Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Health & Safety Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2010, 07:05 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Health & Safety Gurus

Whats the time limits for working off step ladders .
Old 23 May 2010, 08:23 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

your not allowed to on most building sites now. got to use a scaffolding tower or a podium. the fold out benches are allowed if there a certain width. fukin annoying rules.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:26 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

It's no wonder "other countries" are catching up with us
Old 23 May 2010, 08:36 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by firebug
your not allowed to on most building sites now. got to use a scaffolding tower or a podium. the fold out benches are allowed if there a certain width. fukin annoying rules.
cheers for that , but step ladders are not banned from use under the work at height regs 2005, although I know its risk managed my undestanding is that your allowed to used steps for around 20 minutes . my queery is if your doing repetative work , how long is it till your allowed back on the steps.
Old 23 May 2010, 10:02 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I think it's 30 mins, and you're always supposed to have three points of contact with the ladder.

Aaron
Old 23 May 2010, 10:07 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

this might be some help http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg402.pdf
Old 24 May 2010, 08:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We will eventually have to do walking courses to be allowed to go shopping!

Les
Old 24 May 2010, 09:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
We will eventually have to do walking courses to be allowed to go shopping!

Les
Can you imagine what will ahppen if they ever get thier hands on the armed forces, no guns, no baynets, deffo no explosives - far to dangerous, someone might end up getting hurt even killed
Old 24 May 2010, 09:53 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Can you imagine what will ahppen if they ever get thier hands on the armed forces, no guns, no baynets, deffo no explosives - far to dangerous, someone might end up getting hurt even killed
They've already had a go at us - I hosted a HSW inspection in Basrah in 2004, less than a year after the end of the war and whilst we were still in a hostile environment. The guy loved his 2 and a 1/2 patrol in the blazing sun NOT
Old 24 May 2010, 11:32 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
Cheers Aaron seems that the HSE are saying 30 minutes but CITB say 15 minutes. With SG4:10 about to be released in November it looks like the scaffstep is going to have some teething problems
Old 24 May 2010, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Whats the time limits for working off step ladders .
When you start feeling tired or even dizzy perhap's.

Les
Old 24 May 2010, 11:55 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny how we managed with ladders for hundreds of years, they built a lot of Britain, etc, but now they're not ok to use. Eventually we'll need to protect ourselves to such an extent that we'll just be sitting in a bubble controlling robots that do any physical work for us. They'll have us all like Steven Hawking!
Old 24 May 2010, 12:09 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Funny how we managed with ladders for hundreds of years, they built a lot of Britain, etc, but now they're not ok to use. Eventually we'll need to protect ourselves to such an extent that we'll just be sitting in a bubble controlling robots that do any physical work for us. They'll have us all like Steven Hawking!
Provisional figures show that 58 people died from a fall from height at work in 2007/08. Falls from height remain the most common kind of accident causing fatal injuries.
The number of fatalities in 2006/07 has been confirmed at 52, the provisional figure was 45.
Provisional figures (3623) for major injuries to workers in 2007/8P show that they accounted for about 12% of all major injuries, but continued the downward trend shown in recent years.
Falls from ladders resulted in 16 deaths and 1146 major injuries, amounting to over a quarter of all major injuries as a result of a fall from height.
:
Old 24 May 2010, 12:28 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose in this day and age with sites full of numpties without any form of common sense it's a good idea to keep ladders away from them!

Figures aren't too shocking to be honest, not surprising at all considering the requirement for harnesses, etc, now. It shouldn't be possible to hurt yourself these days with all the safety equipment... so hardly surprising that a large proportion of injuries due to falls from height are down to ladders, when you consider that they don't offer any kind of built in protection. They're about the last remaining manual tool for working at height that requires initiative in use.

Ironically though, the softer and less reliant on common sense people become, the more dangerous it will be for them to have any kind of responsibility with anything that could be potentially harmful.

