Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

broke my toe!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2010, 12:24 AM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke my toe!!!

not happy! i broke my big toe this morning done it by running into my front room and stubbing my tow on the sofa.

anyone here every done this, and how long did it take to heal?

had it x rayed and its fractured near where the toe meets the foot, on the knuckley bit above the ball of my foot.

on a subaru related note, it hurts like FK when i drive
Old 13 May 2010, 12:42 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Sorry

Other half broke his big toe 6 months ago. Horse stood on it. He left it and ended up having an op to put things right.
At least you had the savvy to go to the hospital.
His took about 4 weeks to heal, sorry
Old 13 May 2010, 12:42 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

double post, again
Old 13 May 2010, 09:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Yes, coffee table and small toe colllision, diagonal fracture! Other half moved the table when she went to bed, i came down in the dark and plowed into it at full steam!

I take it the broken toe is now strapped to the next toe for support?

It hurt like hell, i did not realise just how hard my toes worked to keep me balanced until i broke one.

I had pain killers for a week or so, driving was real difficult, had to swap into an auto for the first week so i could drive (left little toe broken)

You have to rest it to get it to mend, if it is hurting when you do stguff then it is the bodies way of saying STOP!
Old 13 May 2010, 09:05 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blue
anyone here every done this, and how long did it take to heal?

Yep - guilty as charged.
Done something similar, I remember the pain
I went to bed with it broken - b@stard was as sore as can be.
Next morning - got up, foot had turned black and as soon as I put weight on it I fell!

It'll took about 3 weeks for mine to be sort of back to normal.
I also broke my ankle years ago - now I can tell you that is substancially more painfull!
I've found that the really cold weather irritates the hell out of that toe and ankle
Originally Posted by 99blue
it hurts like FK when i drive
Yep - I can related to that.
Which side did you wreck - left or right.

My toe break was on right - so it hurt like hell when you needed to brake.

However - broken ankle was left foot.
Now whilst that wasn't sore afterwards as such, but if my foot was damp the plaster used to skid off the clutch
Old 13 May 2010, 09:12 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I broke my big toe back in March and its still hurts ! I didnt bother going to the hospital as the 7 hour wait seemed more painful than the actual injury.

There's not much you can do for it really, apart from strap the chap to the next toe for support.

Looking at the injuried toe, its still wider than my other big toe, and I still cant truely it move it like I could.

However, 3 weeks later, after breaking my right toe, I then fractured my left big toe. So for a few weeks I walked everywhere looking like I needed a crap :-)

SBK
Old 13 May 2010, 09:13 AM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

I broke mine slipping off the bottom stair and landing big toe vertically first, heard it snap and led on the floor in agony for 10 minutes crying like a girl

Stupidly didn't go to hospital, took over a month for the major pain when walking to stop. Hasn't healed properly still, have to put more weight on the outside of my left foot when walking.

That was 2 years ago
Old 13 May 2010, 09:14 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think I actually broke mine but about a year or so ago we went on a bike ride and I went to hop onto the curb and somehow managed to get a wheel stuck and the bike just disappeared from underneath me and I landed awkward.

I have not heard my wife laugh that hard before or since or for as long - she later tried to explain to a friend and had to call her back because she couldn't talk through the laughter. When it gets mentioned even now she can't help herself.

My toe was swelled and went purple and I wore trainers for a couple of weeks. Its still bigger than the other one and even now if I knock it in the right place its painful.
Old 13 May 2010, 09:15 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

C*CK
Old 13 May 2010, 09:18 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simon K
I broke my big toe back in March and its still hurts ! I didnt bother going to the hospital as the 7 hour wait seemed more painful than the actual injury.

There's not much you can do for it really, apart from strap the chap to the next toe for support.

Looking at the injuried toe, its still wider than my other big toe, and I still cant truely it move it like I could.

However, 3 weeks later, after breaking my right toe, I then fractured my left big toe. So for a few weeks I walked everywhere looking like I needed a crap :-)

SBK
I bet the walking was funny alright

However, its probably best to go to hospital because as least they can make sure it will heal properly if nothing else.
Old 13 May 2010, 09:41 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I should go and have it checked, as Ive got a suspicion that my right toes hasnt heal properly. I just cant be 4rsed with the wait times.

SBK
Old 13 May 2010, 09:52 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Broke my second toe, whatever its called, getting into the shower. Don't think it was badly damaged, as the discomfort went away after about two weeks.

Looks like mornings are biggest cause of these!
Old 13 May 2010, 10:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about it. No idea how long it will take to heal, but you will probably need to keep the pressure off it as much as possible.

I never stand near a horse, they can't feel it if they stand on you!

Les
Old 13 May 2010, 10:29 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Sorry to hear about it. No idea how long it will take to heal, but you will probably need to keep the pressure off it as much as possible.

I never stand near a horse, they can't feel it if they stand on you!

Les
Always be careful feeding them as well some silly holidaymaker lost her finger here a while back.The horse Probably thought it was a carrot.
Old 13 May 2010, 01:34 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Not a toe as such...

Ran out of bed to get the phone, not realising I had a semi-dead leg. Put my foot down but the foot had sort of dragged along the carpet, so the toes were dragging under the foot. Still hadn't realised, so I put my full weight on it.

I fell on top of it, it hurt like hell and there was a horrible crunch noise.

Large lump appeared on the outside, top of my foot during the next couple of hours.

I called the NHS hotline. We decided it wasn't broken as there was insufficient swelling, "only" 1/2 a ping pong ball size... Took pain killers, went to the doctors the next day and got pain killers.

