Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do we decide our next PM?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2010, 08:22 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How do we decide our next PM?

I'll be most of us are bored by now with the wrangling and hagling over the weekend with talk of various coalitions. Back-room deals with political mandarins making concessions to people they would rather not share a room with. And for what? Are still don't have a working government.

To me it's clear cut how we can decide on our next prime minister. Each of the party leaders does a Top Gear power lap in the reasonably priced car. Fastest time gets the keys to no.10.

Any better suggestions?
Old 10 May 2010, 08:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Theyve only had a long weekend so far ....!
Old 10 May 2010, 08:32 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should stick with Gordon Brown.

I mean he has been our unelected PM for a while now, and after a General Election he is still our unelected PM.

Go Figure!
Old 10 May 2010, 08:43 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His duty is to remain as Prime Minister until it is safe for him to resign - there are rules to follow and he is following them. He is allowing time for the others to do a deal, which is highly commendable.

We had Darling defending our position in Europe at the weekend. Personally, I woul rather have him fighting for the £ in my pocket than that little boy, Osbourne!

It's a time for MEN not boys .... the Tories haven't any!!
Old 10 May 2010, 09:13 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Isn't it reassuring to know that Gordon is still everybodies interests before his own. He's all heart isn't he.

Chip
Old 10 May 2010, 09:18 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Any better suggestions?
A good old fashioned duel... pistols at 20 paces.

No matter who wins, the world will be two politicians short... which has to be a good thing!
Old 10 May 2010, 09:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
His duty is to remain as Prime Minister until it is safe for him to resign - there are rules to follow and he is following them. He is allowing time for the others to do a deal, which is highly commendable.

We had Darling defending our position in Europe at the weekend. Personally, I woul rather have him fighting for the £ in my pocket than that little boy, Osbourne!

Just as a matter of interest, how is it that you are able to assess Osbourne as a Chancellor?

Les

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2010, 11:09 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Just as a matter of interest, how is it that you are able to assess Osbourne as a Chancellor?

Les
And also to PSL, how is signing up to a potential £43bn liability to support Eurozone countries defending the pound??
Old 10 May 2010, 11:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I think we should stick with Gordon Brown.

I mean he has been our unelected PM for a while now, and after a General Election he is still our unelected PM.

Go Figure!
You would need a death wish to want that!

Les
Old 10 May 2010, 11:22 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Has anyone considered a Lab-Con pact, DC as PM and GB as chancellor?

I'll get my coat.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:28 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Old 10 May 2010, 12:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
How do we decide our next PM?
Deathmatch!
Old 10 May 2010, 02:15 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You would need a death wish to want that!

Les
My tongue was firmly in my cheek Les as you well know
Old 10 May 2010, 02:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Les
He has absolutely no track record in managing money. He would appear to have had very little involvement in his family business and on a personal level he is not without a certain level of sleeze - bribes and a russian oligarch

Vince Cable on the other hand does have previous and would appear to be quite clean on a personal level.

If the Lib Dems really put the UK first they would put Cable as chancellor as priority No1. This cobblers about a fair voting system is just a smokescreen to cover up the fact that no one really knows what to do about the elephant in the room (the debt).

On a side note it makes me laugh that there is a possibility that the 2nd and 3rd place finishers could actually end up winning the prize. Thats like handing Alonso and Vettel the trophies for Sunday and telling Webber to take a hike!

Last edited by EddScott; 10 May 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10 May 2010, 03:27 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

Would that be the same Darling that just signed us up to defending and guaranteeing the eurozone debacle with our liability running at £650BN ??

And the same Darling that advised on selling our gold at the lowest level ??
Old 10 May 2010, 03:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Would that be the same Darling that just signed us up to defending and guaranteeing the eurozone debacle with our liability running at £650BN ??
I wouldn't worry too much, we'll soon ask for it back! I would say that offer will be a bargaining chip when the UK has to go cap in hand to the IMF itself in the not too distant future.

Don't forget, we only have the IMF. We can't lean on our EU brethren to help us out of the merde.

I think our liability is 10% of the total.

Last edited by EddScott; 10 May 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10 May 2010, 04:08 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

10% is still way too much.
Being in europe is a bit **** isnt it, cant see any advantages
Old 10 May 2010, 04:16 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

The same Darling who as Transport minister was responsible for some of the worst mis-managemnet and harebrained schemes in recent years.

He oversaw the creation of Network Rail, the successor to Railtrack, which had collapsed in controversial circumstances for which his predecessor was largely blamed. He also procured the passage of the legislation - the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003 - which abolished the Rail Regulator and replaced it with the Office of Rail Regulation. He was responsible for the Railways Act 2005 which abolished the Strategic Rail Authority, a creation of the Labour government under the Transport Act 2000. Darling was also responsible for the cancellation of several major Light Rail schemes.
My favourite

While Transport Secretary he was voted Britain's most boring politician two years in a row.
Old 11 May 2010, 09:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
He has absolutely no track record in managing money. He would appear to have had very little involvement in his family business and on a personal level he is not without a certain level of sleeze - bribes and a russian oligarch

Vince Cable on the other hand does have previous and would appear to be quite clean on a personal level.

If the Lib Dems really put the UK first they would put Cable as chancellor as priority No1. This cobblers about a fair voting system is just a smokescreen to cover up the fact that no one really knows what to do about the elephant in the room (the debt).

On a side note it makes me laugh that there is a possibility that the 2nd and 3rd place finishers could actually end up winning the prize. Thats like handing Alonso and Vettel the trophies for Sunday and telling Webber to take a hike!
Its like comparing him to Flash I suppose, and look where he got us. I can't speak for Cable previous experience, I imagine that was commercially.

I still think it is unfair to condemn him out of hand, he could just as easily be better than Darling and he would have to really work at it to exceed Flash's achievements!

The pity is, none of them are putting the country first, their only aim is to hold on to or to achieve power.

I agree with your final paragraph of course.

Les
Old 11 May 2010, 09:30 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

It looks like our next PM will be decided by the dictator Gordon Brown. The Tories won most seats but it looks like the party with the least number of seats are going to gain power. Another unelected PM in charge i'm off to Zimbabwe
Old 11 May 2010, 10:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't say too much when you get there then.

Les