Some health and safety is needed, but in my opinion the way things are now is a never ending spiral that's only going to become more restrictive and ridiculous as time goes on because of the point I made above. Not to mention the time and money it wastes.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 24 May 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 24 May 2010, 12:33 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Ironically though, the softer and less reliant on common sense people become, the more dangerous it will be for them to have any kind of responsibility with anything that could potentially hurt them.
I totally agree with the above at the end of the day common sense is all health & safety is. The problem lies with how people interprate some of the guidelines, thats when it starts going over the top
Old 24 May 2010, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I also agree with GlesgaKiss. we seem to be treated as though everything must be done to protect ourselves in every possible way. What that leads to is that people grow up thinking that someone else has made things safe for them and that they don't need to think for themselves any more. When things go wrong it is always someone else's fault of course!

Common sense stems from having to do things to look after yourself and you are then more likely to approach a problem in a safer and better way. Parental education in a child's formative years and ensuring that the child is responsible to a large extent for looking after him or herself is the best way to go I think.

Les
Old 24 May 2010, 01:28 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

But as soon as anything goes wrong it always comes back to the employer, training and h&s policies. Then the people who are so tired of h&s go down the claims route.

02 February 2008
Strain injury leads to forced retirement - manual handling
A factory worker from Port Talbot who was medically retired after suffering a repetitive strain injury (RSI) has received almost £17,000 in compensation. Unite member Barbara Newall, 48, worked as an accessory operator for Orion Electric UK Ltd. Her job was to bag the accessories that accompanied a DVD player; this included a remote control, a battery pack, an RF cable and, in some cases, an additional RF lead. She would pack approximately 4,500 bags per day. Thompsons Solicitors, acting for Mrs Newall on behalf of the union, argued the work system, work pace and lack of breaks led to her medical retirement. Mrs Newall said: 'When I worked at Orion there was no rotation of work and no rests from the continuous process other than the official breaks. All our time was spent at our work stations doing the same repetitive job. The condition of my right hand and wrist eventually became so bad that I couldn't continue working. Sadly the symptoms I've developed as a result have made it very difficult for me to cope around the home, for example ironing and dressing and undressing.' She's had one operation and is awaiting another. Andy Richards, Wales Unite regional secretary said: 'Her employer ignored her complaints of ill-health and continued to set very tough targets for the production line without adequate breaks. She has now been medically retired at just 48 and faces an uncertain future.'
• Thompsons Solicitors new release.

Engineer ousted after rupturing bicep
An engineer from Cumbria who ruptured the bicep in his right arm at work has received compensation, but has lost the job he loved. Unite member Geoffrey Loftus, 63, secured £95,000 compensation after being forced to retire on medical grounds as a result of the injury, sustained as the blow moulding engineer tightened a bolt. He has been unable to obtain alternative employment. The case was settled out of court just one week before it was due to go to trial. Mr Loftus explained: 'I was very sad when they terminated my employment on the grounds of ill-health. I have been a loyal worker for many years and losing my job was a terrible blow. If they had offered me a lighter job in one of the Barrow in Furness factories, I would have taken it but they didn't. Despite numerous job applications and signing up to computer courses, I've had no luck getting another job. I got very despondent because as soon as you even speak to someone and you say that you're over 60 they tend not be interested.' Unite regional secretary Laurence Faircloth said: 'Our member Mr Loftus deserves every penny of his compensation. Not long after his accident he signed himself fit and tried to return to work early as he loved his job but was sent home by his employers. As a result of their negligence, he is now struggling to get a job despite weekly visits to the job centre and his ongoing efforts to retrain.'
• Thompsons Solicitors news release.

Six figure miner payout but no job
Negligence at a Welsh mine has led to a £105,000 pay out for a collier who had to be medically retired after a falling stone broke a vertebrae in his neck. NUM member Alun Finney, 55, worked as a collier for Energybuild Limited at their Aberpergwm Colliery. The union argued that because the colliery failed to ensure the exposed coal face was properly supported before boring, Mr Finney was struck by a falling stone on the back of the head and sustained a fractured vertebra in his cervical spine. Mr Finney said: 'As I bent down to pick up the drill bit off the floor, a large piece of stone fell, striking me on the back of my neck. I was wearing my miner's cap at the time. My body immediately felt numb; I had no sensation and I couldn't move. I was taken to hospital and told I'd broken a vertebra. Since then I've suffered ongoing pain and stiffness in my back and neck, as well as headaches, blurred vision and flashbacks to the accident.' His contract was terminated and he says a job search has been unsuccessful because of his age and the injury. Wayne Thomas, the general secretary of NUM South Wales, said: 'Had it not been for the accident at work, our member Alun Finney would have continued to work in the mining industry until the normal retirement age of 65 years. Instead, he now faces over 10 years of uncertainty. We hope this serves as a warning to other employers to ensure that the correct health and safety procedures are in place.'
• Thompsons Solicitors news release.

