Where the parties stand - Immigration

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2010, 03:26 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Where the parties stand - Immigration

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/p...ur&col3=libdem

This article from the BBC outlines each parties proposed philosophy for the control of immigration numbers.
So many lies have been told by Labour , so anything they say can just about be ignored.
Liberals are wets having weak policies and don't have the grit for the tough decisions.
So this leaves the Tories. Will they really clamp down on immigration numbers ? Does Cameron have the ***** to implement a very difficult issue ? Maybe. But a maybe surely is better than the other 2 alternatives.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:39 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The immigration argument will pale into insignificance over the next 12-24 months.

Public sector won't take cuts and pay freezes at all well. As the public sector has been under the kosh since Thatcher anyway.

Councils will have to raise more money themselves (again!) so council tax will go up.

J.
Old 05 May 2010, 10:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This campaign has been notable for the way that all the main parties have avoided telling us the real truth about our situation which is not completely plain to us at the moment. The overborrowing by NL is hiding the true financial problem and the parlous situation the country is actually in. They are all frightened of losing votes by coming out with the truth and what they would do about it.

The basic reasons for all this is the way that Flash borrowed hand over fist after he had ruined the strong economy which he was left by the Conservatives and ducked out of controlling the bankers such that we were dropped in the cacky by them when Flash had already reduced the economy to where it could not cope with the recession without borrowing the cash which our grandchildren will still be paying back!

As was said, I believe that we will have to face a very bad time comparatively in the near future.

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 10:17 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/p...ur&col3=libdem

Does Cameron have the ***** to implement a very difficult issue ? Maybe.
And this is where the problem lies. None of them have got the ***** to confront the issue for fear of upsetting some minority group or the human rights mob that seem to have to butt in everywhere these days.

Same with all the spongers on benefits , start hitting them where it hurts, they refuse a job then stop their money. You'd soon see a few of them miraculously recover from their bad backs or stress related condition.

The MPs and leaders should stop pussyfooting around and start doing the job they were put there for which is of course running the country. Like it or not there are going to be savage cuts whoever gets in and it will hurt a lot of people but it needs to be done to get the country back on its feet again.

Chip
Old 05 May 2010, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
And this is where the problem lies. None of them have got the ***** to confront the issue for fear of upsetting some minority group or the human rights mob that seem to have to butt in everywhere these days.
Nail...........hammer.........head.

Same with all the spongers on benefits , start hitting them where it hurts, they refuse a job then stop their money. You'd soon see a few of them miraculously recover from their bad backs or stress related condition.
Absolutely: start with those humungous families where the father openly states that he is better off on benefits.

And then introduce legislation that states that ANYONE having more than four children, (double the national average), unless a GENUINE religious group, loses ALL benefits, and must work to keep them, plus no child benefits after the third child whatever the circumstances.

The MPs and leaders should stop pussyfooting around and start doing the job they were put there for which is of course running the country. Like it or not there are going to be savage cuts whoever gets in and it will hurt a lot of people but it needs to be done to get the country back on its feet again.

Chip
Amen to that...........let the bad times roll, they have to sooner or later.
Old 05 May 2010, 11:40 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Nail...........hammer.........head.

Absolutely: start with those humungous families where the father openly states that he is better off on benefits.

Amen to that...........let the bad times roll, they have to sooner or later.
What about those poor folk who are disabled through having a personality disorder, surely we cannot send them out to work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ooze-bill.html
Old 05 May 2010, 11:44 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

UKIP seem to be the only party who are going to do anything serious about it
Old 05 May 2010, 01:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
UKIP seem to be the only party who are going to do anything serious about it
'UKIP and 'serious' those are 2 words rarely seen in the same sentence
Old 05 May 2010, 01:56 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
'UKIP and 'serious' those are 2 words rarely seen in the same sentence
I like the majority of UKIP policies, BNP have 'some' good policies but are far too right wing for me.
Unfortunately I can't see any way for UKIP to implement what they are promising, they are amateurs in a grown man's game to be honest.

But I don't think any of the major parties have the nuts to stand up to the real issues either. Benefits, immigration, illegal immigration (I think they are two different things), crime and policing and fuel tax are the big things I want sorting. So far no one has come up with a satisfactory answer to any of it. As far as I'm concerned anyway.
Old 05 May 2010, 02:03 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

At least 5yrs of pain Les

TX.

Originally Posted by Leslie
As was said, I believe that we will have to face a very bad time comparatively in the near future.
Old 05 May 2010, 03:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
At least 5yrs of pain Les

TX.
I've seen this same figure floated, and tbh, I REALLY don't see why Cameron wants it. It's a poison chalice: he will have to implement cuts and will be vilified for so-doing.. His party could be in the wilderness for years because of it.........

If it were me, I'd let Lying Labour have another go, and be seen for what they are, whilst being unable to say, "Not our fault". Although they HAVE blamed the global recession for everything, without ever explaining why WE went in so deep, for so long, compared to others, some of whom never went in.......Australia for one
Old 06 May 2010, 08:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Trouble is, if they do get in again we will go down the tubes economically and we will be handed lock stock and barrel to another corrupt organisation!

Les
Old 06 May 2010, 09:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I am just looking forward to welcoming my fellow EU citizens from Greece to start turning up in their 1000s

dl
Old 06 May 2010, 10:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Wish you had not reminded me of that!

Les
Old 06 May 2010, 10:21 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused by the whole immigration argument. There are illegal immigrants living below the radar working in jobs that some people wouldn't consider getting out of bed for. The there are immigrants with correct visas that are working and paying into the system and some people seem to want to get rid of them too. We then have asylum seekers who may or may not have been persecuted in their country of origin and some people seem to want to get rid of them too.

2 generations ago, my family belonged to one of those groups. I hate to think of them being vilified the way immigrants seem to be these days although I'm sure they were.

In the modern world there is an increasing degree of global mobility of the workforce. If this is the way things are going then would it be better to adapt to it rather than resist it?

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 06 May 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06 May 2010, 01:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I'm confused by the whole immigration argument.
So it would seem.......

There are illegal immigrants living below the radar working in jobs that some people wouldn't consider getting out of bed for.
You mean the ones now doing the "starter" jobs, and the student jobs British kids did?

The there are immigrants with correct visas that are working and paying into the system and some people seem to want to get rid of them too.
Ah yes, the ones who claim family benefits and send them, and most of their pay to Lower Crapania, or wherever they come from, before going back just after claiming their year's tax back. Net gain to the UK: nowt
Net loss: incalculable: NHS, schools etc etc

We then have asylum seekers who may or may not have been persecuted in their country of origin and some people seem to want to get rid of them too.
Ah yes, the asylum seekers from France, Belgium, Holland, Ireland, Sweden, etc? Because that's what the asylum rules say, you know? You MUST claim asylum in the FIRST country you come to after leaving the country you are claiming asylum FROM, NOT after travelling half across the world to the country with the most lax benefits sytem.

2 generations ago, my family belonged to one of those groups. I hate to think of them being vilified the way immigrants seem to be these days although I'm sure they were.
Surely that would depend on whether the country could AFFORD them at the time, had space for them, had jobs for them AND it's indigenous workers, whether they GAVE the country anything in return and whether or not they flouted international law to get here?

Last edited by alcazar; 06 May 2010 at 01:11 PM.