Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anyone have an HTC Desire, i`m after an opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2010, 02:06 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have an HTC Desire, i`m after an opinion.

I`m considering the HTC Desire, has anyone bought one ? If so what is your opinion ?

How does it stack up against the Nexus One and the iphone ? I`m trying to stear clear of an iphone as it seems like every hunt has one
Old 13 May 2010, 02:15 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Every 'hunt' has one because they're GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! (copyright - Tony the Tiger, Frosties)
Old 13 May 2010, 02:28 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

try using search.
Old 13 May 2010, 02:33 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Just got one a few days ago.

Seems very good. Nice to handle, easy to use. Never had a smart phone before so cant compare.

The only thing I have noticed is wi-fi does not have a very good rx. If you go more than 30 ft from the router / ap then it can drop out.

I suspect the antenna is configured for vertical use so probably has a good old loss when you rotate it - and my fat hands prob dont help.

But other than that seems all good. Battery lasts a while - on the first day I had it I think I got a full 24 hrs out of it.

Apps are great, easy to download and install.

My only other "issue" is you cant watch BBC news live etc. But there is an app that lets you listen to the radio live and watch other BBC progs - just not live.

I installed ZAGG Invisisheild last night - looks pants - but seems to have a half decent chance of protecting the phone if I drop it.

Now, back to playing on throttle copter....
Old 13 May 2010, 02:34 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

For the record, the Desire is the next step up from the Nexus one. HTC made the Nexus one for google, then brought out the own version. It has slightly more ram and a better UI (In my opinioon and many others)
Old 13 May 2010, 02:49 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

if you're getting a non-iphone coz everyone else has an iphone, you're an idiot.

i actually saw a Desire the other day to play with. very quick, great screen - it certainly puts the current iphone in its place.

the big competition for android phones at the moment is iphone's app base. the iphone app repository is all in one accessible place and that's a very powerful paradigm.

june will see the next iphone released and, once again, iphone will lead again. Not trying to be fanboy about it, but with the same hardware spec as the Desire and 4 or 5x the applications available, android is still playing catchup.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:15 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Just got one a few days ago.

Seems very good. Nice to handle, easy to use. Never had a smart phone before so cant compare.

The only thing I have noticed is wi-fi does not have a very good rx. If you go more than 30 ft from the router / ap then it can drop out.

I suspect the antenna is configured for vertical use so probably has a good old loss when you rotate it - and my fat hands prob dont help.

But other than that seems all good. Battery lasts a while - on the first day I had it I think I got a full 24 hrs out of it.

Apps are great, easy to download and install.

My only other "issue" is you cant watch BBC news live etc. But there is an app that lets you listen to the radio live and watch other BBC progs - just not live.

I installed ZAGG Invisisheild last night - looks pants - but seems to have a half decent chance of protecting the phone if I drop it.

Now, back to playing on throttle copter....
Thanks, thats exactly what i was after.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:18 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
the big competition for android phones at the moment is iphone's app base. the iphone app repository is all in one accessible place and that's a very powerful paradigm.
A mate of mine has the iphone, he said that a lot of the apps on the iphone apps base are a bit gimmicky and not really much use, obviously some of the apps are very useful.

I just prefer to be different from the crowd and the HTC Desire as a phone appeals, i`m sure their apps base will grow in time as well.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
A mate of mine has the iphone, he said that a lot of the apps on the iphone apps base are a bit gimmicky and not really much use, obviously some of the apps are very useful.
And Android apps are different? No, they try to be exactly the same and for good reason. The difference is there are more gimmicky and more useful apps on the iPhone/iPad/iPod and they're as easy to access as your music, books, pictures, movies...

I had to give a lesson to my HTC owning friend this morning on connecting to his Laptop, he can use his iPod just fine but couldn't work Android out. I waived the charge as he made the tea.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:47 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Htc are **** buy a iPhone ( this statement is not factual)

people have said good things about the htc but from only people I know who haven't had a iPhone.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:47 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Htc are **** buy a iPhone ( this statement is not factual)

people have said good things about the htc but from only people I know who haven't had a iPhone.
Old 13 May 2010, 04:04 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Yeah gimmicky....

I VPN onto our corp. network and telnet to our Cisco routers from my iPhone

I navigate with the Excellent CoPilot (amazing value satnav!)

Stream Audio with TuneIn Radio (DI.FM and Radio1 among others)

And I squash zombies with plants using Plants vs Zombies

OK... the last one was gimmicky
Old 13 May 2010, 04:08 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
And Android apps are different? No, they try to be exactly the same and for good reason. The difference is there are more gimmicky and more useful apps on the iPhone/iPad/iPod and they're as easy to access as your music, books, pictures, movies...

I had to give a lesson to my HTC owning friend this morning on connecting to his Laptop, he can use his iPod just fine but couldn't work Android out. I waived the charge as he made the tea.
You plug it in and then it connects. Exactly the same as on an iphone or ipod.

If you want to tether you choose tether in the options. If you want it as a hard drive you click the button on the shortcut menu. If you want to sync you click on the same shortcut menu.
Old 13 May 2010, 04:11 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

All sounds a bit complicated to me.