Man loses fingers and wins compensation - guarding
A Coventry man whose hand was crushed in an inadequately guarded machine has been awarded more than £40,000 in damages. Parlvin Moyo, 37, who had to have two fingers amputated as a result of his injuries, was employed as a machine operative for Hydro Aluminium Extrusion Ltd in Warwick. He was working on a milling machine used to cut and grind metal components. As he removed one of the milled components his glove was caught by the rotary cutter and grinder and his right hand was pulled into the machine. The hand was severely crushed and Mr Moyo's index and middle fingers were so badly damaged they had to be amputated. The firm had failed to fit an adequate safety guard and had failed to properly train Mr Moyo in using the machine. His employers, Hydro Aluminium Extrusion Ltd, a subsidiary of Norsk Hydro UK Ltd, agreed an out of court settlement of £42,500. Keri Bowyer of law firm Irwin Mitchell, who represented Mr Moyo, said: 'Whilst I am pleased that we have brought a successful claim for Mr Moyo, this is an accident that could easily have been avoided if his employers had taken simple steps to ensure his safety at work.' She added: 'In this particular case, one straightforward, avoidable error has unfortunately had serious consequences for my client and although he is determined to move on with his life, he will nevertheless always carry the scars of what happened.'
• Irwin Mitchell news release.

Damaged machine wrecks hand - guarding
A major utilities company has been prosecuted for safety breaches that cost a worker four fingers and part of his palm. Severn Trent Water Ltd was fined £19,750 and ordered to pay £6,730 costs by Nottingham Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to safety offences. Dennis Hawksworth, 61, was trying to unblock a machine used for removing debris from sludge at Toton Sewage Treatment Works in Nottinghamshire, when his left hand became caught in the machinery. The interlock on the machine's lid was damaged, leaving the dangerous parts in the machine unguarded. Health and Safety Executive inspector David Butter said: 'This was an entirely avoidable accident which resulted in a man losing four fingers. Injuries from poorly-maintained equipment remain a significant and regular problem nationwide and companies must ensure that equipment is regularly inspected and maintained so workers aren't exposed to this kind of risk.'
• HSE news release.

Firm fined for crushed legs - equipment, guarding
A worker was left with 15 breaks to his legs when he was crushed by a mechanical hammer weighing over half a tonne. Forge worker William 'Billy' Heslop, 60, was seriously injured when the machine shattered leaving him with 10 compound fractures in his right leg and five to his left leg and ankle. Hartlepool firm Caparo Engineering, trading as Clydesdale Forge company, was fined £14,000 and ordered to pay £4,989 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching health and safety regulations. Following the incident, Mr Heslop quickly sunk into depression after being told by doctors that he might lose his leg. He spent three months bedridden and a further four months unable to move properly. Even now, 16 months after the incident, he faces the prospect of having his right leg rebuilt by surgeons, as the bones have not healed. 'I don't know whether I will be able to go back to work,' he said. 'I feel annoyed towards the company because as it's been said, it could have been prevented.' Dr David Shallow, prosecuting for the Health and Safety Executive, told the court that a 'catastrophic disintegration' of the machinery caused the incident. It happened after a counterbalance came loose and 'flew out' leaving the shattered casing on the factory floor. The court heard Mr Heslop had already received interim compensation payments and that a full settlement would be made at a later date.
• Hartlepool Mail.

