Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well that didn't take long did it?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2010, 07:52 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Well that didn't take long did it?

I know we're in debt, but they knew that when they committed to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...d-driving.html

Clegg and Cameron, here's an idea for your so called "new politics".

Do what you fecking commit to!!

*******s.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:05 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I am still not too sure how two parties so opposed ot each others ideas and ideals can get together. the reason people voted for them is that they believe in them, at at least can relate partly.

To put to parties with opposed views together to work together and make decisions together can and will only lead to problems. watered down solutions/outcomes to ideas because they are so far apart ideals wise. It is a good thing that a party has left centre and right supporters because they are mostly facing in the right direction. Leb Dem and Tory is a recipe for disaster and weak, uncohesive government and policies.

Clegg and Cameron say they and thier parties are not that far apart, well if that was the case then they would all be Tories or Lib Dems and not two parties.

The Tories already flip-floping over the EU and resitricing and reviewing the EU's strangle hold on the UK - A lot of tory voters must be wondering why they voted for them and yet again we have another slimey two-faced gutless PM.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:11 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

interesting -- the Tories could be commiting long term political suicide if they are seen to "squeeze the middle classes till the pips hurt"

in my view, especially in economic tough times money flows up the social sprectrum (trickle down economics is bunkum anyway) - I would expect to see in the next few years the top 5 - 10% income earners start to break away from the rest of the country and the gap between the rich and the middle classes start to really broaden.

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 May 2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:22 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
No no no! You don't understand Paul. Clegg explained it. Apparently the LibDums and Tories always agreed on things, it's just that they used different words ......

Dave
Yup, silly me, for example I can see how anti-EU and pro-EU could be the same thing just differnt ways of saying it.

I am such a feckwit
Old 21 May 2010, 10:17 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I am laughing a little here at all these threads popping up in NSR. Next you lot will be wnating Labour back

Anyway my point is in the run up to the election there was a thread on here about how much the motorist got hit for tax under Labour (a factulaly incorrect trhead as usual of course) and that it would be so much better when the Tories got in.

I asked where in the Tory manifesto it said they were going to reduce taxation on the motorist. Of course it didn't and now they are in power (sort of) and the cost of motoring is about to rise.

Happy now everyone ?
Old 21 May 2010, 10:52 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Costs for motorists were always going to rise. I know the Torries wanted to do something to help motorists, but the Liberals were massively against this. Couple that with the massive debt and it was goodbye fuel tax help

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2010, 11:02 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

yes - presumably people were expecting petrol stations to hand out sweets and a free neck massage with every fill up

people forget it was the Tories who introduced the concept of the fuel escalator
Old 21 May 2010, 11:34 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
yes - presumably people were expecting petrol stations to hand out sweets and a free neck massage with every fill up

people forget it was the Tories who introduced the concept of the fuel escalator
Well they will get a reminder now LOL

Where are all the posters who were saying this would be so much better under a new government despite the fact none of them pledged to do anything to help the motorist?
Old 21 May 2010, 11:53 AM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

It seemed too good to be true...
Old 21 May 2010, 12:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is that the UK is bankrupt. Cutting spending and increasing taxes has to happen or we are ****ed.

Its clear that having now established just how bad it actually is, the conservative's manifesto pledges were simply not viable anyway.

That's Brown and Darling's legacy. I doubt very much that the new government is trying to **** of the majority of its electorate just for fun.

If it gets us out of this massive hole, then I welcome the changes, even if it does cost me a bit more every month.

We need to stop looking inwards and whingeing selfishly about our own circumstances, and look to the bigger picture of securing our future - especially those of you with kids.
Old 21 May 2010, 12:15 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

"Ask not what your country can do for you ...."

Suck it up people.
Old 21 May 2010, 12:17 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landings

Suck it up people.
I heard that on the radio this morning and it really resonated with me.
Old 21 May 2010, 12:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

******* Lib-Dems.
Old 21 May 2010, 12:19 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Bottom line is that the UK is bankrupt. Cutting spending and increasing taxes has to happen or we are ****ed.

Its clear that having now established just how bad it actually is, the conservative's manifesto pledges were simply not viable anyway.

That's Brown and Darling's legacy. I doubt very much that the new government is trying to **** of the majority of its electorate just for fun.

If it gets us out of this massive hole, then I welcome the changes, even if it does cost me a bit more every month.

We need to stop looking inwards and whingeing selfishly about our own circumstances, and look to the bigger picture of securing our future - especially those of you with kids.
That's exactly the way I see it, well summed up

Problem is that Brown and Darling should be brought to account over getting the country into such a fcuked up state in the first place but of course they won't, they've got their cushy opposition MP jobs now along with all the other fringe benefits and other pies they have their fingers in
Old 21 May 2010, 12:39 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Yes, yes yes, let's get Brown and Darling strung up from lamp posts outside Parliament.

However they had it in their manifesto to cut fuel duty if petrol prices went up. That pledge has now gone.

As I said before the election, it's all a bloody con. They say what they'd do if you put them in power, then renege on those commitments.
Old 21 May 2010, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This is at the heart of the whole business. We have to realise just how badly off the country is after the crass government by the previous bunch of rubbish. They can't publish it without loss of financial confidance which would hinder their attempts at the secovery.

The coalition is a bad situation. The Conservatives are being severely restricted by the Libs and what we actually need is a dose of strong Conservative policies.

We knew before the election that we were going to get it in the neck, there is just no point in whining about the policies, if the country collapses like Greece, and I reckon that is not so far off if insufficient action is taken, we would be well and truly on our beam ends. Any savings would go to the wall!

What we can object to is the effect that the Lib input will have and that is from a party which only achieved 57 seats.

