Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2010, 08:49 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF: Thousands flock to Vatican to back pope over abuse

The world has gone crazy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_vatican_pope

VATICAN CITY – More than 100,000 people filled St. Peter's Square on Sunday in a major show of support for Pope Benedict XVI over the clerical sex abuse scandal.

"We want to show our solidarity to the pope and transmit the message that single individuals make mistakes but institutions, faith and religion cannot be questioned," Alemanno told Associated Press Television News. "We will not allow this."
Old 17 May 2010, 08:51 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

It'd be a different story if it was their asses.
Old 18 May 2010, 06:36 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Myles
It'd be a different story if it was their asses.
It probably was in most instances
Old 18 May 2010, 10:04 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i guess it saves having babies
Old 18 May 2010, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The people were right of course. The religion certainly does not support that kind of behaviour in any way at all.

As ever, the problems were down to individuals who should be booted out and prosecuted. Goes for any who knew what was happening and covered it up too.

Les
Old 18 May 2010, 11:29 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It's a backward religion Les. Stop defending these brainwashed morons.
Old 18 May 2010, 12:19 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Lol. As opposed to a 'forward' religion.

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2010, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
In the first place, you would be well advised to stop trying to order me about!

I will defend anyone whom I see being castigated unfairly and in such a nasty manner through nothing better than a single minded and biased opinion.

This is still a free country, more or less, and we are all entitled to our own opinions of course. That does not mean that gives people the right to ignore the simple rules of decency and good manners.

Les
Old 18 May 2010, 12:49 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Sounds like they've all gone to the Vatican to get behind the Pope and give him a big push..........of moral support
Old 18 May 2010, 02:45 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The people were right of course. The religion certainly does not support that kind of behaviour in any way at all.

As ever, the problems were down to individuals who should be booted out and prosecuted. Goes for any who knew what was happening and covered it up too.

Les

Te people were blindly defending the indefensible. This scandal goes from top to bottom (pardon the pun) and the Pope should have taken positive action.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Te people were blindly defending the indefensible. This scandal goes from top to bottom (pardon the pun) and the Pope should have taken positive action.
I would expect them to be actually defending their religion rather that anything else since it would never sanction such shameful behaviour and they were frightend that it might fall apart.

As I said above, all those who were guilty of such disgusting behaviour and those who covered it up and even left the perpetrators in a position to continue should be rooted out and punished accordingly, without exception!

Les
Old 19 May 2010, 12:13 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

The religion is a joke, backed up with lies that have came through the ages & still people worship ............. nothing.
Old 19 May 2010, 01:10 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

I went to Israel for 4 months a while back on a contract. That was an education!

My hire car got stoned because I was driving it down the wrong street on the Sabbath (Saturday). On Saturdays you couldn't get warm food in the Hotel and they turned off all the lifts! I got physically kicked out of a deli because I mixed some ham with some cheese.

I asked why Jews don't eat pork. The answer I eventually got to was quite interesting. Way back when there was a plague affecting the swine population and people who ate the infected meat were getting very ill. There were no police as such so they couldn't enforce a rule saying 'do not eat pork' so the religious leaders hatched the Kosher rules.

People followed the religious rules and stopped being poisoned... the plague passed and even to this day they wont eat pork!!!

Yet another anachronism!
Old 19 May 2010, 01:59 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would expect them to be actually defending their religion rather that anything else since it would never sanction such shameful behaviour and they were frightend that it might fall apart.

As I said above, all those who were guilty of such disgusting behaviour and those who covered it up and even left the perpetrators in a position to continue should be rooted out and punished accordingly, without exception!

Les
Les,

I don't think anyone believes that Catholicism allows the abuse of children. What is absolutely disgraceful is the way the institution that is the Catholic Church has tried to cover up what happened and not take approptiate action.

The fact that the Catholic Church views the "scandal" of what has happened as a bigger issue than the abuse itself, says it all.
Old 19 May 2010, 04:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Les,

I don't think anyone believes that Catholicism allows the abuse of children. What is absolutely disgraceful is the way the institution that is the Catholic Church has tried to cover up what happened and not take approptiate action.

The fact that the Catholic Church views the "scandal" of what has happened as a bigger issue than the abuse itself, says it all.
Well I don't know about that, if that is the case then I agree with what you say.