Forklift injury costs company
A Hampshire company has been told to pay more almost £37,000 in fines and costs after an employee was hit by a forklift truck and left disabled. Lee McMahon suffered a crushed heel and other injuries in the incident. He is now in continuous pain and has to use a wheelchair. Mr McMahon was working at Harris Transport Limited in Totton when the incident occurred. Company director George Harris appeared last week at New Forest Magistrates' Court and admitted three offences under health and safety laws. The company failed to provide sufficient lighting in the workplace, failed to sufficiently assess risks to employees and failed to ensure the safety of an employee. Raymond Kelly, prosecuting, said Mr McMahon was working in the loading area when he was struck from behind by the forklift. Mr Kelly said the lights on the vehicle were defective, which meant the light level was 'appallingly low.' The company was fined a total of £28,000 for the three offences and was also ordered to pay costs totalling £8,986.
• Southern Daily Echo.

Food firm ignored manual handling risks
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is reminding companies of their legal duties on manual handling after an employee was injured when a 50kg sack of basmati rice fell on his neck. East End Foods plc pleaded guilty last week to safety offences and was fined £25,000 with £28,000 costs. Wolverhampton Crown Court heard an HSE investigation into the injury in June 2006 discovered large consignments of 50kg sacks of basmati rice were routinely being offloaded manually from containers without the use of any mechanical aids. The firm had received a December 2002 improvement notice from HSE, for failure to carry out satisfactory risk assessments for manual handling work. HSE's latest probe found in a typical six-month period, from January 2006 to June 2006, 1,700 tonnes or rice had been delivered that required offloading manually. It said East End Foods plc had failed to heed advice given by both HSE in 2002 and the company's own health and safety consultant in 2005. Speaking after the case, HSE inspector Judith Lloyd said: 'In the food and drink industry, 30 per cent of all acute injuries result from bad practice in manual handling. Stacking and de-stacking sacks, boxes and crates are amongst the top five causes of manual handling injuries in the food and drink industry. Studies have shown that three quarters of these injuries are preventable - that's why the HSE is vigilant in ensuring employers follow the rules and regulations set out for their industry.'
• HSE news release.

12 January 2008
Five years to deafen a worker - noise
A 40-year-old Lancashire man has been deafened by just five years of periodic exposure to excessive workplace noise. Mark Bulcock received £5,000 in damages after he lost his hearing because of the noisy machines at the sock manufacturer where he worked. He was exposed to a high-pitched noise at the Lancashire Sock Manufacturing Company between 1992 and 1997, whilst heating foam to bind material for ironing board covers. He endured noise measuring up to 106.2 decibels - several times the legal limit - for several minutes as often as 40 times a day. Health and safety regulations at the time said employees should be provided with protective ear wear when exposed to noise over 85 decibels. Lee Carnall from law firm Irwin Mitchell represented Mr Bulcock. He said: 'This claim shows that you do not have to be exposed to a constant level of noise to suffer a noise induced hearing loss. Employers should be taking steps to measure the sound levels and ensure that no employee is being exposed to noise above the levels set down by statute.' Lancashire Sock Manufacturing Company agreed to pay damages to Mr Bulcock prior to trial without the firm admitting liability. The workplace noise control law was tightened in April 2006 (Risks 247).
• Irwin Mitchell news release.

Construction giant fined after crane incident - equipment, control measures
One of Britain's largest construction firms has been fined for safety offences that cost a worker his foot. Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd (SRM) was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,526 at a sentencing hearing at the Old Bailey on 21 December 2007. SRM had earlier pleaded guilty to criminal breaches of safety law. The prosecution followed a July 2005 incident when an employee on a London construction site was hit by a lamp post which fell on his lower leg after being hit by a mobile crane. The risk had been identified but appropriate action was not taken. HSE inspector Monica Babb said: 'Crane operations can present serious risks and it is therefore essential that crane installation is properly planned and implemented. Management systems should be clear so that a safe system of work is employed and incidents such as this are avoided.'
Old 25 May 2010, 01:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Accidents due to machine failures can rightly be accepted to be the fault of the owner of the machinery.

When a worker receives an injury caused by his own lack of attention while doing his normal job, then I don't consider he is due any compensation.

Les