Old 03 May 2010, 01:16 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03 May 2010, 01:22 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Yup read about this in the paper he has been shot three times got fixed up and went back in battle theater bigger ***** than me

Respect
Old 03 May 2010, 02:25 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stickymickey should send him that Bacon Sandwich,if he don't eat it atleast he can shoot it...

Remarkable shot
Old 04 May 2010, 07:03 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...mpressive.html
Old 04 May 2010, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Wonder why he had to aim left if there was no wind, unless it was a characteristic of his rifle of course.

Les
Old 04 May 2010, 02:13 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

20 inches in 8000 feet isn't bad (wish i was half as good)
Old 04 May 2010, 02:26 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

"One-hundred-and-eighty!"

Old 04 May 2010, 03:30 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Wonder why he had to aim left if there was no wind, unless it was a characteristic of his rifle of course.

Les
Probably ground levels. if your firing from a right to left slope the bullet will go left, and vise versa for a left to right slope.
Old 04 May 2010, 04:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Havent you watched Shooter? Even the gravitational pull on earth comes into play at that range

Impressive shot though. That said I did read a book a few years back called Sniper One in Iraq where british snipers were protecting a building from the roof. The iraqi's had spotters to get the distances for mortar attacks who soon learned the safe ranges where they were out of sniper range. That was until some yanks turned up with a Barrett and let the brits have a go. Boom headshot as the saying goes

Simon
Old 04 May 2010, 05:01 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Les

The Coriolis effect is an apparent deflection of moving objects from a straight path when they are viewed from a rotating frame of reference. In layman's terms, it means that long range fire (artillery shells and sniper rounds) will not appear to fly in a straight line from the shooter to the target because of the rotation of the Earth on its axis. Rather, the round or shell will appear to curve. In actuality, the shot is flying in a straight line but the turn of the Earth moves the target so it will look as if the round or shell is curving. Artillery gunners and snipers are well-trained to compensate for the Coriolis effect by actually not aiming directly at their target, but off to the side so that by the time the bullet makes it to the target distance, it has "curved" to hit the target.
Snipers are taught different things about the coriolis effect. If the sniper is shooting at (1760 yards = 1 mile) or more, then everything comes in to play. Humidity, elevation, temprature, wind, spin drift, and even the coriolis effect.

Last edited by Xx-IAN-xX; 04 May 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04 May 2010, 05:25 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

OK he took out two rag heads from approx 1.5 miles away

All we'll and good, but .................................................
Surely there is an element of luck to that given the whole aiming thing?
How many practice shots had he taken before the fatal blow.
He didn't just simply aim 6 foot high and 20 inches left before pulling the trigger?
Old 04 May 2010, 06:11 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban

He didn't just simply aim 6 foot high and 20 inches left before pulling the trigger?
On that day he probably did do just that. Otherwise the enemy will run away.

I've only done a little shooting, but you spend time learning tables for your weapon. That is, at a certain range you need to hold over by a certain amount. If you are really good (and he was) then rather than learning number parrot fashion you can mentally calculate the appropriate deflection you need.

That's what makes a sniper deadly. The ability to quickly assess a situation and accurately determine where to aim to get the shot right first time.
Old 04 May 2010, 08:00 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban

Originally Posted by Luminous
On that day he probably did do just that. Otherwise the enemy will run away.

I've only done a little shooting, but you spend time learning tables for your weapon. That is, at a certain range you need to hold over by a certain amount. If you are really good (and he was) then rather than learning number parrot fashion you can mentally calculate the appropriate deflection you need.

That's what makes a sniper deadly. The ability to quickly assess a situation and accurately determine where to aim to get the shot right first time.
i was on the battalion shooting team in my regiment and after many sessions of training on the range you would manage to "zero in" your weapon with incredible accuracy so that it was an extension of yourself. we used to regularly do a game on the range where we would have an egg fixed in the middle of the target which we would try to hit, after each shot the people in the butts (target end, protected obviously) would bring down your target and then raise it again with a luminous circle about an inch wide where your previous shot had hit, allowing you to make v.slight adjustments for wind/trajectory etc. allowing (fingers crossed) for you to hit the egg in the least amount of shots possible. this was done with a standard SA80 with magnified sight from a distance of 500m. nobody i trained with ever hit the egg first time. now granted, the weapon used by a sniper and the velocity of bullet is much better/bigger/accurate as well as the magnification of the sight but to kill outright from that distance 3 times on the trot is truly amazing as at that distance a matter of a millimetre or so of innaccuracy over that sort of distance would make a complete hash of the shot, not to mention the pressure he was underat the time truly amazing
Old 04 May 2010, 10:55 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

"Super Mag L118A1 - Fuc*ing you up from 1.5 miles away"

Good shot, although some will say not the longest....

