Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog Advice

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2010, 09:37 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dog Advice

My missus is doing my head in as she wants a dog. I have refused even consider it because we both leave the house at 7.30/8.00am everyday and aren't back to at least 6.30pm so any animal in the house would be left for long periods of time alone and i think that is cruel but after a year of contiunous nagging I'm about to break as she was mentioning kids names last me.

Am I right in thinking that this would be cruel on the dog? We have a small garden and a small house so a dog isn't going to have huge amount of space to roam free but I have been assured it will be walked morning and night.

With this in mind what dog (if any) should I be looking at? she wants a Mini-beagle but i heard they are a bit yappy!
Old 14 May 2010, 09:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would say it is cruel to the dog to leave it for such long periods. People do do it (and I did it when I was younger) but it doesn't really seem fair.

Most little dogs are yappy ... we have a 6 month old Yorkshire Terrier that is suprisingly more of a dog than I thought it would be: He is turning out to be huge though!

Old 14 May 2010, 09:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

He looks class! Cheers for the advice dude!
Old 14 May 2010, 09:51 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

jamz

tell her to wind her neck in. this is not fair on the dog leaving it on its own to **** n **** all over your floor. they need company and interaction and leaving from morning to night is not good. hey thats just me having had dogs all my life, until i was married.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I've always had dogs too BigSinky until I left the family home, Had a few boxer dogs and a ....er West Highland White so i do miss the company of a faithful friend but as said I just can't get past the cruel bit.

Speaking to people that do work and have dogs they don't seem to see it as a problem though Not only do i think it may be cruel, i also don't think its fair on my neighbours if i have a dog barking out my back all day.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:17 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

too right mate. had a next door neighbour when i was married and he let his alsation out at 6.30 am till he came home at 6pm. never shut its mouth all day. my wife at the time worked nights and she stuck it for a month before i went round and told him of the problem. he didnt seem to care so i called the council. after a few weeks he came round to say he had to have the dog put down as no one else would take it, as if it was my fault. some people don't deserve to own animals.
Old 15 May 2010, 05:04 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I dont think your lifestyle suits owning a dog, has she considered something a bit more independent like a cat?

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2010, 11:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think your feelings about it all are right Jamz.

Owning a dog involves a lot of responsibility and it also takes up a good bit of time. The poor dog would be lonely for such a long time during the working day and I think your neighbours would soon get fed up of him barking endlessly while you were away.

As was said, your lifestyle does not suit at the moment and it would be very unfair on the dog.

Les
Old 15 May 2010, 11:31 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I've always had dogs too BigSinky until I left the family home, Had a few boxer dogs and a ....er West Highland White so i do miss the company of a faithful friend but as said I just can't get past the cruel bit.

Speaking to people that do work and have dogs they don't seem to see it as a problem though Not only do i think it may be cruel, i also don't think its fair on my neighbours if i have a dog barking out my back all day.
I agree. Seems a shame for you, though.

This is our big soft lump

We both work and kids are at Uni and School, but the longest he is ever left is about 4 hours, twice a week and that is indoors. He gets two good walks a day and play time at night.
He is no bother, but I know if I left him all day, he would bark and bark. The neighbours dogs set him off too, if they start barking.
Old 15 May 2010, 11:46 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have to agree that with it being left alone for so long each day its not really right to get one. The biggest problem is, with such busy lives where does the dog ACTUALLY fit in. Does not sound like there is much time for the walking and interaction that it would need.

Dogs are indeed fine being left alone for long periods, but it shapes their mentality and you really would not get the best of having a dog that way.

A guy at work went on a mission adopting rescue GSD's. Sadly he has 3 now, and they are at home in the kitchen from about 8am til 7pm.... So much for the rescue eh!
Old 15 May 2010, 03:06 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Disagree with a lot of the above - I had two dogs for many years, a weimaraner and a springer spaniel, they lived in a purpose built dog run that was 30ft x 15 ft with shelter from the elements and they were both quite content to be in there. They were regularly exercised on long free runs across local fields or on the beach / sea.

In my opinion if the dog gets used to you being away for a number of hours in the day it will be fine. It is those who buy a young dog, pay it loads of attention for a couple of days then bugger off to work for 8 or 10 hours that are inviting trouble. Any dog needs to get used to its owner not being around all the time. Get it right and the dog will be fine, get it wrong it will make the dog a whining pain in the **** for you and your neighbours and bring you all manner of hassles.
Old 15 May 2010, 06:09 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

leaving a dog alone for that length of time is totally wrong !