Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Strimmers?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2010, 10:01 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to post the same thing spooky! I am looking for one that will do the brambles at the bottom of the garden as well.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:05 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure which one you should get, but avoid the Flymo Multi 200 at all costs

That's what we've got, and it's quicker with a knife and fork
Old 14 May 2010, 10:52 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I was going to post the same thing spooky! I am looking for one that will do the brambles at the bottom of the garden as well.
If you're doing brambles and other more hardy types, consider a BFO strimmer or even a "brush cutter". I have a mid-range flymo from years ago but it struggles with nettles and brambles.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Brambles: cut them down, they come back stronger. Trust me. We cleared over 200 sq m of Brambles off the French garden. Only way is to dig/drag them out by the rts, and burn, or remove the plants you pull out.
Next year, you'll have a few, from the roots you missed, you do the same again. The third year, bramble free. Trust me: it's hard work, but the only way. (Ours were mixed in with chicken wire which was also buried a foor deep, so it was fun all the way)
Old 14 May 2010, 12:57 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Don't waste your money on an electric one, get this, it has a free hedge trimmer which you could cut back the brambles with, you can use what ever gauge wire you like in the trimmer, I use a metal braided one in mine as the plastic type wears very quickly when you are edging near brick or trees.

There are loads of other attachments for this as well.

£99.99

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/64862/...ment?ts=37833#
Old 14 May 2010, 01:37 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Don't waste your money on an electric one, get this, it has a free hedge trimmer which you could cut back the brambles with, you can use what ever gauge wire you like in the trimmer, I use a metal braided one in mine as the plastic type wears very quickly when you are edging near brick or trees.

£99.99

I have the same model and boy does it kill the **** out of everything it touches

Mrs swiss now bans me from doing the front lawn as I tend to get excited a tad and strim every ******* thing in sight...

Children and small animals beware
Old 14 May 2010, 02:07 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Yeah they are good, petrol all the way when it comes to garden equipment, electric stuff doesn't seem to last and is frustrating to use; unwind the cable on the trimmer, find the extension cord, unwind that, plug it in to mains, plug trimmer in to extension, lug the fecking cable round with you trying not to cut through it, pack it all away in a complete mess because it has pissed you off etc

Plus, using petrol stuff props up my masculinity and you can lend it to mates and neighbours and make your money back what you paid for it over the summer
Old 14 May 2010, 02:11 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Couldn't put it better myself

Got this model after a few recommendations on here about a year ago. In that time I have strimmed to buggery everything in the garden, had my arms and legs mullered by flying crap and been tempted to wear a lumberjack shirt

Petrol and oil mix smells lovely and cant hear the missus shouting at me when I am working away. Bliss
Old 14 May 2010, 02:25 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dedrater

£99.99

I have always been wary of these ones as I blew up a petrol mower as a teenager and set fire to a customers lawn.
Old 14 May 2010, 03:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Hutton, I know electric was specified but electric strimmers are pants when troubled with anything more than grass edges.

I got myself a cheap JCB petrol one for £70, also got myself a petrol mower too. Never looked back
Old 14 May 2010, 03:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Couldn't put it better myself

Got this model after a few recommendations on here about a year ago. In that time I have strimmed to buggery everything in the garden, had my arms and legs mullered by flying crap and been tempted to wear a lumberjack shirt

Petrol and oil mix smells lovely and cant hear the missus shouting at me when I am working away. Bliss
Ha ha! I love this, I have one at the French house and like it for the same reason. But BOY does it do some damage..........I've had a few rows with SWMBO over strimming her shrubs
Mine has a brush cutter blade too.
The only thing I DON'T like is that it does my back in using it for more than half an hour at a time.
Old 14 May 2010, 03:42 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
That's me, that is

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ha ha! I love this, I have one at the French house and like it for the same reason. But BOY does it do some damage..........I've had a few rows with SWMBO over strimming her shrubs
Mine has a brush cutter blade too.
The only thing I DON'T like is that it does my back in using it for more than half an hour at a time.
Upside - it destroys pretty much everything it comes into contact with
You feel manly pulling the rip cord to start it
Mixing the petrol and oil is a man's job, must be undertaken in your shed and is definately not for dainty wimmin to try
You cant hear the good lady shouting at you to stop murdering her <insert prized plants>

Downside - the weight/balance ratio is a bit tricky to get right for long periods.
This is usually offset by you coming in, throwing down your gloves and plastic eye protectors, announcing that boy that was hard work and suggesting that a good back massage would not go amiss
Old 14 May 2010, 04:21 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

pmsl, I might get all the man gear out later, sink a few Stella's, then pop into town for a fight