I think they would have done better to have a minority government and another election in the near future.

Les
Old 21 May 2010, 12:49 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

What we can object to is the effect that the Lib input will have and that is from a party which only achieved 57 seats.
Yes, that rubs me.
Old 21 May 2010, 01:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You know listening to some of you on here it's like the world recession never happened. Yes Brown's policies didn't help, but you all seem to ignore the fact that the worst economic downturn globally since the late 1930s has been visited upon us.

There are countries far worse off than us and while I am happy to see the back of Brown et al the myopic view of them bring all these ills upon us is just crap. It's that sort of thinking and the corollary that Cameron will save us all that leads to more of the same. We as individuals now need to play our part and we cannot rely on any government to solely get us out of this mess.
Old 21 May 2010, 01:32 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
You know listening to some of you on here it's like the world recession never happened. Yes Brown's policies didn't help, but you all seem to ignore the fact that the worst economic downturn globally since the late 1930s has been visited upon us.

There are countries far worse off than us and while I am happy to see the back of Brown et al the myopic view of them bring all these ills upon us is just crap. It's that sort of thinking and the corollary that Cameron will save us all that leads to more of the same. We as individuals now need to play our part and we cannot rely on any government to solely get us out of this mess.
If your comments were aimed at my post Then I'd ask you to read it again.

My point is that Brown and Darling's legacy is that its even worse than they admitted to, and that it needn't have been quite as bad as it is.

Its a point of fact that they didn't cause the problem. It is however, clearly apparent the manner in which they acted during the 13 years of labour rule left us in a worse financial position than we might otherwise have been - Brown's errors of judgement are well documented.
Old 21 May 2010, 01:33 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Yes, yes yes, let's get Brown and Darling strung up from lamp posts outside Parliament.

However they had it in their manifesto to cut fuel duty if petrol prices went up. That pledge has now gone.

As I said before the election, it's all a bloody con. They say what they'd do if you put them in power, then renege on those commitments.
I don't disagree mate, but con or not, fixing the problem is far more important.
Old 21 May 2010, 02:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If your comments were aimed at my post Then I'd ask you to read it again.

My point is that Brown and Darling's legacy is that its even worse than they admitted to, and that it needn't have been quite as bad as it is.

Its a point of fact that they didn't cause the problem. It is however, clearly apparent the manner in which they acted during the 13 years of labour rule left us in a worse financial position than we might otherwise have been - Brown's errors of judgement are well documented.
Thanks for that, but no, wasn't aimed at you as it happens.

The last line of your previous post is probably the most sensible statement made on ths thread.
Old 21 May 2010, 02:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

isn't that the point though -- people get the state of the country and the state of the public finances confused

they are different

the state of the pubic finances is shocking -- but the country (health / education) is better than it was -- could it be better yes. was money wasted yes

and in fact David Cameron alluded to this fact when he made his speech outside No 10
Old 21 May 2010, 02:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No I certainly have not forgotten about the world recession. But how did it start? We know the greedy bankers were fiddling the loans to get the most commission and they were also knowingly re-selling toxic loans as good ones to make even larger profits.

But who stood by and let it happen? What was the FSA up to and why were its hands tied so that NL could muck in with the people making the real cash?

At the same time, our economy was being run down to a parlous state so that as soon as the recession appeared on the scene, we were in a very bad situation to be able to withstand it.

Finally, the govrnment spending on useless projects was continued under the guise of saving the recovery which might have looked good since we were not feeling the pinch, but the national debt was increasing out of sight and as the Labour finance minister said in his note, " there is no money left" ! He was obviously not really joking!

Thats what we are complaining about.

Les
Old 21 May 2010, 03:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
No I certainly have not forgotten about the world recession. But how did it start? We know the greedy bankers were fiddling the loans to get the most commission and they were also knowingly re-selling toxic loans as good ones to make even larger profits.

But who stood by and let it happen? What was the FSA up to and why were its hands tied so that NL could muck in with the people making the real cash?

At the same time, our economy was being run down to a parlous state so that as soon as the recession appeared on the scene, we were in a very bad situation to be able to withstand it.

Finally, the govrnment spending on useless projects was continued under the guise of saving the recovery which might have looked good since we were not feeling the pinch, but the national debt was increasing out of sight and as the Labour finance minister said in his note, " there is no money left" ! He was obviously not really joking!

Thats what we are complaining about.

Les
But Les my point is we knew that already and now we need to get on with it and do what we can to sort it out. No amount of moaning about Brown and his cronies is going to change where we are.

We now need to do what we can to sort this country out for the good of future generations. There is no other way forward.
Old 21 May 2010, 03:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

But Les my point is we knew that already and now we need to get on with it and do what we can to sort it out. No amount of moaning about Brown and his cronies is going to change where we are.

We now need to do what we can to sort this country out for the good of future generations. There is no other way forward.
Yes you are absolutely right of course. Just hope they can do it.

Les
Old 21 May 2010, 03:51 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

You do all know that nothing will change, the country will not be "sorted out"? Western countries are on a collison course with disaster.
Old 21 May 2010, 03:54 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Suck it up people.
Agreed! Deal with it! We all need to do our bit now to sort this mess out.
Old 21 May 2010, 03:58 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Suck it up people.
Usual rehtoric garbage. These people are "voted into place" to manage the "sorting of the mess". That is what we pay our taxes for.

Yeah. Suck it up and realise that "Govn't" is just a big ponzi scheme, like shares etc.
Old 22 May 2010, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Usual rehtoric garbage. These people are "voted into place" to manage the "sorting of the mess". That is what we pay our taxes for.

Yeah. Suck it up and realise that "Govn't" is just a big ponzi scheme, like shares etc.
What would you suggest to take its place then?

Les