Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Busking.......

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2010, 07:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Busking.......

My boy is in Dublin playing in a band but to get a bit of beer money has started some busking in the city. Anyone tried their hand at this?

They really enjoy it until it rains and are now getting to know the good pitches and what the crowd like. On a bad day it's hardish work for little return but a good day can bring in 40 Euros an hour so better than McDonalds and a lot more fun.

So if you are over there and see this dodgy pair in Grafton St be nice. My boy on acoustic and his mate Sam on bass. I think they are quite good but then I would say that wouldn't I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJE96zwOiE

David
Old 19 May 2010, 07:43 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

They are good unfortunately i am banned from Ireland
Old 19 May 2010, 08:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I really enjoyed that. Very, very good
Old 19 May 2010, 10:28 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Impressive
Old 19 May 2010, 10:35 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Sorry, not to do with your son but as funny story about busking. Recently some friends and I went to Sweden for....er..the culture (culture being blondes) and one night we were walking back to the hotel and there was some bloke busking. He had nobody around him and was generating little interest. My mate Dave is an amazing guitarist. He asked to have a go, and within minutes people were flocking round him, throwing down loads of money, and requesting songs. Even the busker was making requests lol.

I was amazed at how much money you could take from it.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:35 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Sorry, not to do with your son but as funny story about busking. Recently some friends and I went to Sweden for....er..the culture (culture being blondes) and one night we were walking back to the hotel and there was some bloke busking. He had nobody around him and was generating little interest. My mate Dave is an amazing guitarist. He asked to have a go, and within minutes people were flocking round him, throwing down loads of money, and requesting songs. Even the busker was making requests lol.

I was amazed at how much money you could take from it.
Old 19 May 2010, 11:49 PM
ODWOC
BANNED

Perhaps the Pete Doherty lookalike should take a leaf form 'Amazing Dave's' book and actually play where there are likely to be passers-by, rather than the empty top floor of a multi-storey car park
Old 20 May 2010, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you should be prepared for when they really hit the high time and he is able to buy you out!

Les
Old 20 May 2010, 06:37 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My nephew from Canada used to regard Grafton St as a cash point when working as an intern in Dublin. If people were off for some beers after work he'd nip down to Grafton St "to do a withdrawal" do a quick hour singing and playing his guitar and would be disappointed at less than 80 euros!

After a few months there, he set off on a back packers tour around Europe and about two months in he finally graced us with a call saying that he'd got off the train in Marseile Docks at midnight, as you do, and was surprised to be robbed of almost everything he owned, including his passport and wallet. I assumed this was a cry for help and so started saying "Ok where can I send some money to"? only to be told that was 5 weeks ago and because he had been allowed to keep his guitar he'd basically travelled all around Europe paying for eveything with his music. He'd only finally got in touch because he'd eventually run up against the UK border police, and so had to do something about his passport and needed a referee...

He then topped it the next year by going to China for a couple of weeks in his first summer off as a medical student and ended up doing a national tour in two different local bands - one rock and one jazz. Yes, he is very annoying / very talented .

His dad, my big bro, has spent the best part of 50 years trying to play good blues guitar only to have his, at that point, 12 year old sun point out the bit Dad was getting wrong in Crosstown Traffic by playing it better on his violin as he wandered casually through the room. He's one of those annoying kids who can play about 10 instruments and seems to be able to play anything he picks up within about ten minutes.

Proud Uncle FB