Bisley run an open day now and again for the 1 mile club. Quite a test of skill for anyone who has never had a go.
Old 05 May 2010, 07:26 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

nice shot and some skill there. Makes you wonder at the skill these guys have and the difficult job they do
Old 05 May 2010, 08:12 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I know about learning your individual weapon etc - proudly I still have my marksman awards from my army shooting team days.

I'm just saying that there was a huge element of luck involved there - thats all.

However, fair play to all the guys out there.
Old 05 May 2010, 09:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Probably ground levels. if your firing from a right to left slope the bullet will go left, and vise versa for a left to right slope.
Never thought of that, but I see the point.

Amaxing to be able to aim with such precision over a distance like that.

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 09:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
The Coriolis effect is an apparent deflection of moving objects from a straight path when they are viewed from a rotating frame of reference. In layman's terms, it means that long range fire (artillery shells and sniper rounds) will not appear to fly in a straight line from the shooter to the target because of the rotation of the Earth on its axis. Rather, the round or shell will appear to curve. In actuality, the shot is flying in a straight line but the turn of the Earth moves the target so it will look as if the round or shell is curving. Artillery gunners and snipers are well-trained to compensate for the Coriolis effect by actually not aiming directly at their target, but off to the side so that by the time the bullet makes it to the target distance, it has "curved" to hit the target.
Snipers are taught different things about the coriolis effect. If the sniper is shooting at (1760 yards = 1 mile) or more, then everything comes in to play. Humidity, elevation, temprature, wind, spin drift, and even the coriolis effect.
Thats an interesting one too, I am well versed in the Coriolis effect from my job and never thought that might produce a significant effect in a bullet. Depends of course if you are firing N/S or E/W or in between, and the range of the shot. God knows how you can calculate the actual aim off when you are doing your sniper bit though.
Old 05 May 2010, 11:17 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

It depends on the situation, but spotters are used a lot on ops like this. The shooter cant do it all at once.

They will range the target, give other instructions in terms of wind and such like, talk with air controllers / fire controllers and give the order to fire - which is not often "Fire!" its usually "Send it". (or whatever they use these days!).

The really tricky ones are the counter sniper snipers.. those boys have their work cut out!
Old 05 May 2010, 02:30 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Sniper 2. Rag Heads 0.

Awesome!!
Old 05 May 2010, 04:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Would he not also have had a spotter who would have assisted in distance/elevation etc? Lonely job being a sniper sitting tight for days so takes a certain character to do that job and huge respect to the bloke.
I don't know how they organise it B2Z, that sounds like the most effective way of course.

However its done its an amazing bit of shooting.

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 04:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't know how they organise it B2Z, that sounds like the most effective way of course.

However its done its an amazing bit of shooting.

Les
In the news I think they said they had a spotter with him. No idea how all that works though.
Old 05 May 2010, 05:16 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The spotter is there for lots of reasons.

The main ones I already outlined above, but they are also there to provide cover for the sniper and give security, prioritise targets, and they also tend to be very good at building hides... some of them have even been known to make a half decent brew (ok so I will get a slap for that..)

Dedicated sniper teams are often made up of 4 people though - maybe even more depending how long they will be plotted up for.
Old 05 May 2010, 11:37 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
The spotter is there for lots of reasons.

The main ones I already outlined above, but they are also there to provide cover for the sniper and give security, prioritise targets, and they also tend to be very good at building hides... some of them have even been known to make a half decent brew (ok so I will get a slap for that..)

Dedicated sniper teams are often made up of 4 people though - maybe even more depending how long they will be plotted up for.
obviously another ex squaddy, snipers and close observation teams down side though is having to **** in a plastic bag and take it with you
Old 06 May 2010, 12:11 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I don't understand how it's possible from 1.5 miles away? Surely if you blink or breathe you'll miss ...

TX.
Old 06 May 2010, 08:54 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I don't understand how it's possible from 1.5 miles away? Surely if you blink or breathe you'll miss ...

TX.
I believe you do neither of these things at the point you add pressure onto the trigger to fire the weapon. There is a lot of training that goes into this stuff, and having had almost none of it even I was told to shoot at the same point during your breathing cycle every time so as not to alter your aim.
Old 06 May 2010, 11:02 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Is there anywhere you can go to learn to shoot a sniper rifle or is it a millitary thing only?

Old 06 May 2010, 11:55 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Gav, learn to shoot at your local gun club, then get your FAC then get your own (you can own 1 legally then).

If you google Bench rest comps or long range target shooting, you will get there, its just the civi version.

There are a couple of makers that will sell you the same model as sold to the forces. How good you get depends on ho much practice you put in.

When I was in the cadets and shooting regularly, I was putting in sub 6" groups at 1200 yards with next to no effort.

Quick Reply: What a shot!