Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Global Knives... Any owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2010, 11:52 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Knives... Any owners here?

I'm getting married in a few weeks, and somebody has offered to buy me a set of these as a gift, (as long as I find what ones I want and then email over the item numbers etc)

I initially thought of John Lewis as that's where I have seen them and really liked them, but they are not the cheapest store, and I'm assuming that as long as they are genuine then it doesn't matter where they come from.

Can anyone recommend a decent outlet for these, that can be ordered on line with?

Also Any recommendations as to what knives would be a good starting point, I am going for a 11 piece knife block, and the carving knife and a chefs knife for general usage.

Cheers.
Old 05 May 2010, 12:09 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

You don't really need 11 knifes and a carving knife and chefs knife.

I've got a block of 6 Globals including chefs knife and thats plenty as they are very good.

You need to make sure you have a good steel for sharpening. Best to sharpen before each use, that way they stay nice and sharp
Old 05 May 2010, 12:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ive had a set for quite a few years now and theyve lasted very well. I bought mine off a reputable Ebay seller but even then the discount was only about £40-50 off high street prices. Global regulate their prices so you will be hard pressed to find a really good deal and if you do make sure they are legit.

Best saving will be to buy a set in a block just make sure all the knives are of use to you.

I bought a bread knife off Ebay but it was quite clearly a fake when it arrived so got a refund.

As for sharpening I only do mine every 3 months or so but depends how much you use them I guess. After asking on here I got the ceramic disc sharpener that Global recommend themselves and its so simple to use and restores them to razor sharp:

http://www.globalknives.uk.com/sharpening

Scroll to the bottom "water wheel sharpener". Was about £15 delivered from Ebay iirc.

Simon
Old 05 May 2010, 12:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Sorry the block is just the block without knives, I was wondering what to fill it with
Old 05 May 2010, 12:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I cant recall specific numbers off the top of my head but I use something like the G-2 Chefs Knife, G-3 Carving knife, G-5 vegetable chopper and GS-1 kitchen knife mostly out of my set. Again depends on what you will doing.

They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes so check the ones you want will fit your block. With 11 slots you should be ok.

Simon
Old 05 May 2010, 12:51 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I have just two really decent knives, made by Kasumi. One is a 20cm chef's knife, the other a 12cm utility knife, and it's rare that I want for anything else.

Keep them really sharp and that may be all you ever need too.

http://www.russums-shop.co.uk/knives...umi-knives-c74
Old 05 May 2010, 12:59 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Got a set of six with a holder in Costco, just shy of half the price I could find them anywhere else on the high street / Internet / etc.

Worth checking out if you have one local.
Old 05 May 2010, 01:05 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I have a set of globals. G666 set I think - or whatever was the closest thing back then. Comes in a very nice case, and I must admit they are nice to handle.

The water wheel ceramic wheel is a must. Takes 20 seconds to get them back to being sharp. You do 10 strokes on each wheel and its done.

Mine seem to stay sharp for about 8 weeks.

Had them maybe 5 years now and they are still looking very good. I would consider a ceramic set next time though.
Old 05 May 2010, 01:32 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I think a chef/utility/carving knife combo would seem to be a good starting point then, I might add one a month or something after that until the block is full.
Old 05 May 2010, 02:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Try them before you get them, I had a set of 3, but sold them to a mate. What I didn't like about them was the light, hollow handle, they are perfectly weighted mind, I just didn't like it.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:09 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A steel doesn't sharpen the knife, it simply straightens it's edge. On that note, Global claim that a traditional steel will harm their knives (there is some debate over this) and instead insist that a really expensive ceramic is used. I use the ceramic wheels on mines every now and again to resharpen them - as yet I've not secured a straightening solution (not that fussed tbh, they cut well enough as it is!).

All in all they are great knives. No doubt there are better knives that cost less. However, if you've never used proper knives before you'll be amazed how much easier all cutting tasks are with Globals. I get seriously hacked off if I ever tackle a kitchen job with cheap knives now.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:19 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm sort of it's more meant to remove any imperfections from the edge, any edge put under a microscope looks like a hacksaw.

Sharpening wise i use naniwa super stones to sharpen my cut throat razors, a nagura stone is recommended to clean off any swarf and costs peanuts, the stone cuts fast has great feedback and lasts ages.

Global as always is very overpriced but if it's what you want so be it.

http://www.fine-tools.com/naniwa-combination-stone.html

No more than say 3000 grit would be required for a knife, a straight can use anything up to a shapton 60k if needed.

