Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dumb question about PR

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2010, 04:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dumb question about PR

OK, so I can understand the principle behind PR - you get the number of seats depending on your proportion of the national vote cast.

But how are constituencies chosen? Can you end up living in a constituency where you have an MP who has not got the majority of votes in your patch?

dl
Old 07 May 2010, 05:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Basically, it's the same as we had when we did the European elections last(?) year:

The constituencies are much larger, requiring more MP's, up to 10. This doesn't mean more MPs in all, just larger constituencies.

Each party then fields a list of up to the same number of candidates as there are seats available.
After that, most countries use this:

The D'Hondt method of seat allocation is one of the simplest. Any numerate member of the public can work out the winner of an election without a computer, even purely through handwritten calculations.

The total votes cast for each party in the electoral district is divided, first by 1, then by 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, right up to the total number of seats to be allocated for the district/constituency. If the district contains 8 seats, the highest 8 numbers are chosen from all the numbers resulting from the divisions. The parties under which each of these 8 highest numbers were produced get the seat. These highest numbers are sometimes called the 'distribution figure'.

It is clearest when set out like this:

Example: 8 seats to be allocated, so divide each party's total votes by 1 - then by 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8. Each party's divided total votes come to the numbers set out below, called 'distribution figures'. The 8 highest distribution figures are *starred, ranging from *100,000 to *25,000. For each distribution figure belonging to it, the party gets a seat.

Party A: *100,000 - *50,000 - *33,333 - *25,000 - 20,000 - 16,666 - 14,286 - 12,500 > Four **** = 4 seats won

Party B: *80,000 - *40,000 - *26,666 - 20,000 - 16,000 - 13,333 - 11,428 - 10,000 > Three *** = 3 seats won

Party C: *30,000 - 15,000 - 10,000 - 7,500 - 6,000 - 5,000 - 4,286 - 3,750 > One * = 1 seat won

Party D: 20,000 - 10,000 - 6,666 - 5,000 - 4,000 - 3,333 - 2,857 - 2,500 > No * = no seats won
Old 07 May 2010, 07:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK, many thanks indeed for that which I have waded through. So we would seem to lose out on choosing an MP that you knew represented your own reasonable size area because constituencies would be so large. It would also wipe out the single protest candidate like Bell I suppose. And some smaller parties would never get a look in perhaps. dl
Old 07 May 2010, 07:51 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I asked that question today too. Thanks for the answer
Old 08 May 2010, 12:47 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

There's more chance of me sh*gging Megan Fox than there is of me understanding that ^^
Old 08 May 2010, 07:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It all seems pretty impersonal to me. I would rather vote for one person whom I know about.

Les
Old 08 May 2010, 10:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It all seems pretty impersonal to me. I would rather vote for one person whom I know about.

Les
But you will. There will be a list of names on the polling card, just as always. Each party will field approximately the number of candidates required for the area. They will be known to you, and the party will make it known to voters in which ORDER they will be selected for seats, should that party NOT win all the seats in a given area, (unlikely).

You then get MPs elected. Once elected they are MPs for that whole area, so if you have a problem that requires MP input, you approach your known one, your favourite, the best looking one , the one who is a minister, the one who is in the party you support, etc etc.

I don't see a problem? We do it in European elections, and the Scots and Welsh assemblies use it. Why NOT us?
Old 08 May 2010, 10:44 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I thought you had to vote for a first choice, second choice etc etc?
Old 08 May 2010, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't help the feeling somehow that is as resistent to fiddling as the postal vote.

Les
Old 08 May 2010, 03:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I thought you had to vote for a first choice, second choice etc etc?
That's the "transferred vote" sytem, nowhere near as common as the de Hondt method, which is used by nearly 90% of countries having the vote.
Old 08 May 2010, 03:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Can't help the feeling somehow that is as resistent to fiddling as the postal vote.

Les
Why, Les?

ALL the votes are counted, centrally to the constituency, as now. You have voted for a party, not an individual.
Parties must state who is standing, and what their order of preference, (in what order they will be offered seats), is, BEFORE the vote takes place.
Once the votes are counted, a simple calculation shows who gets how many seats...and as stated above, anyone with any maths can do the calculation too, so no fiddles there.

As I said, I don't see the problem?
Old 08 May 2010, 03:34 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I must admit, I like the current system, it seems much more fair to me. I want to vote for an MP. I dont want some one who didnt get the most votes elected.

Worked well for hundreds of years.
Old 08 May 2010, 03:41 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are lots of variations, amazes me the frenzy the public are in when a great many of them don't even understand the current system.
Old 08 May 2010, 03:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I must admit, I like the current system, it seems much more fair to me. I want to vote for an MP. I dont want some one who didnt get the most votes elected.