It also irritated a bunion I've got on my big toe joint. Took about 18 months before everything felt right enough to exercise properly. Though with comedy cramps in the underside of my foot every time I got off a bike and put my foot on the ground.

J.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:17 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Did almost exactly the same last year - caught the wife's stepping machine with my left little toe walking along the landing. Heard it snap and looked down to see it sticking out almost at a right angle. Not sure if i was in shock but i gave it a tug to try and put it right in case it was just dislocated but had to stop after three attempts as it was getting a bit sore!

Ended up visiting the localish cottage hospital so they could try giving it a tug but they couldn't straighten it either (lovely nurses though and free gas and air) so had to trek to Swindon and a 4 hour wait in casualty. Bloody cheeky doctor asked if i had kicked something in anger (was looking quite likely that he might be the one getting kicked at this point) but he did eventually give me a jab and a tug... He was bracing himself with one foot on the end of the bed trying to pull it straight, got it more or less how it should be eventually though. Once that injection had worn off the pain REALLY started to kick in.

All they do is strap it to the next two or three to keep it still, so if yours is straight then just do it yourself and stock pile cocodamol and beer for a week or two. Should be alright but a bit weak/twingey after 6 weeks or so.

Roy.
Old 13 May 2010, 04:49 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

my nurse said because it was my big toe she cant strap it. so i just gotta rest it.

Old 13 May 2010, 04:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Yeah i did this, same time i started a new job that was pretty intensive on the feet, i just sucked it up and bought a LOT of painkillers.

To be honest it was a bit of a nightmare, once i took my boot off to check it during the day and struggled to get it back on

The problem i had, was that i had a bit of debt, it was a reasonably well paid job for me at the time, and the only way into the company is to be a temp to prove yourself

So i had no choice, proper soldier me like

Last edited by StickyMicky; 13 May 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 13 May 2010, 07:42 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
To be honest it was a bit of a nightmare, once i took my boot off to check it during the day and struggled to get it back on
That was probably the worst bit - wearing sandals for three weeks!
Old 13 May 2010, 07:47 PM
SiofChester
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I broke my big toe mountain biking and it hurt for MONTHS afterwards. Nothing they can do about it, just gotta get on with it I'm afraid
Old 14 May 2010, 12:08 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiofChester
Yeah, I broke my big toe mountain biking and it hurt for MONTHS afterwards. Nothing they can do about it, just gotta get on with it I'm afraid
Same here. It hurt for months. It left my toe nail to grow back disfigured. After 10 years or so, it started to throb with pain like hell again. On my repeated visits to my GP, he got rid of me by giving me some tablets to cure fungus (?) on the toe. Scholls sold me some cream to rub on it, which made the pain far worse. Eventually, a local chiropodist sorted my disfigured, ingrowing toe nail (with a dead mass of hard skin under it) by trimming the nail well, and told me to come off those toxic antifungal tablets straight away. My toe is fine now, but the moral of the story is that toe breaking can cause complications even after years, which may seem minor, but they can be very uncomfortable to live with.
Old 14 May 2010, 12:13 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I once had a broken heart.

That was fixed my a good dose of *****

I dare say the same may help your toe. Or at least take your mind off it
Old 14 May 2010, 08:23 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Mmm interesting cure ScoobyWont, might have to try that.

After breaking my toes, I had to wear Nike trainer boots to work., as my shoes hurt my toes. I brought myself a pair of black nike boots ( £70 though ! ), and wear them now.

In a childish why, it sort of reminds me of my school days, wearing trainers with my school uniform :-) Even though my toes are fixed, well they dont hurt now, I definately not going back to shoes as I love these boots !

SBK
Old 14 May 2010, 08:52 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'm really sorry to be unsympathetic, but this thread has tickled me to bits.
You lads seem fated to have broken toes
Old 14 May 2010, 09:31 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I have freaky big toes anyway, and i only found out they were not normal 2 years back

I was at a family party when my uncle mentioned "the Owensey big toe"
I was like WTF???

All the Owens in the family have big toes that point upwards slightly instead of lieing flat on the floor, FWIW i thought all p[eople had toes like this, but apparently "normal" folk have ones that lie flat when standing (the freaks )

I walked into the living room and said " what is all this about the Owensy big toe " to what turned out to be a creased up audience, i was genuinely shocked, and they all thought i was winding them up and always knew about it
Old 14 May 2010, 09:36 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ps. jesus sandals and nike footwear would have been utter bliss when i broke mine

Had to wear steel toecap safety boots as i was working a busy as hell robot, spraying car seat fabrics with glue, which then needed transferred to 4 press machines every 60 seconds.

I can remember recracking it after a few weeks when i nearly tripped over, ouch!
Old 17 May 2010, 12:11 AM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

i have saved so much money on petrol this past 4 days!!

weird thing is my toe is feeling much better, can now walk on it without limping, movement is good with just a little pain.

thing i don't understand is i saw the xray and there was clearly a fracture/break but it doesn't feel that bad now and it aint even been a week....any doctors on here? lol
Old 17 May 2010, 09:15 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Yeah i am a doctor in toes

Dont push it, as it hurts like ****ery if you rebreak it
Old 17 May 2010, 09:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have never met a toe doctor!

Les
Old 20 May 2010, 04:03 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Well I've never damaged my toes before but last night I managed to do this http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...2/P1000304.jpg

I can't walk on it

Quick Reply: broke my toe!!!