The rest of what I said in my post should cover everything else.

Les
Old 19 May 2010, 04:21 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Les
If your local football team was being used as a vehicle to express extremist views, then you would not take positive action to protect the team, you would express your horror about the extremists views being pushed from the team.
Same with the Catholics, dont protect the religion, distance it from the atrocities, but express your horror at the fact that the religion is being used as the vehicle for the abuse.

Denial sucks, especially for the ones who seek publicity and understanding for their suffering.
Old 19 May 2010, 04:26 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Les
Classic!
Old 19 May 2010, 04:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Les,

^^^^^^^^^^^Agree wholeheartedly with the above, well put!^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 19 May 2010, 05:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If your local football team was being used as a vehicle to express extremist views, then you would not take positive action to protect the team, you would express your horror about the extremists views being pushed from the team.
Same with the Catholics, dont protect the religion, distance it from the atrocities, but express your horror at the fact that the religion is being used as the vehicle for the abuse.

Denial sucks, especially for the ones who seek publicity and understanding for their suffering.
I can't really understand why you made that post unless you are looking for a way to attack me or maybe any way you can to denigrate religion itself.

I really don't need a parable to understand the situation, I am in fact well able to work out the intricacies of the affair. It is not rocket science as they say!

There is nothing wrong with the basic religion in that it teaches its followers to live a good and unselfish life. You just can't knock that. Are you trying to blame the religion and its teachings for what they did?

If you read my posts properly you might just be able to understand what I said about those who were guilty of the disgusting behaviour towards those children and also those who knew about it and covered it up. What more can I say? It was plain enough.

As I have said often enough about any of the religions, it is always the people who are guilty of the wrongs.

Kindly explain where I was guilty of denial if you don't mind.

Les
Old 19 May 2010, 05:08 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Jesus (no pun intended), you are really touchy about this. I never intended to aim any of this at you, and the denial comment was meant generally in the Catholic religion.

My last comment Ill make on my last comment (if that makes sense) is that I had no intention of insulting/upsetting/aiming the comment at you. As you took it that way, I apologise.

I have no problem with religion itself, (I have no connection with it apart from Remembrance Day parades etc.) but I have a big problem with the misery that is attached to it.
Old 20 May 2010, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Jesus (no pun intended), you are really touchy about this. I never intended to aim any of this at you, and the denial comment was meant generally in the Catholic religion.

My last comment Ill make on my last comment (if that makes sense) is that I had no intention of insulting/upsetting/aiming the comment at you. As you took it that way, I apologise.

I have no problem with religion itself, (I have no connection with it apart from Remembrance Day parades etc.) but I have a big problem with the misery that is attached to it.
Fair enough and I have to admit that I overreacted in my reply. I made an assumption which I now see was wrong. Probably because I am so used to getting hammered over religious matters! My turn to say sorry too!

I am certainly just as upset by the misery that those children must have suffered and probablyl still do. That is unforgiveable and those responsible should be punished severely for it, as well as those who knew about it and did nothing in a mistaken effort to avoid all the bad publicity etc. That was grossly irresponsible and has only made the whole business worse in every respect. I am sure that you realise that I blame the people concerned and that it was not caused by the religion itself but by the people concerned with those offences.

Les
Old 20 May 2010, 02:46 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Sadly, 99.999% of people are stupid. (Religion, climate change, voting for politicians etc etc).
Old 20 May 2010, 04:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Fair enough and I have to admit that I overreacted in my reply. I made an assumption which I now see was wrong. Probably because I am so used to getting hammered over religious matters! My turn to say sorry too!

I am certainly just as upset by the misery that those children must have suffered and probablyl still do. That is unforgiveable and those responsible should be punished severely for it, as well as those who knew about it and did nothing in a mistaken effort to avoid all the bad publicity etc. That was grossly irresponsible and has only made the whole business worse in every respect. I am sure that you realise that I blame the people concerned and that it was not caused by the religion itself but by the people concerned with those offences.

Les
Thanks Les, and thanks for the reply to my PM.
Old 21 May 2010, 02:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Old 21 May 2010, 03:00 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Flock = sheep. Sheep = follow. Follow = No sense of self.
Old 21 May 2010, 03:12 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

God spelt backwards is Dog.