrew at Alton Towers, i.e. sort of first generation steel coaster, rough as a badgers **** and batter you around, not fun at all.

I want to go on more now, got the bug again, need another trip to Alton Towers to see what their new ones are like as not been for 5 years or so, plus what are any other good ones in the UK ?

I do find Alton Towers a bit grotty, there always seems to be an undercurrent there, didnt pick up on that at Six Flags, might me not being tuned in to the culture but it definitely felt more pleasant.

Did this as well, all good fun, apart from being winched up 180 feet and then dropped, the first drop was utterly terrifying but the rest wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ooNCcJV7TM

You have more chance of being kissed by the Pope, than getting me on that thing
Old 05 May 2010, 06:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, but being female you are bound to be a bit wimpy, blokes are as well but never underestimate the power of Bravado mixed with Testosterone when it comes to doing stupid things, anyway I would imagine its fairly safe, I figure that they wouldnt be allowed to do it if there were regular splat type incidents.

It was a buzz though, less daunting than the nine hours in Economy on a packed Delta 767 I have to endure in a few hours, really hope I manage to sleep, no getting p1ssed at the airport like last time, felt pretty wretched most of the way back
Old 05 May 2010, 06:41 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Economy? Wow! Respect

Old 05 May 2010, 07:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee247

You have more chance of being kissed by the Pope, than getting me on that thing
not if you are a choirboy
Old 05 May 2010, 09:21 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
not if you are a choirboy
Old 06 May 2010, 08:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There was a link once about some young lads being filmed on one . They were eating their lunch initially and their faces were a picture when it did some of the better moves, especially when it set off for a backwards loop!

Les

Quick Reply: Roller Coasters