Last edited by hux309; 05 May 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:36 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

I bought a set of six from Costco as well, excellent value (about half price, like Coffin Doger said) when you compared the individual prices in John Lewis or Selfridges.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:58 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Got a set of six with a holder in Costco, just shy of half the price I could find them anywhere else on the high street / Internet / etc.

Worth checking out if you have one local.
This is the set I got too and like you said it was half the price of anywhere else.
Old 05 May 2010, 05:45 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

This may sound like a daft question, but it's better to ask rather than mess something up, but do these sharpening stones/wheels etc come with instructions?

The last thing I sharpened was a chisel at school, and if I remember that didn't go to well back then.
Old 05 May 2010, 06:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
...No doubt there are better knives that cost less...
*nods*

Made in Sheffield
Old 05 May 2010, 06:47 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

The thing I don't like about Global knives are their grips, I personally like rubber grips. If you're clumsy (like me) go for rubber grips.

Don't laugh but I have a set of Ikea rubber grip knives and they're really, really good. Better than my 'expensive' set. It makes me seriously question whether we pay just for the name? (Yes to a degree IMHO)
Old 05 May 2010, 06:57 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all down to the steel, so long as it's quality steel it honestly doesn't matter who makes the knife, the name is just that.

I have £20 razors that shave just as good as my £250 vintage sheffield all because they both have quality steel.

As for honing just keep it simple if the ceramic wheels work for most users stick with that, stones are the ultimate but require experience so you don't bugger the edge up.
Old 05 May 2010, 10:40 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

I've got a mix of Globals, Henckels and Wusthofs - the Globals are definitely the easiest to keep sharp with their ceramic sharpener. The most used are probably the GS-3 and the GSF-15.
Old 05 May 2010, 11:28 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Best to sharpen before each use, that way they stay nice and sharp
Not sure I agree with that. My favourite knife by a long shot is a Global chefs knife. It retains its edge better than any other knife I have used and rarely needs sharpening. I use a Global ceramic which comes with a clip to keep the knife at the correct angle. A correctly sharpened Global is very sharp and superb to handle and use.
Old 06 May 2010, 08:56 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I'm getting married in a few weeks, and somebody has offered to buy me a set of these as a gift, (as long as I find what ones I want and then email over the item numbers etc)

I initially thought of John Lewis as that's where I have seen them and really liked them, but they are not the cheapest store, and I'm assuming that as long as they are genuine then it doesn't matter where they come from.

Can anyone recommend a decent outlet for these, that can be ordered on line with?

Also Any recommendations as to what knives would be a good starting point, I am going for a 11 piece knife block, and the carving knife and a chefs knife for general usage.

Cheers.
Congrats on the upcoming marriage mate

As for the knives, I have no clue, woman's job isn't it?
Old 06 May 2010, 09:04 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

By the way - you should NEVER get knives as a wedding present. Very bad karma!

It's tradition don't you know.
Old 06 May 2010, 09:52 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Scoobychick;9382024]The thing I don't like about Global knives are their grips, I personally like rubber grips. If you're clumsy (like me) go for rubber grips.[QUOTE]

I hear this a lot with people saying when the handles get wet they are slippery etc. Tbh Ive never ever found that at all as works fine for me. A blade is a blade and Ive no doubt there are better knives for pros but I find the balance of the knives to be excellents.

The ceramic water wheel sharpener global recommend is so easy to use and gets them back to the same sharpness as they were when new (I was sceptical myself) so I see no point in using a stone or steel other than to prove your manliness

Simon
Old 06 May 2010, 11:40 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

We've got a few different knives from various manufacturers including Global. Personally I find the G2 is the only one I ever use

MrsD is of the same opinion as Scoobychick about them though, must be a bird thing
Old 06 May 2010, 05:44 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
By the way - you should NEVER get knives as a wedding present. Very bad karma!

It's tradition don't you know.
eek didn't know that.

However google has found a solution..

"Let’s assume that you're positive the gift-giver didn't mean anything negative by giving you the knife as a gift, but you’re still feeling uneasy about the whole deal. On one hand, you may need a great knife set, but on the other hand who wants bad luck from their wedding day? Legend has it that you can help reverse any bad luck from receiving this gift by giving the gift giver a penny (at least) for the knife. This, in effect, makes the gift a purchase!"

sorted.