Bring back the days of pushing a dial round for each number and then getting it wrong on the last one.... B#*%*€D!!
Old 13 May 2010, 04:24 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I take it the only 2 colours that are available on the HTC desire are brown or silver ? I read that Orange have a black version but apparently thats specific to Orange, i`m on Vodafone so that wouldn`t be much use really, i`d prefer the black version though.

The one on the right is actually brown.

Old 13 May 2010, 04:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
You plug it in and then it connects. Exactly the same as on an iphone or ipod.

If you want to tether you choose tether in the options. If you want it as a hard drive you click the button on the shortcut menu. If you want to sync you click on the same shortcut menu.
You don't believe that, even as a salesman you can't believe that. Even the best phone in the world needs iTunes to sync and you're telling me that Android does it without any software and it's truly plug and play, on Windows? And what about Mac?

Mounting isn't something that Windows users know about, new concept that required the correct answer, simple for me, confusing for others. That was just the start. Compared to a Blackberry it worked well, compared to an iPhone it was a fair bit tricker and still didn't work as well.

Don't let this put people off, you will love your Desire, Android is great.
Old 13 May 2010, 05:15 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

You don't believe that, even as a salesman you can't believe that. Even the best phone in the world needs iTunes to sync and you're telling me that Android does it without any software and it's truly plug and play, on Windows? And what about Mac?

Mounting isn't something that Windows users know about, new concept that required the correct answer, simple for me, confusing for others. That was just the start. Compared to a Blackberry it worked well, compared to an iPhone it was a fair bit tricker and still didn't work as well.

Don't let this put people off, you will love your Desire, Android is great.
Well, yes i do believe that as i do it all the time. The first time you connect it, you can install the software needed from the phone(the setup files are pre-loaded on the memory card) or you can download it. The same as you download itunes.

But with no software you can plug it in, and then you could mount it as a hard drive, or you could choose tethering. If you want to sync contacts etc then you will need the software to do so, or you can use the phone to upload them all to your google account without going any where near a computer.

I have never tried to connect it to my mac.

"the best phone in the world" does not exist mate. Niether does the best car, the best song or the best computer etc. Everybody is different and has different needs.

Do you think for 5 minutes you could Give it all a rest, chill out a bit, and have reasonable grown up debates with people without insulting them, or getting all edgy if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion?

There are far too many threads about phones as it is, and you always seem to be in them defending apple as if it was your family.

All the phones in the top 5 are clearly great phones, that's why they're in the top 5, but if people compare how they work or the features they have, you start telling them that they're wrong, and apple is best.
Old 13 May 2010, 05:56 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

There's a lot of bollocks being spouted in this thread. I'd ignore all of it and try somewhere like

gizmodo
theregister
techradar
etc
etc
Old 13 May 2010, 07:47 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
"the best phone in the world" does not exist mate.
It does, its called iPhone
Old 13 May 2010, 08:09 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
It does, its called iPhone
But you can't customize it like you can with mine
Old 13 May 2010, 08:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Reminds me of the Golf advert. I can see customised phones crying all over the country.
Old 13 May 2010, 08:16 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of the Golf advert. I can see customised phones crying all over the country.
Old 13 May 2010, 08:16 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I have a Desire and I cant fault it. The only app I've downloaded is the Google maps upgrade as you can now use it as a full satnav on Android phones. Seriously, unless you have a Mac and/or use Itunes and need the total integration you would get with an Iphone then I reckon you couldn't buy better. It really does rock.
Old 13 May 2010, 08:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'd love the maps application, fingers crossed it arrives on the iPhone soon or I'm dual booting.
Old 13 May 2010, 09:03 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I'd love the maps application, fingers crossed it arrives on the iPhone soon or I'm dual booting.
I doubt it will be long Jack. In fact you'll probably get it when all the little gliches have been ironed out. clicky
Old 13 May 2010, 09:46 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Yer I can see how it could be confusing plug cable in desire, plug cable in pc!

its always good to know I can plug my desire into almost any PC as the micro sd cable is so common (cameras other smart phones)I prefer it instead of the 700 pin apple ipod cable that seems to change every time they bring a model out.
Old 13 May 2010, 09:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I remember the iPod cable changing from Firewire to USB, that was about ten years ago I think, has it changed again? And what's a micro sd cable? I might need one to rescue the next Android user.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:43 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I remember the iPod cable changing from Firewire to USB, that was about ten years ago I think, has it changed again? And what's a micro sd cable? I might need one to rescue the next Android user.
Here this explains it http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE55S1XZ20090629

Briefly it says all major phone companies have signed an agreement to use Micro USB........
Old 14 May 2010, 11:29 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Its realy not complicated to sync an android phone mate. plug and play. job done. Infact my internet failed last night so i just plugged my phone in and within seconds i was tethering. didn't go near any software.

Don't get why you or your friend found it difficult.
Old 14 May 2010, 12:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Plug and Play. Hardly.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have an HTC Desire, i`m after an opinion.