Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Think you are having a bad day? Electrocution kills 28 wedding guests in India!

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2010, 10:31 AM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think you are having a bad day? Electrocution kills 28 wedding guests in India!

Jesus H christ!! WTF?

Police in India say 28 people have been killed after a bus touched a high-voltage electricity cable and caught fire.

Many of the victims in the crash in Mandla in Madhya Pradesh were women

The passengers are believed to have been guests returning from a wedding.

It is believed the fire started when a steel cupboard tied to the vehicle's roof scraped the power line.

Police officer Ram Pyari Dhurwey said the accident occurred in Mandla district in the central Madhya Pradesh state.

The United News of India agency said three children and 12 women were among those killed on the bus, which was carrying 32 people.

Police chief K.K. Sharma told AFP: "There was a metal almirah (cabinet) on top of the bus which came in contact with a high-voltage power cable, resulting in the electrocution of 28 of the wedding guests."

It is the second accident in India in as many days.

At least 15 people were killed in eastern Bihar state on Thursday when a live power cable fell on their bus.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:34 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Bloomin heck, that is awful

I had no idea that could actually happen. After seeing the Top Gear test where Hammond sat inside a Golf and was zapped with many thousands of volts and was fine. The metal shell around the vehicle is meant to conduct the current into the ground and away from the people inside. I wonder if the bus was in contact with more than one thing to create a circuit
Old 14 May 2010, 10:46 AM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

I didn't either. All I can imagine is that a few milliseconds of controlled 'lightening' (as the Hamster demonstrated) behaves very differently to a national grids 400,000v flowing through a vehicle in an uncontrolled way.

There would be plenty of time for the voltage to break down what ever in needed to and zap the occupants on it's way down to earth.

Must have been an awful thing to witness.
Old 14 May 2010, 11:06 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that is not something I would have wanted to see. I hate the Health and Safety culture we have the UK, we have gone too far. However, you can see what happens when there is too little
Old 14 May 2010, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a tragedy.

Les
Old 14 May 2010, 01:34 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

nasty

Did post a video of some poor chap getting zapped on top of a train in india a while back, but it was pulled as it was deemed in bad taste. Probably very similar fate to what these poor souls went through on the bus