Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Remember to vote tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2010, 08:53 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Remember to vote tomorrow!!!

Whatever you do, make sure you put your cross on the ballot paper - think of it as a cross in return for the crosses laid out near the battlefields of France and Belgium, they died so you may vote in freedom.
Old 05 May 2010, 09:09 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably one post you've made I agree with
Old 05 May 2010, 09:18 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antc
This is probably one post you've made I agree with
The law of averages finally shines through!

I won't be wasting my vote either.
Old 05 May 2010, 09:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite right Pete and I shall certainly do that. Wonder how much longer we will have the privilege though!

Les
Old 05 May 2010, 10:09 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I will be voting .

Chip
Old 05 May 2010, 10:16 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Done it already via post
Old 05 May 2010, 10:55 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pslewis
Whatever you do, make sure you put your cross on the ballot paper - think of it as a cross in return for the crosses laid out near the battlefields of France and Belgium, they died so you may vote in freedom.

Agreed
Old 05 May 2010, 11:02 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I will be voting too. Just curious to see how many people will waste their time with a spoilt or wasted vote this time around.

Always curious what drives people to their choice of vote. Who looks at their local MP, and who just thinks they are voting for the actual PM of the country. Who votes on policy and who votes on party, and so on.

Whatever happens though, have your say, use your voice, and put your mark on this election. I will be up til the outcome is known tomorrow night/ fri morning lol
Old 05 May 2010, 11:18 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Taking the kids to school Thursday morning, into work and then back home in time to vote at the local village hall. The station is open until 10 p.m so plenty of time to do it.

*mental note to myself. do NOT park in the local village hall carpark in case my car gets towed !! *
Old 05 May 2010, 08:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Pointless.

I live in an area which has a massive Labour bias, there's no hope of the "****" getting voted out, so I await PR. Sadly I used to live in Haltemprice with an equally massive Conservative bias there.

dunx

P.S. No disrespect to our fallen heros intended.
Old 05 May 2010, 08:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Proportional representation is a red herring. It suits a party who sees that they get 40% or the vite but only 10% of the seats. If they got 10% of the vote but 40% of the seats theyd never mention PR again.

PR has no place in a constitutional democracy. We vote for an elected local representative and the party with most representatives forms a government. We do have proportional representation in fact: locally. A national' vote would only be appropriate for a president, and we dont have one of those, fortunately.

Proportional representation will only lead to chaos, hung parliaments, horse-trading and behind closed doors deals. Remember too that the environmental fanatics or the BNP will have a number of MPs that they couldnt hope to muster by any other means. Where these fools hold the balance of power who knows what concessions a foolish party will make to them to gain power.....?

As Pedro states - people died to defend our right to vote, as it is.
Old 05 May 2010, 08:50 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

dont get the whole voting by post thing.saw a piece on the bbc yesterday where a guy was knocking on doors with supposedly 12 people registered to vote by post etc
Old 05 May 2010, 08:58 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

So what do you do if (like me) you're working away from home all week and want to register a vote? That's what postal votes are for.

I'm not saying that it can't be (and is) abused, but that's what a postal vote is for.
Old 05 May 2010, 09:00 PM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

i know who i am voting for and it wont be any of the three top parties/players as they will all **** it up so i think its about time we all give another party a chance at the bigshot and see how they do after all i cant get any worse than it is with labour/idiots in charge......
Old 05 May 2010, 09:02 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8
Proportional representation is a red herring. It suits a party who sees that they get 40% or the vite but only 10% of the seats. If they got 10% of the vote but 40% of the seats theyd never mention PR again.

PR has no place in a constitutional democracy. We vote for an elected local representative and the party with most representatives forms a government. We do have proportional representation in fact: locally. A national' vote would only be appropriate for a president, and we dont have one of those, fortunately.

Proportional representation will only lead to chaos, hung parliaments, horse-trading and behind closed doors deals. Remember too that the environmental fanatics or the BNP will have a number of MPs that they couldnt hope to muster by any other means. Where these fools hold the balance of power who knows what concessions a foolish party will make to them to gain power.....?

our local donkey is lib dem and will get in again cos all the old farts vote lib dem round here ,, sad realy i can just picture him askinf for money for our area to a conservative goverment answer would be ,, right ok nick NEXT QUESTION PLEASE unless your county council is run by the winning party you aint got a hope in hell might as well bend over now and take the lid off the vasaline
Old 05 May 2010, 10:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8

+1

mb
Old 05 May 2010, 11:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

For such a sensible chap I despair at this post.

I don't care which party supports PR for it own self interest...thats not the point, we should not find ourselves in a position where a party with 35% o the vote ends up with a huge majority..never...ever.

The fact that it leads to hung parliaments is a consequence of a fair democratic process. If you purely want decisive governments then lets scrap elections and move to a totalitarian system.

BTW I don't vote for a local MP and neither do millions of other people, I vote for who I want to form a government.

For me this is THE issue at this election, and I pray for a hung parliament, as it will lead to electoral reform of some sort.

How anyone can claim that our current system is in anyway democratic defeats me.
Old 06 May 2010, 12:36 AM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

My vote was in the post last week as well

Looks like a hung parliament according to the latest polls.
Old 06 May 2010, 08:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

I don't care which party supports PR for it own self interest...thats not the point, we should not find ourselves in a position where a party with 35% o the vote ends up with a huge majority..never...ever.

The fact that it leads to hung parliaments is a consequence of a fair democratic process. If you purely want decisive governments then lets scrap elections and move to a totalitarian system.

BTW I don't vote for a local MP and neither do millions of other people, I vote for who I want to form a government.

For me this is THE issue at this election, and I pray for a hung parliament, as it will lead to electoral reform of some sort.

How anyone can claim that our current system is in anyway democratic defeats me.
A hung parliament is weak and useless, there would be no respect from other countries and our economy would go even further down the tubes.

The real democratic path is to vote for the local MP who will be reckoned to do the most for his constituency as was the original intent of our system and that he should not be forced by the whips to vote as his party dictates. Quite reasonable to belong to a party which is in government with policies that the electorate agree with but which cannot force its MPs to vote as the Cabal in charge dictates.

PR is not an answer to our problems, quite the opposite in fact.

Les
Old 06 May 2010, 08:46 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Coalitions work across the world .... it can work here.

What would be a disaster is a Tory majority ... luckily most people are sensible and will not allow that to happen.

Not sure what will happen in this one!
Old 06 May 2010, 09:18 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I just went to vote and I can't even find the bloody place. I know roughly where from the card but theres no signs and no angry mob of people wearing red socks.
Old 06 May 2010, 09:42 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

already voted at 7am this morning, good luck Dave!
Old 06 May 2010, 12:57 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

The difference is that we have personal representation; as opposed to our personal views being represented nationally. Not always the same thing. You have to decide which type of representation you prefer. Im for the former because I feel fundamentally that its right; backed up by the lesser reasons.
Old 06 May 2010, 01:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

All this talk of PR, hung parliment and co-olitions is making my head hurt, going off to vote anyway tonight
Old 06 May 2010, 01:19 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Voted this morning on the way to work
Old 06 May 2010, 01:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Come On - Anyone but the Toffie Nosed Tories!!!
Old 06 May 2010, 03:51 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

A good line in one of the papers today -

Cameron is living proof that the thick children of the wealthy now do better in this country than the bright children of the poor.