Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ashes To Ashes - finalé

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2010, 02:39 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ashes To Ashes - finalé

Go on then, how did it finish and what did it mean?

I've only seen the last two episodes, so could someone fill in the gaps?

I assume by the comment at the end of the last episode regarding the iPhone means there will be another series
Old 22 May 2010, 03:34 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

everybody was dead, tragically. They were in purgatory waiting to prove themselves - they could either do the right thing and be led to 'the pub' or they could do the wrong thing and descend quite a few floors in the magic lift to hell. Naughty copper was trying to tempt souls into going the wrong way, with booze and *****.

Gene Hunt says Sam Tyler's last words were he was gasping for a pint and he told him to get a round in, so Sam Tyler went to the pub.

Everyone else did too, apart from the quattro, which was a shame. Hunt stays behind to carry on his task of guiding souls through purgatory, hopefully redeeming themselves and going to 'the pub'. The guy at the end wasn't indicative of another series, it just means Hunt is staying behind to plod on (gettit?) with his task.

Did I miss much?

Last edited by tathan; 22 May 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 22 May 2010, 06:44 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much spot-on, but I hope there is a new series, and it'll be a Merc 190 Evo for the next car
Old 22 May 2010, 08:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has been a good series and I certainly hope they do it again.

Les
Old 22 May 2010, 10:35 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It kind of ended in a the sort of way I thought it would with Keats being the "devil". I could never see DCI Hunt being the Lord Almighty so I thought the way they explained his character/personality was quite clever. If the main characters are all deceased coppers then who are all the background characters and villains etc and is there an alternative reality/purgatory for chartered accountants, plumbers and shop workers?

No time had passed in the real world for Drake as Keats' watch is stuck at 9:06. At the beginning of this series Drake appeared to be back in reality having come round from the coma or was she still in the coma and not really back in reality if she actually dies at 9:06? Sam Tyler also came out of his coma but then actually killed himself sending him back to the Gene Hunt world. Is Jim Keats an anagram for anything satanic do you reckon?
Old 22 May 2010, 10:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hes a pretty lousy stand-up

B honest i think they made it up as they went along ...!

What happened to her husband ..!
Old 22 May 2010, 10:44 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Here you go:http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...ode?CMP=twt_gu

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2010, 10:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why was Hunt buried in a shallow grave on that hillside?

Makes Damages look simple

dl
Old 22 May 2010, 11:13 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Interesting reading, they always say that Police officers are lost souls, now I see we've got someone to gide us to Heaven!
Old 22 May 2010, 11:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
It kind of ended in a the sort of way I thought it would with Keats being the "devil". I could never see DCI Hunt being the Lord Almighty so I thought the way they explained his character/personality was quite clever. If the main characters are all deceased coppers then who are all the background characters and villains etc and is there an alternative reality/purgatory for chartered accountants, plumbers and shop workers?

No time had passed in the real world for Drake as Keats' watch is stuck at 9:06. At the beginning of this series Drake appeared to be back in reality having come round from the coma or was she still in the coma and not really back in reality if she actually dies at 9:06? Sam Tyler also came out of his coma but then actually killed himself sending him back to the Gene Hunt world. Is Jim Keats an anagram for anything satanic do you reckon?
Do you think that chartered accountants would make it as far as Purgatory?

Les
Old 22 May 2010, 02:01 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

I think Lawyers and Politicians go straight to the hot place, no Purgatory required!
Old 22 May 2010, 02:04 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

......and weren't they always in Nelson's pub in Life on Mars. He must have turned off the Heaven teleporter?
Old 22 May 2010, 10:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Parallels to the final episode of Quantum Leap where Sam is in the bar anyone?

Not a bad ending. Gene continues to help those to the pub, and the iPhone chappy would obviously be a link to the 2000's version of Sam and Alex, however the "The End" card would indicate that the book is now closed, and I believe Philip Glenister has said that he's done with Gene, though who is to say he won't be back in a few years.

As for how they were always in the pub, well, my guess is that they had not fulfilled their "goal" to be sent on their way, hence why they could be in the pub but not move on, it was only with them finally realizing and accepting they were in purgatory that they could move on.
Old 22 May 2010, 11:08 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
Parallels to the final episode of Quantum Leap where Sam is in the bar anyone?

Not a bad ending. Gene continues to help those to the pub, and the iPhone chappy would obviously be a link to the 2000's version of Sam and Alex, however the "The End" card would indicate that the book is now closed, and I believe Philip Glenister has said that he's done with Gene, though who is to say he won't be back in a few years.

As for how they were always in the pub, well, my guess is that they had not fulfilled their "goal" to be sent on their way, hence why they could be in the pub but not move on, it was only with them finally realizing and accepting they were in purgatory that they could move on.
Quantum Leap did that not end with a crippled miner or something? I was only 10 when the series finished so I am a little rusty.
Old 23 May 2010, 01:03 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
B honest i think they made it up as they went along ...!

What happened to her husband ..!
Nah, it's littered with clues when you rewatch it. Most of all, the title is ashes to ashes... not only the obvious Life on Mars link but it's part of the Christian funerary prayer, right before they say you'll be saved and have eternal life.

The show's full of lines such as "whenever you find Gene Hunt you'll find dead coppers" as well
Old 23 May 2010, 01:10 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yes, Sam leaped in to help a miner. The bar owner, was I think meant to be god, and various other people in the bar shared the same names as people from Sam's life (Al, Gushie, etc..). It was implied that Sam's apparent random leaping was due to God putting him in the right place at the right time to help out. Sam also saw someone else in the bar leap, indicating he was not the only leaper/helper.

The last leap he makes is to go and tell Al's wife that he's not dead, prior to that she believed Al was dead and this led her to marry someone else and caused strife between them, and thus Al ended up working on Project Quantum Leap. As Sam went back and change things, putting right what once went wrong, it's said he leaped and was never seen again. I think the implication is that fixing Al and Beth meant that Al and Sam never met and Project Quantum Leap never happened.

Weird thing is they were meant to be rebooting it, with Sam's daughter taking his place as the leaper.

Have to say I did like QL, especially the "Evil Leaper" episodes.