Worked well for hundreds of years.
Ah, but by the present sytem, we can have a GOVERNMENT elected that didn't get the majority of votes. How fair is THAT?
Old 08 May 2010, 03:51 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

But the people in each area get the MP to represent them with the most votes. The only way you could do the other is that if every constituency had the same number of people who actually voted.

Theres issues with all systems.
Germany has had to have party unions for all but 4 years since the war because PR doesnt give a clear winner more times than first past the post.
Old 08 May 2010, 03:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

True. As have most European countries.

Doesn't make them any less able to govern, and many have better economies than OURS, plus MUCH stronger governments.
Old 08 May 2010, 04:01 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a worry - This Pam Giddy leading a protest on behalf of Power 2010 has an affiliation with the Islamic forum of Europe. No wonder she is promoting PR .
Old 08 May 2010, 04:04 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
True. As have most European countries.

Doesn't make them any less able to govern, and many have better economies than OURS, plus MUCH stronger governments.
You cant put that down to PR. As more have crap economys.
But that may be due to being in the Eurozone and having their hands tied in trying to stimulate their own economy.
Old 08 May 2010, 04:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
You cant put that down to PR. As more have crap economys.
But that may be due to being in the Eurozone and having their hands tied in trying to stimulate their own economy.
Can't agree, since the ones who now have crap economies have traditionally ALWAYS had them.

I visited Spain and Italy as a young boy and their economies were pretty much third world.
Old 08 May 2010, 08:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Don't agree, Dave. The system IS broken, it gives us only a choice between two major parties, everything else is a wasted vote. How is that NOT broken?

If we get a few hung parliaments, so that parties have to toe the middle line, and stop all the nonsense like money for one legged lesbians, then good on it.

We might ACTUALLY get some decisions made for the good of the country, instead of to appease some lefty, or fascist's political leanings.

Long may PR endure, say I.
Old 08 May 2010, 08:52 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Some Nu Labia bloke on the breakfast programme this morning said that they urgently need to fix the broken system of our election process..... YOU'VE HAD 13 fecking years to change it, why have't you, you *******?!
Old 09 May 2010, 09:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The original scheme was to vote for the person you wanted to represent your own constituency in the House. Of course the party he is a member of is a major factor but that is the same for everyone and the comparatively simple system is just as effective and fair in my eyes.

Les
Old 09 May 2010, 09:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Some Nu Labia bloke on the breakfast programme this morning said that they urgently need to fix the broken system of our election process..... YOU'VE HAD 13 fecking years to change it, why have't you, you *******?!
Can't say fairer than that!

Les
Old 09 May 2010, 10:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ho ho! They were banging on about it last time they were out of power, just pre 1997. It was in their manifesto: change as soon as they were elected.

They got in, and it was quietly forgotten. Trust Labour as far as you could chuck them
Old 09 May 2010, 10:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The original scheme was to vote for the person you wanted to represent your own constituency in the House. Of course the party he is a member of is a major factor but that is the same for everyone and the comparatively simple system is just as effective and fair in my eyes.

Les
Don't agree, Les. In the present system, you can have anyone you want, SO LONG AS THEY BELONG TO ONE OF THE THREE, (AND IN SOME AREAS, TWO), MAJOR PARTIES. Not fair, or democratic, IMHO.
Old 09 May 2010, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Don't agree, Les. In the present system, you can have anyone you want, SO LONG AS THEY BELONG TO ONE OF THE THREE, (AND IN SOME AREAS, TWO), MAJOR PARTIES. Not fair, or democratic, IMHO.
Are you saying that I am not allowed to vote for an independent or one of the minor parties?

I know you are not, but if what they have to offer is of any use they will get voted for according to how the electorate feels about them over the others.

Les
Old 09 May 2010, 12:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No, Les, they won't. People know that a vote for anyone other than the main parties, is a wasted vote, so they don't do it.

Look at the PROJECTED vote for the LibDems, and their actual number of SEATS.

The system is bust.
Old 09 May 2010, 08:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

YOU'VE HAD 13 fecking years to change it, why have't you, you *******?!
Because this time they didn't get a majority.
Old 09 May 2010, 11:06 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

But under that PR system voting for small parties like English Democrats would still be a waste of time as the small parties with a vote spread evenly across the country wouldn't get any MP's

P.S. Italy has PR and has had 50 + governments since WW2 as no coalition holds together that long.

Also PR gives more power to small parties as they jump from one coalition to the other selling their support to the bigger parties.

and i think BNP were 5th in total number of votes? If so PR means they would have MP's and also possibly hold key votes for any coalition so we could see them get some of their policies implemented as part of forming a coalition.

PR seems a bad idea

Quick Reply: Dumb question about PR